The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Budget Track Tire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’ll be needing a new set of tires soon and in my research for something budget but worthwhile I’ve come across the GT Radial Champiro SX2 RS.

1677093720420.png

https://www.gtradial-us.com/sport/champiro-sx2-rs/

I’ve tried find more info other than the website but nothing is coming up and figured I’d see if anyone had any experience with these tires.
They only have a couple sizes in 18” and fortunately have the exact size I’m looking for: 295/40r18, 200 TW. And at $190!!

Sounds too good to be true but being that it’s the official tire for FORMULA DRIFT I figured there would be some backing to the brand.

May be something worth looking in to. May be a good beginner tire. Who knows. I know the price is tempting and to be backed by a company sponsoring a racing series, it might be a hidden gem.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Remember the number one key to going fast is Tires, Tires, Tires. A drift tire is not likely a sticky rubber donut conducive to auotcrossing , and the one place folks tend to think they can cut corners is with the very item that has the biggest impact for going quickly. There are really only a few super quick tires and stick with those that are tried and true, guessing with an off brand just means you get experiment with something that has little if any information about it.

Sponsoring an event is not necessarily an indicator something is really the hot ticket , and in fact it is often just the easiest way to get a product in front of a new market.

Check out Grassroots Motorsports or Tire Rack for solid 200 TWR rubber or ask away here, because if you are running CAMC you will find rubber will be the biggest benefit to you running with less power than most of your competition.

Remember the number one key to going fast is Tires, Tires, Tires. A drift tire is not likely a sticky rubber donut conducive to auotcrossing , and the one place folks tend to think they can cut corners is with the very item that has the biggest impact for going quickly. There are really only a few super quick tires and stick with those that are tried and true, guessing with an off brand just means you get experiment with something that has little if any information about it.
Thanks Bill! Main reason I was looking at these was because they peaked my interest. The price being the biggest factor. My first picks would be the Hankook RS-4’s in the same 295/40 size. Only at nearly double the price of the GT Radial, it’s hard for the newbie in me to stomach. But I guess it’s to be expected when you’re going with a reputable brand and tire.

Check out Grassroots Motorsports or Tire Rack for solid 200 TWR rubber…
Thank your for this recommendation! I’ve never been on the Grassroots Motorsports website before and will be doing a lot of reading on the tires they’ve reviewed.

That brand has some popularity in the UK and Europe. This is a good website for feedback plus they have actual instrumented tests posted on youtube. Here is a link to the reviews of Champiro SX2:

One of the reviews..
"I bought these as novice track tires, I have done 3 track days with them. I have also been using them for daily driving and a couple road trips this summer. Overall I cannot recommend these enough to other people who are also new to track driving. They aren't really fast tires and don't have the most grip, but they do an amazing job communicating to you exactly when the car is going to break loose."

One of the reviews..
"I bought these as novice track tires, I have done 3 track days with them. I have also been using them for daily driving and a couple road trips this summer. Overall I cannot recommend these enough to other people who are also new to track driving. They aren't really fast tires and don't have the most grip, but they do an amazing job communicating to you exactly when the car is going to break loose."
Good to know

One of the reviews..
I’m wondering, do tire widths affect the characteristics/performance of the tire? And weight of the vehicle? I.e., a lot of reviews are done on tires less than 265 mm in width. (Surely for cost reasons) And on Miata’s and such.
So when reviews are given do characteristics/performance transfer over to say the same tire but in 295+ width underneath a 3,400+ pound car?

I’m wondering, do tire widths affect the characteristics/performance of the tire? And weight of the vehicle? I.e., a lot of reviews are done on tires less than 265 mm in width. (Surely for cost reasons) And on Miata’s and such.
So when reviews are given do characteristics/performance transfer over to say the same tire but in 295+ width underneath a 3,400+ pound car?
Yes, stretch a 275 over a 10.5 wheel and it will broaden the sidewall which can also increase spring rate. It will generally have less traction as well.
Continental used to have that data, including spring rate on all their competition tires ( which were made by Hoosier)
Too narrow a wheel and it feels like a water balloon.
A lot of folks think that's why every Porsche in GS at Daytona were blowing tires this year, the wheel width was too wide for the tire and they were torturing the outside edge, decrease camber, and the problem went away, but so did the handling.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel