The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New AMSOIL 5W-50

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
F.D. Sako said:
Is the "member" price any lower?
I havent purchased anything from amsoil for a while, but i remember they offered lower prices to dealers and members.

Read somewhere the member price was $8.xx but I have not confirmed.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
WinterSucks said:
I do believe the quality is higher, being an ester based oil. BUT do you actually need that quality is the question in my mind. That would depend on the application and budget in my opinion.

I don't think anybody *needs* it. I might use it for the last change of the track 'season' and run that as the DD fill until the next track 'season'.

And let's not forget the "5w50" is just one (the most important yes) aspect of the oil. The Ford spec calls for all kinds of other qualities in the oil that were designed specifically for the attributes of this motor.

Oh and hello again. :)

DGRacing said:
And let's not forget the "5w50" is just one (the most important yes) aspect of the oil. The Ford spec calls for all kinds of other qualities in the oil that were designed specifically for the attributes of this motor.

Oh and hello again. :)
What are those (qualities) specifically ? The only thing I can find that is required is that the oil is nice to the emission system...

I haven't read the C spec yet but off the top of my head you have things like detergents, friction resilience, performance qualities at a range of ambient temps, rpms and the like. Some attributes contribute to maintaining power of the motor at full throttle etc. It can be like reading the tax code. But it's real stuff.

The only change I could find was that with the C revision the API spec has changed from SM to SN. If someone could post the actual spec, that would be cool. I'm not a fan of Amsoils marketing or sales force. By the way, they recommend it for use in vehicles that require the new Ford spec. Thats not really meeting spec. I'm curious as to what the actual requirement says. I have a feeling that 5w-50 API SN is equivalent.

TMO Supporting Vendors