The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New goodyear DOT tire. An Hoosier challenger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Agreed. I had fun racing all the big midwest road courses. But they do everything possible to make it unappealing. Why does everyone need to be there Sat and Sun. Split groups in half, practice in the morning, qual afternoon, race later same day and go home. And the racing isn't all that great, running alone most of the time, just burning up parts. Plus entry fees, no purse, overall costs and on and on.

My son is running the track in the clip. Roll in at 3pm. On the track practicing by 3:30, then 2nd practice, qual, heat, feature, meet fans, have a beer or 3, load up, hit the pay window and then home by 11pm to midnight. We pay $25 each to get in and they pay us $150 purse money. Plus the kid is always racing nose to tail, door to door.
You and I have made this case enough times....but here we are. Still doing it.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Sorry, I just want road racing to be better. There is so much room for improvement. Not that ovals are perfect, but they try a lot harder to make it the best it can be.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sorry, I just want road racing to be better. There is so much room for improvement. Not that ovals are perfect, but they try a lot harder to make it the best it can be.
I agree, though I don't think much will change.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
A lot of it is baked in....its just a crappy spectator sport. You just can't see much of the track from any one point and the whole experience with the stands and hawkers selling beer and popcorn...its an immersive Colosseum type experience, like a baseball game but with race cars.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I think the challenge comes with the different classes. How do you put 5-10 classes on track and make it flow? Enquiring minds want to know.
I don't see the problem here, you just grid them up and send them out.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I think the challenge comes with the different classes. How do you put 5-10 classes on track and make it flow? Enquiring minds want to know.
Putting the fast guys on pole and the slow guys at the back is curious. Why WOULDN'T the fastest guy win?
Oval tracks they typically invert the field or at least the top ten so you have to run through the pack to earn the win. Meanwhile the slow cars get a head start on you giving them a chance at it......not to mention its a lot more exciting for both the drivers and the fans...in case there were any.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last race we had the MX5 traveling group with us. We did a split start.
Let us go and then let them have a race of they're own behind us....worked perfect.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Funny, I always enjoyed the fact that at most road courses you could walk around and see different parts of the track and you weren't stuck pretty much in the same seat. Loved walking all over Laguna Seca watching different corners , getting up close to the portable walls at the Detroit Grand Prix , and wandering around Watkins Glen is a treat, so no complaints about Road Racing being a spectator sport, I actually prefer it to oval racing ( been to Kansas Speedway a couple of times and it is fun, but ....).

Just my opinion as different at many tracks , both at ovals or road races, but we can all enjoy things in a different manner.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
A lot of it is baked in....its just a crappy spectator sport. You just can't see much of the track from any one point and the whole experience with the stands and hawkers selling beer and popcorn...its an immersive Colosseum type experience, like a baseball game but with race cars.
To a point, yes. Its hard to see a majority of the track from any one point at a road course. The Roval in Charlotte fixes that. I watch the fall race from a suite between turn 4 and start finish. Not the best to watch that course from but I still saw 95% of the race.
When I have watched races at Road America I liked the idea of open seating and being able to wander and see the race from different turns and vantage points. My ADD likely makes walking around more agreeable to me.
True, we don't have the "Gladiators" in front of us duking it out for 2-4 hours straight. Boredom does set in. Do we move to a format like autocross where classes run and then we switch classes. Boring to the max even when resetting cones. What's the "Fix"?? Hard to say.
I do know that while learning the car, tracks and driving the breaks between runs to catch up and digest are welcomed. At least for me.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
True, TMS, though I don't find Autocross boring as half of the fun of the event is walking the course and mastering it better than your friends/competitors. Great place to learn your car, also , before tackling road course events. Hanging around with fellow gear heads is part of the Cone Killer Creed too ----- they do support the farming community quite well as there are always a few beers had after competition.

I like inverting the field, we used to do that in kart racing.
The fast qualie starts pole in heat 1.
Heat 2 is the inverse of the finishing order of heat 1
Heat 3 the high point guy from the first 2 heat starts on pole, then a pill is drawn to invert the first 4 or 6.
It gives the slow guys a chance to run up front, and yet doesn't screw the fast guy over too much, everyone gets experience that way.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I like inverting the field, we used to do that in kart racing.
The fast qualie starts pole in heat 1.
Heat 2 is the inverse of the finishing order of heat 1
Heat 3 the high point guy from the first 2 heat starts on pole, then a pill is drawn to invert the first 4 or 6.
It gives the slow guys a chance to run up front, and yet doesn't screw the fast guy over too much, everyone gets experience that way.
Yup....passing points.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
So..........has anyone tried these new DOT Goodhoosie clones to see if they are a solid competitor? Just wondering as I have not heard of a single person running them so pretty difficult to assess their value.
Oh, and my size of Hoohoos is not up to $482 , ouch again!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Last edited:
New Conti ECF baseline testing results are included in above track tire comparo.

GRM tested the new GY RS-R separately on 06-SEPT-21...C5 Z06 track car as a test platform. Interesting glimpse, but need someone to test on something like Mustang....under broader, more controlled conditions.
Well a vette is better than their usual light weight test cars like Miata's, Honda's & BRZ's

TMO Supporting Vendors