The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Noise while braking after trip to tire wall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
After getting the car back form the body/paint shop I had a chance to drive it a bit more, I have a slight clunk when I brake. I have checked the suspension, brakes and A arm several times, but can't seem to see anything wrong, but it makes me a little nervous. All the brake bolts are tight as well as the Coil overs.

Its more noticeable in traffic were speeds are slow... the clunk occurs as you press the pedal and the brakes start too grab, once you are past the initial "clunk" the brakes feels fine.

Any suggestions??

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes the front.... Will take a look at the sway bar, You reminded me that the BMR sway bars have a weak attachment point. Seen them come loose on other cars. Will take a peak tonight

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Checked almost everything, A arms, sway bar support and links, springs, shock tower and all seems fine, Will pop the brakes off to double check the brake pads.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just a note... Had to unload all the suspension to find it... Under load all seemed fine. By unload, I mean take the strut out and disconnect the sway bar etc.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Washington
Just a note... Had to unload all the suspension to find it... Under load all seemed fine. By unload, I mean take the strut out and disconnect the sway bar etc.
I have the same exact problem with my S550 right now. It gives me the same uneasy feeling. I jacked it up, torqued motor mounts, checked paint on suspension connection points, torqued calipers. NOTHING. If I rotate the wheel forward/back, the rotor makes a slight clunk, but no way its it. Theres only noise at low speed, forward not backward, so something shifting. Up front, seems focused front left.

Based on your symptoms its sounds like the same thing. So you're saying the mounts in the center were worn? Not the ends? I'm going to investigate this. How did you reproduce the sound? Disconnect the end links and then move the bar?

TMO Supporting Vendors