The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New book: How to Build and Modify 2011-2014 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Wes, have read through the book this week and have learned a ton. Hoping to model my build using your book as a guide. Can I possibly ask you a couple questions?

I have the stock track pack 19" wheels and want to upgrade to S550 6 piston Brembo calipers. In your book, you went with the GT500 6 Piston calipers and they cleared the wheels. Do you know if the dimensions on the calipers are the same between the S550 Brembos and the GT500 Brembos?

Also noted you recommend Millers 5w50- is this for track use only or can I run it driving on the street as well. I do believe the 5w20 is just for CAFE regulations.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Nashville, TN
Wes, have read through the book this week and have learned a ton. Hoping to model my build using your book as a guide. Can I possibly ask you a couple questions?

I have the stock track pack 19" wheels and want to upgrade to S550 6 piston Brembo calipers. In your book, you went with the GT500 6 Piston calipers and they cleared the wheels. Do you know if the dimensions on the calipers are the same between the S550 Brembos and the GT500 Brembos?

Also noted you recommend Millers 5w50- is this for track use only or can I run it driving on the street as well. I do believe the 5w20 is just for CAFE regulations.
Regarding the calipers: I don't have that answer. I'll see if I can track that down, as not only would the outer dimensions matter, but also the piston area (for brake boost and bias).

Regarding the oil: track pack S197 cars called for 5w50 from the factory. Yes, 5w20 is just to reduce pumping losses. Oil with better HTHS keeps parts away from each other better, but also can increase pumping losses. You can run the Millers 5w50 oil on the street as well. Personally, I always make sure the engine is up to operating temp before revving the snot out of it, of course.

Miller's oils are top-notch. Their closest rival on performance would be Motul. Here's the US distributor: https://performanceracingoils.com

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Sent today! Sorry for the delay. I was out at Laguna Seca for IMSA and then doing a Ford gig in Detroit until today.
On a long flight from CA to Atlanta today - time flies by with a great read!

I really like the transmission cradle that you fab’d up for your floor jack. I knew I had seen something similar online - it made me laugh when I went back to the bookmark and realized it was an article you had written for Motor Trend! Quick question - the dimensions listed in the book are slightly different than in this web article - is one of these designs best suited for the Magnum XL?

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1804-diy-make-a-transmission-jack-adapter/

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Nashville, TN
On a long flight from CA to Atlanta today - time flies by with a great read!

I really like the transmission cradle that you fab’d up for your floor jack. I knew I had seen something similar online - it made me laugh when I went back to the bookmark and realized it was an article you had written for Motor Trend! Quick question - the dimensions listed in the book are slightly different than in this web article - is one of these designs best suited for the Magnum XL?

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1804-diy-make-a-transmission-jack-adapter/
It's the same one. I probably measured it slightly differently. The Magnum XL is essentially a T56, so it works for both. Hell, I use it for T5s and MT82s also!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Boone NC
I just ordered one from your website. I'm looking forward to reading it! It seems like I saw a blurb about it in Mustang Monthly awhile back but it wasn't available yet. :)

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Nashville, TN
The book came yesterday. It's going to be the perfect guide for my upcoming transmission swap and lots of other things I'm sure. I appreciate the high quality writing and great pictures.
Thanks for writing it for the community!
Great! Be sure to tag me in your progress! Instagram @WesDuenkel

Just want to echo all the comments here, I've really been enjoying this book. It's nice to actually read an old-fashioned analog book about our cars as opposed to internet research. Nice work, Wes!

I enjoyed the trivia about the last minute exhaust header change on the gen 1 Coyote and the corresponding factory dyno figures - I hadn't heard that one.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Nashville, TN
Just want to echo all the comments here, I've really been enjoying this book. It's nice to actually read an old-fashioned analog book about our cars as opposed to internet research. Nice work, Wes!

I enjoyed the trivia about the last minute exhaust header change on the gen 1 Coyote and the corresponding factory dyno figures - I hadn't heard that one.
The biggest surprise to me was how a smaller lash adjuster had a cascading effect on the whole engine's performance.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN

S550 6 piston Brembos are bigger than the GT500 version. The S550 pads are bigger more readily available and usually less expensive than the GT500 6 piston calipers. The track pack wheels will not clear the S550 calipers without a small spacer, 5mm gives the necessary clearance.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel