The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Boss!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGRacing said:
Are those brembos the same as the Rehagen monster brembo kit? Are the calipers true race calipers? bootless, perforated pistons, titanium, etc? If so, that's the kit I have on my list.

Straight off a Grand Am 302R

If it is these I think so but do not know the number on the rotors.
http://rehagenracingproducts.com/REHAGEN-RACING-BREMBO-MONSTER-BRAKE-KIT-S197-MUSTANG-RRBREXA2E7KIT.htm?categoryId=-1

I have these, leading mount:
http://www.proracestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1951 http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tpc=Brembo_XA2.E7_Series_4_Piston_GT_Brake_Calipers&form_prod_id=169,367_4799&action=product

If you get them I have some hats I can part with so you would have a back up set of rotors for the track.

ufnavy06 said:
I can haz your car? :D. That'd save me a lot of time and money. Btw, on the stripes, you didn't go reflective? I'd actually like to see the '69 style stripes in the reflective tape.

ProMotorStripes does not have"reflective" stripes, neither does Ford for that matter or they can't call them reflective without jumping through a bunch of government hoops. In any case while it would be nice to have the reflective type these are very nice and I love the look compared to the shinny painted vinyl they came with.

zzyzx said:
That's at Racers Edge in DeLand, right?
Yes, that is Jon's shop.

Picked up the "new" Boss today, the guys worked many hours did an outstanding job. They went above and beyond on many aspects of the job, from safety-wire on the drive shaft bolts to setting not only camber and toe but the caster to race specs to name a few. I am very happy I went this route then an average garage to do the work. It was not cheap but it was very reasonable considering the time they took and the quality of the work. I am more then satisfied with the outcome.

The car shifts so differently I can not even begin to compare it with before. I only drove it around the block before loading so I need to get use to the Exedy clutch. It grabs high and engages quickly as compared to before. They had a good laugh the third time I stalled it, after that I tried harder ::) Oh and it is loud!

Corner weight is not good, will need to work on that. 3588 total, very little gas

1020 977
810 761

4000 RPM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK-LXtI-l8A[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0-Ax-pbGNQ[/youtube]

Some of the work done 8)
Battery1_zps09d591b1.jpg
Battery_zps1acee22a.jpg
battery2_zps949c6633.jpg

More pics later
Shop3_zps98f3eca9.jpg

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
...loved the comment during the first video-

After the car was winding down from being revved, a quiet voice says "oh boy".

...obviously referencing the unbelievably great sound the car makes!

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
It sounds amazing and looks amazing as well. Although, I think having the black top now would make it look sinister. Glad you're happy.

That sounds awesome Scott! 8) Glad you like the way the new trans is working, I'm envious. Check my weight reduction thread in the How To section and you should be able to find a few more lbs to shed. I'm just under 3500 with both seats in the car even with the roll bar. I haven't corner weighed it yet but need to do that. I love the battery relo you did and still want to do that at some point.

four-walling, that was me saying one more or something like that.

ufnavy06 said:
It sounds amazing and looks amazing as well. Although, I think having the black top now would make it look sinister. Glad you're happy.

Thanks, the more I think about what was done the happier I am. Could not deal with the "glass roof" but I did paint the deck lid, goes better with the new stripes now.

BossJockey said:
Sounds good Scott.
Your corner balance is very good. (50%). Are you running coilovers?

Correct I should have said front to back. These guys were going over the car and blowing my mind, pulling parts out and saying "this is what you need" all day. They were worried about every detail "you have too much rake" or other things, then I would explain it's good enough for me or it is better then it was before. Still they did not understand that, after all they move three pounds of weight from side to side depending on the track, you could put 50 pounds on a corner and I would not feel it.

With everything that was done I am considering the coilovers. Stuff like this is nice but it is the hidden costs that kill you, like the FR EPAS I need to get now for another grand. Was not counting on that.
--------------------------
Hope so Wayne ;D looking forward to getting out. Gary, the battery relo was very complicated. Cost me hours of labor and about 200 in parts not including the FR CJ battery tray. However it is one of the must do at any cost type of mod to get some rear weight. I can turn a wrench but I am glad I had them do this, professional job all the way. We talked about doing a re-enforced bumper project. Welding on steel to the rear bumper, that is as far back as you can get any weight into the rear, pretty bright idea.

Some weight mods done to date
I think the T56 weighs more, the bellhousing was heavy.
Added the front skid plate for splitter damage, also help air flow.
Battery relo 31 pounds front to rear.
Everything behind the rear seats is gone except the upper trim around the side windows and the trim attached to the bottom of the lid.
Pulled the muffles 43 pounds off the rear, added 10 back maybe with the straight pipes.
Driveshaft took off a few middle low pounds
Added the canister/vent for the diff in the trunk
Washer bottle off front
Tiger hood CF / removed hood latch.
Added bigger FR radiator
Added splitter
Added engine vent canister / removed sound tube - about a wash
Added LS type spoiler - little heavier then the stock wing

There are many other little things but the general idea is it's hard to find weight to pull off the front, have the new FR bumper going in soon and that will help. I am going to add some ballast in the rear for now without coilovers to help.

Couple of pictures, replaced the rotors I had at the shop with a different set I cleaned and sanded down.
brembo2_zpsa79b476b.png

Pic shows how the calipers mount, they slide on a bracket ...
brembo1_zpsb817f9db.png

Crappy pic, was trying to show the control arms from the rear but in this pic you can also see how the pads are replaced, unclip the little bars by hand and slid out the pads, no tools needed. I had a pic to show the FR/MM bumpsteer kit installed but it did not come out, maybe later ....
brembo3_zps8427a4c9.png

Got a set of these rotors new, these are the deel annulus type. I would have rather stayed with the normal annulus but they had several sets of new deep pads, these pads will not work on the other rotors pictured above.
Rotorsdeep_zpsbd752f99.png

Drive shaft installed with safety wire.
dssafetywire_zps4e2157c1.jpg

Tremec installed and side by side to see the difference.
trans_zpsa1428d5f.jpg
T56MT82_zpsc17e0cc9.png

X-Pipe, installed the cat/mufflier delete and X-Pipe, left the rest factory
xpipetrans_zps3aac0c78.jpg
That is about it, did add a shift light that was very needed and some other upgrades like the harness mounting points. Hopefully I can get the coilovers but then that is it, no more mods ;D (besides the 18MM rear sway bar that should work well with my setup, but that it no more) maybe 4 inch brake cooling ducts but that is not a mod since I already have ducts.

Couple of shots of the Koni coil overs going in and on the rack for the balance. Guys did a great setup on the car but I forgot the setup sheet so I will post the spring rates and other info when they get back from Road Atlanta. Also a vid from the track that shows how manageable the car is now.

The session before this I had a set of tires that were balanced incorrectly and had to swap them out for a new set of fronts. Set the pressure way to high, ended up being in the high 40's when I came in. Plus there were mistakes made by me here, little heavy on the gas too early. I was able to power out of the corners much earlier then before but there is always a limit. Had this happened before the coil overs car would have spun in a second. My 18MM sway bar just arrived and this will help putting down the power of the corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HkJcGr8jpk

Corner_zps1958ecb4.jpg
koni1_zpsd0a8d7ca.jpg
koni2_zps8cb8bd05.jpg
KoniRear_zps1f32622c.png
konifront_zps67226a0c.png

I had JPC install a T56 Magnum in my Saleen over a year ago. Great Trans!! They can take a beating and shifts smooth as butter. I drag raced mine mainly and highly recommend that setup

ford20 said:
Magnum XL correct? How are you liking it so far?

Yes Magnum XL T-56 Close Ratio

Like 738 said it is sooooooo much better, shifts with no effort. The only thing I wish was a little different is the first over drive gear, they were going to make it .80 but instead made it .74. You drop a lot of RPM's because of this but no where near the RPM drop on the MT-82 (if you could get it into gear ::) )

First a polite request to all, don't be afraid to ask questions in threads here. No question is stupid on this forum and Gary, Rick and Pete will make sure there are no negative responses to your questions. I get many PM's about some of the changes that were done to my Boss. I have no problem answering any questions but I stink at typing and many times I repeat the same answers. All of the questions were good ones and deserve to be in the open to help out everybody here. I'm not singling anyone out and as always I am open to PM's.

Here is the new stats on the Boss with the coil overs in. The biggest thing I picked up on with this new data is my car now has it's own name ;D don't quite know how I got so lucky to be well taken care of by these guys.

Spring rates are also listed. They took into account many things like driving left and right hand tracks here, the spring rates I had before and more. Have a date at Sebring with Track Guys so I will see what she can do on a right hand course. If it handles anything like at Daytona I will be very happy. One question I have not been able to ask is why there is a big weight difference since last time we weight it out, I am 3497 empty but I think I had a tire and rim in the trunk. If so figure 3450, last time I was at 3403.

SetupSheetScottBoss0001_zpsb5de1e35.png

Before coil overs
CW1_zps39f37f79.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors