The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Newbie advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
When are you going to Pueblo next (or other local)? I haven't been able to get out much this year but have had able to put time into the car. Need to get my truck WIN module fixed so I can get my new wheels mounted and installed. It's fun to just do laps, but last couple of times I went to Pueblo there was only 10-20 folks total. Open track is fun, having a couple people around is better IMO.
I’m probably done in Pueblo for this season. I want to go to High Plains one more time in early October, weather permitting. I like their winter hours where I don’t have to be there at 6:30 in the morning for the drivers meeting. Winter hours is 9:30. My goal there is 2:15 and with the Pueblo experience it might be doable. My High Plains best is 2:20 and that’s the only time I’ve had the mustang there.
You are right about having someone to chase. My 1:52 and a few 1:53s were chasing a guy who was also running 1:52s.

My goal for Pueblo is 1:50. I need to figure out how to shave 2-3 more seconds off. I’m not sure I can do that with the equipment I’ve got but I also don’t plan on upgrading anything else either.
You'll get there, at least with a better tire.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Wider wheels…
As we are now getting into “modding season” I’ve started thinking about wider wheels and tires. I’ve searched the forums and really haven’t come up with a recipe. I’m not caring about the lightest high tech wheels out there, just good, budget friendly and wider.
So I currently have 19x9 with 235 40s and 19x9.5 with 255 35s stock. I’m going square but not sure how. Do I go 18x10 or 11 or 19x? Or 20x?.
Not sure 18s will clear my stock brakes. I’d like to do this as simply as possible. So 285 ish on 19x11 or should I go wider up to 305s?
Or should I just man up, learn to drive better and leave it alone?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
The S197/S550 Mustang easy button recipe is 11" wheels. If you want to run take off slicks get 18" wheels, if you're running DOT tires get 19" wheels. I know of no one using 20" except for the very rare GT500. You can run more than 11", but the difficulty factor goes way way way up. 11's are fairly plug and play.

You want square, the Mustang is front heavy and pushes so you want as much tire up front as you can get. 305 tire width is the easy button with about a 20-25 mm spacer. You can find out how much spacer you need using washers.

Buy good spacers, don't skimp and don't buy the adapter thingies that double the number of studs and points of failure. OPMustang can set you up with good quality spacers.

What's your car? You should add it to your profile. Makes it easier to give more pertinent advice.

Wider wheels…
As we are now getting into “modding season” I’ve started thinking about wider wheels and tires. I’ve searched the forums and really haven’t come up with a recipe. I’m not caring about the lightest high tech wheels out there, just good, budget friendly and wider.
So I currently have 19x9 with 235 40s and 19x9.5 with 255 35s stock. I’m going square but not sure how. Do I go 18x10 or 11 or 19x? Or 20x?.
Not sure 18s will clear my stock brakes. I’d like to do this as simply as possible. So 285 ish on 19x11 or should I go wider up to 305s?
The 18s should work, we ran them in the SCCA and PWC on Brembos. you can get 305s under it if you pay attention, maybe check out another car that runs them. The 19s on the other hand (because of the diameter) gives you a little bigger footprint. Generally, 18s are more desired because of price and the availability of old race tires (which are virtually all 18s). If you are doing HPDE then it really doesn't matter what you use, just get some decent rubber like the Goodyear F1 /3s or the Hankook RS4s and have fun.

Wider wheels…
Choose the tires you want to run first and then find good wheels to make them work. Apex has great wheels and helpful fitment guides that explain everything you need to know:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
As many have said, the Apex 18x11 ET52 wheel with 305 or 315 tire is the go-to standard for track rats. The Apex fitment guide lnked above is a must-read. Note that the fronts need a different effective offset than the rears to work, which can be done by using good-quality spacers and longer wheel studs with open-end lug nuts up front. Consider the Ford Performance hubs which come with ARP extended studs. Vorshlag used to sell secret-sauce wheels with different front & rear offsets so you didn't need spacers in front, but then you couldn't rotate front-to-back. Vorshlag has given up selling wheels after having too many supply chain issues. Their camber plates are still highly recommended; others commonly used are Maximum Motorsports, Ground Control, and Steeda.

Depending on tire width, camber adjustment, ride height, spring diameter, strut dimensions, phase of the moon when your car was built, if your tires were made on a day with a U, etc., the exact spacing needed for clearance with the 52mm offset wheel can vary, but 25mm is good 98%+ of the time.

If you don't want to deal with spacers and extended studs, the 18x10 or 19x10 wheel with a 285 tire is pretty good. Is it slower then 315 tire? Yes, if you are experienced enough to maximize the extra grip at the limit. If you're starting out with track days or drive at 9/10ths, you probably won't notice the difference and will have just as much fun. You might even have more fun because the grip limit is lower. But there are many stories here of forum members starting on 10" and after a year or three selling them in favor of 11". Take a look at tire availability (Continental Extreme Contact Force is gaining popularity) and cost in different sizes to help decide.

Here's a good GRM article that goes through many of the current track tires. Pay attention to the chart at the end and the "endurance 200s" section.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel