The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

OEM front hubs VS Ford Racing front hubs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are the FRPP front hubs different?
Better - stronger bearings?
Or are they just OEM with ARP studs?
I already have noisy front bearings after three days of tracking the car on the OEM hubs.
(The car has 3K miles in total...)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
They are just OEM w/ ARP studs. Not sure about your issue as I can typically get an entire racing season out of a set of hubs w/ sticky tires, and I've not had a failure yet, only preventive replacements.

Thank you for your reply!
I haven't been on slicks like you are and the car is quite new still, so it can't be "normal wear"...
I will change them and see from there if it was just bad luck.Cheers,
Patrick

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
patrickshelby said:
Thank you for your reply!
I haven't been on slicks like you are and the car is quite new still, so it can't be "normal wear"...
I will change them and see from there if it was just bad luck.Cheers,
Patrick

Could just be bad luck, even for a "six-sigma" process there are still 7 defects per million samples. Make sure you tighten the NEW spindle nuts for the hubs to 250 ft-lbs. Ford just released some info on this a couple months back, even the original 221 ft-lbs was not enough based on their experience. DO NOT re-use the existing spindle nuts.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Could just be bad luck, even for a "six-sigma" process there are still 7 defects per million samples. Make sure you tighten the NEW spindle nuts for the hubs to 250 ft-lbs. Ford just released some info on this a couple months back, even the original 221 ft-lbs was not enough based on their experience. DO NOT re-use the existing spindle nuts.
Yes I know the nuts are a one time use and the torque value is critical.
Thanks to all.

Does anyone know the "recommended" maintenance cycle on front hub replacements? I'm thinking in terms of track hours. I replaced my originals after two seasons and have two seasons on the new FRPP ones.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Does anyone know the "recommended" maintenance cycle on front hub replacements? I'm thinking in terms of track hours. I replaced my originals after two seasons and have two seasons on the new FRPP ones.

I have been doing them each year, preventively. I had heard tales that guys in PWC running fresh P-Zero slicks had to replace them every weekend! Maybe Blacksheep can confirm/disprove that.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have new spares that I don't plan on changing until one or both get noisy. I do a pull test on them when I change pads to check for any abnormal end play. The one Ford Racing hub that failed on me was bad right out of the box, the car had zero track miles and maybe 30 street miles when I heard the issue on track first session, first day 2014. Noise was so bad the marshalls black flagged me. I had torqued the new nuts to 251 ft/lbs. You can physically move the bearing in the hub 1/16" back and forth, my OEM hubs with 22000 miles on them still have no appreciable end play to them.
Steve

Ok so you guys are basically at both ends of the spectrum lol. I was thinking of replacing the hubs and my SS brake lines this winter as preventative maintenance but don't want to waste money either.....

steveespo said:
Gary after two seasons, no harm in replacing them for $250. Don't throw the old ones away, keep as spares just in case. I wouldn't think you'd need to do them each weekend but big tires and curb jumping can take its toll.
Merry Christmas
Thanks. That makes sense I will order a new set. It's not like I'm hard on things though ::)

What are you guys thoughts on brake line replacement cycle?

Merry Christmas to you as well

steveespo said:
Aw c'mon Gary. Teflon lines with braided jackets are good unless cut, abraided or kinked. The lines won't chemically or UV deteriorate like rubber.
Steve
Good to know. I was told by a guy that owns a company providing cryo treated rotors that they replace them annually on their BMWs. I haven't heard that anywhere else, but wasn't sure. I'll just continue to go with visual inspection as you suggest.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
Good to know. I was told by a guy that owns a company providing cryo treated rotors that they replace them annually on their BMWs. I haven't heard that anywhere else, but wasn't sure. I'll just continue to go with visual inspection as you suggest.
I would inspect regularly and call it a 5 year lifespan like seats and harnesses. If you feel anything funny in the pedal then of course check everything closely. I would worry more about calipers than the lines, moving parts and seals exposed to high heat.
Steve

steveespo said:
I would inspect regularly and call it a 5 year lifespan like seats and harnesses. If you feel anything funny in the pedal then of course check everything closely. II would worry more about calipers than the lines, moving parts and seals exposed to high heat.
Steve
Yea I am also replacing my front calipers with new OEM ones and plan to use the anti-seize on the bolts with no loctite to get through one more season in the Biss rather than spend the money on a new brake kit. Stock replacements are pretty cheap compared to a Stoptech or Brembo big brake kit. If I wasn't planning to switch to the GT350 I would invest in a new brake kit.

TMO Supporting Vendors