The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NT01 Hot Pressures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wondering what hot pressures people have found best for NT01's? I've read a lot about how our heavy cars need more pressure, and people quoting in the 35-36PSI range. 305/35/18 on an S550 and I found anything over ~33.5 psi was greasy and didn't feel good. Most of the guys I run with have lighter cars (S2k's, E46's, Miatas) and looked at me funny when I told them people recommended 34+ PSI for NT01's on our cars. Wouldn't the target hot pressure be more dictated by the tire than by the weight of the chassis? The other guys I run with all reported that 30-32psi hot for them worked best on NT01's. Thanks in advance.

In the V6L
Wondering what hot pressures people have found best for NT01's? I've read a lot about how our heavy cars need more pressure, and people quoting in the 35-36PSI range. 305/35/18 on an S550 and I found anything over ~33.5 psi was greasy and didn't feel good. Most of the guys I run with have lighter cars (S2k's, E46's, Miatas) and looked at me funny when I told them people recommended 34+ PSI for NT01's on our cars. Wouldn't the target hot pressure be more dictated by the tire than by the weight of the chassis? The other guys I run with all reported that 30-32psi hot for them worked best on NT01's. Thanks in advance.
I ran them years ago on my S197 - essentially the same weight - at 32PSI hot.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
So the answer is going to be unique to you.

1645122552374.png
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get the wear line right on that triangle where the sidewall meets the outer tread edge as you are at temp.

If you're doing an HPDE day, do a handful of laps to where you feel that the car is warmed up, and then pull into the hot pits, if you can, or some place to quickly get out and check. You'll see where the tread starts to look all gummy and warm, and then where it is in relation to that is your sign. If you're an inch or half inch away, perhaps drop a psi. If you're over it, add air, but your goal is to get it to where the top of that tip meets the wear line hot, once you're right there, get your temp, and that's your hot number. You may find out that with things like high banked turns, or high g turns, that some sides of your car want more, and some want less, and that's totally normal. Some tracks are neutral -- whatever that number is for you, who knows.

As you come off and cool down between your session, take your pressures again, and that's more or less your cold starting point. Depending on the compound, car weight, other things like that, you will eventually find your normal growth rate, so for me it's about 8 for an R compound, 10-12 for a slick, so I'll go out cold at 24-26, depending on the tire. Perhaps you'll find out yours is 6, fair enough, then if going out at 26 gets you to 32 hot, and that line is right on that triangle, score, those are your magic numbers.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
A great question! I'm very interested in the answer to this too and have been digging through a lot of threads to try and find it. I was told 36 hot by a Vette guy a couple of weeks ago, seems too high to me but... I haven't been able to find a solid consensus. I see a range of opinions from different folks, even found one that seems self contradictory. @ArizonaBOSS My appologies, I'm truly NOT trying to pick on you, In fact I regard you as a wealth of info, but I am confused. I see there's over 4 years between these 2 so maybe a memory thing?... or a typo?

Inquiring minds wanna know!
32ish hot for NT01s on an S197, from my prior experience.

30-32 cold, IMO.

I’ve got two events on my first set now and they’re much better (less greasy second half of the session) so far at 31-32 psi hot. With -3.5 front camber and -2 rear they’re rolling onto the edge of the shoulder just about right. Will see how they continue to perform and wear and update this thread for any future readers.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
If you look real carefully the tire, you'll see the edge where the rubber goes to the sidewall, and they've got some triangles set in there. As you do your first session, you'll see where the rubber starts to get all gooey, and makes a nice line. You kinda want that line going right at where the tip is pointing. If it's too far from it, chances are your pressure is too high, and the tire is ballooning, preventing it from using the whole tread. If it's too flat, or well past it, add some air, as it's too low and rolling. When you get pretty close to having your line run right through that triangle, find out what your tire pressure is, and that's your number. Depending on what you and your car weigh, that number could differ, for me it's 33#, but I likely weigh less than you.

(Yes, I'm ignoring the caster adjustments, and sure, using a pyrometer and measuring across would tell you for sure, but this trick works well enough.)

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
So the answer is going to be unique to you.

View attachment 72694
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get the wear line right on that triangle where the sidewall meets the outer tread edge as you are at temp.
Those marks show where the treadwear indicators are. They are not roll indicators. They just happen to be in about the right location on some tires.

On some tires they are much lower than others.
bridgestone-tire-tread-wear-indicator.jpg

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Those marks show where the treadwear indicators are. They are not roll indicators. They just happen to be in about the right location on some tires.

Interesting. So you're supposed to use the circular dimples across the tread face, and then the triangles to measure the shoulder usage? I'm one of those to the cord kinda fellers.

edit-
1649900191014.png

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
There is a wear bar on the right tire, just to the left of the left green line (and to the right of the skinny white line), between your thumb and index finger. There will be a triangle on the sidewall inline with this. Its a DOT requirement to have wear bars and wear bar indicators. It has nothing to do with the sidewall wear.

The holes are extra, not required.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
There is a wear bar on the right tire, just to the left of the green line, between your thumb and index finger. There will be a triangle on the sidewall inline with this. Its a DOT requirement to have wear bars and wear bar indicators. It has nothing to do with the sidewall wear.

The holes are extra, not required.
Learn something new. Knew about the wear bars, but couldn't find anything on the Nitto site about their suggested levels.

I guess depending on whether you think it's a derivative of the RR (https://www.toyotires.com/product/proxes-rr/) they suggest (and same for the RA1, RS1, etc):
  • Operating Temperature: 160°F to 220°F
  • Hot Inflation Pressures: High 30s to Low 40s (psi)
  • Camber: -2.5° to -5.0°
  • Caster: As much positive as possible

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
A great question! I'm very interested in the answer to this too and have been digging through a lot of threads to try and find it. I was told 36 hot by a Vette guy a couple of weeks ago, seems too high to me but... I haven't been able to find a solid consensus. I see a range of opinions from different folks, even found one that seems self contradictory. @ArizonaBOSS My appologies, I'm truly NOT trying to pick on you, In fact I regard you as a wealth of info, but I am confused. I see there's over 4 years between these 2 so maybe a memory thing?... or a typo?

Try chalk on the sidewalls. You can easily see how much roll your getting.
1649904719644.png

US
Im with CARVER- I chalk em alot. Cold AM sessions are different than high noon vs 4pm sessions. Adjust as needed. Chalk helps make sure you are using the tire properly

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Haha--good catch in the contradiction. I would still say 32ish hot, knowing what I know now. You can always go higher if you don't like it :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel