The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

No-tune Airaid CAI tested on my 13' Boss for 5.0 Mustangs magazine today....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm only going to say that the no tune = no power theory is an urban legend. :)

Remember bolt ons for the original 5.0 Mustangs? They made power without tunes all day long. How much power you can safely make without a tune is the real question.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
RRBoss302 said:

Remember bolt ons for the original 5.0 Mustangs? They made power without tunes all day long. How much power you can safely make without a tune is the real question.
unlike the old mustangs the new one is self correcting with wide band sensors. it will correct itself so long as the maf housing is the same or with a tune its recalibrated.

It's true that the degree of modifications the newer 5.0 will tolerate without a tune is less so than the older generation. However, you can and will make more power, safely, without a tune on the current 5.0 with the correct parts.

RRBoss302 said:
I agree and here is the reason why. Air flow is determined by the sum of all the restrictions in the air path, the MAF housing being just one. If you look on the C&L website they show flow rates for their CAI in tune and no-tune configurations. Their no-tune intake, with MAF the same diameter as stock, flows 1096 cfm at the industry standard pressure drop of 28 inches of water. The stock intake flows 748 which is 50 cfm less than even the factory 4.6 intake. They also show dyno results comparing several different aftermarket CAI's, including Airaid, and the results are virtually identical so it is likely that Airaid cfm is comparable.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
65sohc said:
I agree and here is the reason why. Air flow is determined by the sum of all the restrictions in the air path, the MAF housing being just one. If you look on the C&L website they show flow rates for their CAI in tune and no-tune configurations. Their no-tune intake, with MAF the same diameter as stock, flows 1096 cfm at the industry standard pressure drop of 28 inches of water. The stock intake flows 748 which is 50 cfm less than even the factory 4.6 intake. They also show dyno results comparing several different aftermarket CAI's, including Airaid, and the results are virtually identical so it is likely that Airaid cfm is comparable.
What??You lost me.

hey guys bought mine direct from air aid called the #on their web site shipped to montreal last winter by ups to the door 675.00.

fbbob96 said:
What??You lost me.
The point I was trying to make is that there is more to air flow through the intake than simply the diameter of the MAF housing. Many people assume that if the MAF diameter is the same that means air flow is the same and, hence, power. In reality the path that the air follows has a lot to do with how efficiently it reaches the throttle body. The stock system does a great job at isolating the intake air from underhood heat but not such a good job of minimizing restriction to flow. This is easily measureable with a column manometer, which I did and which is what convinced me to install an aftermarket intake. The other arguement people make is that the car already comes with a CAI. What is the point of replacing it? Well, it also comes with tubular headers, but that doesn't mean they can't be improved upon.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
65sohc said:
The point I was trying to make is that there is more to air flow through the intake than simply the diameter of the MAF housing. Many people assume that if the MAF diameter is the same that means air flow is the same and, hence, power. In reality the path that the air follows has a lot to do with how efficiently it reaches the throttle body. The stock system does a great job at isolating the intake air from underhood heat but not such a good job of minimizing restriction to flow. This is easily measureable with a column manometer, which I did and which is what convinced me to install an aftermarket intake. The other arguement people make is that the car already comes with a CAI. What is the point of replacing it? Well, it also comes with tubular headers, but that doesn't mean they can't be improved upon.
your awesome :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
FYI the Airaid PJ CF CAI on Amazon is $464 - This is for the no oil filter. Paid frgt if your a prime member.

http://www.amazon.com/Airaid-453-174-Intake-System/dp/B008FKFSSQ/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

TymeSlayer said:
FYI the Airaid PJ CF CAI on Amazon is $464 - This is for the no oil filter. Paid frgt if your a prime member.

http://www.amazon.com/Airaid-453-174-Intake-System/dp/B008FKFSSQ/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

What is the difference between that one and :: http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-boss-cf.html ?

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
LP Heaven said:
What is the difference between that one and :: http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-boss-cf.html ?

Oiled (RED) vs. no oil filter (Blue). Not hating on American Muscle but if you look up both on the Airaid site, the blue filter is a few bucks more. I would not pay $600 bucks for this when you can get it much cheaper. The one I purchased from Amazom came with everything you need and looks/works great.

TymeSlayer said:
Oiled (RED) vs. no oil filter (Blue). Not hating on American Muscle but if you look up both on the Airaid site, the blue filter is a few bucks more. I would not pay $600 bucks for this when you can get it much cheaper. The one I purchased from Amazom came with everything you need and looks/works great.

Thanks dudes !

TymeSlayer said:

Will it fit the 2013 Boss 302?

TMO Supporting Vendors