The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Number plates for competition - need community input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Just for reference, here are the rules for numbers & class letters from SCCA. I didn't have a current GCR downloaded, but I don't think it's changed in the last couple years.

2021 SCCA Solo 3.7.E. Numbers must be a minimum of 8” (20.5 cm) high with a 1¼” (3.25 cm) stroke. Class letters must be a minimum of 4” (10.25 cm) high with a ¾” (2 cm) stroke. In all cases, the height of the class letters must be between 25% and 75% of the height of the numbers. Stroke width must be at least 10% of the height.

2019 SCCA Road Racing GCR 9.3.28.B. Size of Numbers and Class Letters
Numbers shall be at least 8 inches high, with a 1.5 inch stroke on a contrasting background (rear winged Formula cars shall have as large a number as possible on their rear wing side plates). Metallic (reflective) numbers and class letters are prohibited. The distance between 2 numbers shall be at least as wide as the stroke of the numbers. Class letters shall be at least 4 inches high, with a 1/2 inch stroke on a contrasting background.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
I prefer an oval shape option if possible. Been running with magnetic numbers for years but a removable cling vinyl works too. Nothing wrong with the TMO logo on there although I have a sticker already placed on the car.
So you have used the removable vinyl at speeds over 140 and they stay on? Or did you tape the leading edge? I have been back and forth on magnets and removable vinyl for a while and want a set before NCM on 4/23-24. I want a nice white circle with classic/vintage styled numbers possibly in Guardsman Blue if I can find someone to make them (I know I can get black on white background).

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
@Vettel-ish, Do you have a top speed for that magnet run? It looks like a banked track, so I am guessing pretty fast. I don't get over 145 at Mid-Ohio, so depending on how well this removable vinyl holds up. I will look at the magnet. I am trying to find the proper Guardsman Blue color information for Soloperformance.com to make side numbers to match my car, but for now, I had a rush black/white removable vinyl done by Trackdecals.com

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I have been 145 mph with magnetic plates from www.edecals.com plates with no issues.
I imagine the oval shaped plates I used would be less likely to be disturbed by wind.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
@Vettel-ish, Do you have a top speed for that magnet run? It looks like a banked track, so I am guessing pretty fast. I don't get over 145 at Mid-Ohio, so depending on how well this removable vinyl holds up. I will look at the magnet. I am trying to find the proper Guardsman Blue color information for Soloperformance.com to make side numbers to match my car, but for now, I had a rush black/white removable vinyl done by Trackdecals.com
About 150 at road America. Not banked just a cool angle on the camera.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
DaveW on this Forum ( he is a fairly modest guy and I have seldom seen him toot his horn on his business , so I will ) makes decals on magnets for Solo and Race applications and has done this for close to three decades in my estimation. Check out soloperformance.com and you can get your numbers, etc. from a member who also heavily supports the racing community. I have had magnetic vinyl decals on one of my Bosses at over 140 mph and never lost them , and I did not tape the leading edge, though that does seem like a good idea for a little bit extra protection.

I hadn't posted here yet, first because Ludachris asked me about producing/offering TMO number plates at least a year ago and I dropped the ball....

Also, the magnet thing at high speeds is a bit of my pet peeve. Everyone wants to say that because their super special sign guy used super special material just for their super special order they are good to 800mph. Thats great when it is Bill tooting my companies horn, but...:)

Reality is there are only a few manufacturers of magnetic sheeting and there are only typically 4 standard thicknesses that most make. .015 and .020 are too thin for our use. .030 is what most places use. There are .045 and .060 marketed under "super stick". These are stickier, but the problem is the higher profile catches more wind which makes it more likely to blow off.

None of this is an issue at autocross speeds, say 70-80mph.

Some people have decent luck with magnetic at higher speeds. It depends on the size of the product, the car, the temp, if it was stored flat, etc.

But the majority of people that try to use it on track (without leading edge tape) eventually (sometimes quickly) have something blow off.

We offer another material (reusable vinyl) that is designed exactly for this use (and non metallic cars) but the compromise with it is that since it is a light adhesive product, the adhesive picked up dirt and "wears out" as opposed to magnetic which lasts forever or until it blows off and gets runs over.

If you do a magnetic number plate, oval or meatball, a little bit of tape on that leading edge is what we recommend for years of trouble free use.

DaveW

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great post DaveW and I guess I was lucky as I had some of the super heavy stuff , but I will follow your sage advice and put tape on the leading edge. Thanks so much for illuminating this area for all of us!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SF Bay Area
Thanks everyone for the input on magnetic plates. What kind of tape would you recommend? I was going to use gaffer tape for strength and because it peels off cleanly, but I don't think it comes in clear.

I hadn't posted here yet, first because Ludachris asked me about producing/offering TMO number plates at least a year ago and I dropped the ball....

Also, the magnet thing at high speeds is a bit of my pet peeve. Everyone wants to say that because their super special sign guy used super special material just for their super special order they are good to 800mph. Thats great when it is Bill tooting my companies horn, but...:)

Reality is there are only a few manufacturers of magnetic sheeting and there are only typically 4 standard thicknesses that most make. .015 and .020 are too thin for our use. .030 is what most places use. There are .045 and .060 marketed under "super stick". These are stickier, but the problem is the higher profile catches more wind which makes it more likely to blow off.

None of this is an issue at autocross speeds, say 70-80mph.

Some people have decent luck with magnetic at higher speeds. It depends on the size of the product, the car, the temp, if it was stored flat, etc.

But the majority of people that try to use it on track (without leading edge tape) eventually (sometimes quickly) have something blow off.

We offer another material (reusable vinyl) that is designed exactly for this use (and non metallic cars) but the compromise with it is that since it is a light adhesive product, the adhesive picked up dirt and "wears out" as opposed to magnetic which lasts forever or until it blows off and gets runs over.

If you do a magnetic number plate, oval or meatball, a little bit of tape on that leading edge is what we recommend for years of trouble free use.

DaveW
Just got a set of numbers from your company Dave. Very nice stuff. Didn't even realize you were a member on here, but glad to have supported a forum member either way. Came across your site as it was recommended by our local SCCA region in their overview of how to make sure your car is numbered right

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Just got a set of numbers from your company Dave. Very nice stuff. Didn't even realize you were a member on here, but glad to have supported a forum member either way. Came across your site as it was recommended by our local SCCA region in their overview of how to make sure your car is numbered right
I'd be interested in that website...

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I'm working with Dave at SoloPerformance to make some TMO number plates available, for those who would like to show support for the site out at the track. Something that might look like this, but better quality, with a QR code that links to the site:

1652462799132.png

And yes, that domain does take you to TMO. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel