The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Pressure Sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am adding the Ford Racing gage pod with the oil pressure sensor. I’d like to keep the stock sensor in place and T off that spot for the gage sensor. Anyone done this and have a source for the T fitting that may work? Thanks.

Are you using the M-6304GPACK-MA kit? If so, according to the instructions the gauge pack communicates with the original cluster and the new sensor gives the necessarily granular detail to new gauge (though, I personally wouldn't want to cut the wiring harness so I do understand the potential hesitation).
1650930129828.png
If you're just using the empty pod and supplying your own gauges, one option is to add the below spacer with sensor ports under the filter if you don't have an oil cooler sandwich plate with open sensor ports already.
1650930291703.png

For sake of limiting complexity and trying to keep the filter stack down, I would only use this in an application where I didn't have an oil cooler sandwich adaptor. If I had an oil cooler with a sandwich adaptor that didn't have ports, I'd either look into adding some or swapping out for a plate that does have them.

Utah
I did the same thing. This is a picture of my Coyote motor. I got the adapters etc from the Home Depot plumbing isle. I think I had to get the oil temp elbow off of Amazon.

Blue arrow is the oil temperature sensor on the hot side of the sandwich plate.
Red arrow is the oil pressure sensor T coming off of the OEM hole. The braided line goes to a remotely mounted pressure sensor. The other part of the T fitting is the stock sensor
Green arrow is the coolant temperature sensor in the block

IMG_6113.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
What is the consensus on the best place to pick up oil temps with these setups? Will the 90 like Rod did remove it enough from flow to significantly lower its temp reading? Would putting it in the pan w/an adapter to the plug like 1 of these be better at getting you usable data?

(I just grabbed a link as an example. this is probably not the right thread pitch)

Is the temp in the pan close to peak? Probably not eh? Ideally I'd like to get it in the line just before the cooler. But right now I don't think I'm willing to give up the simplicity of the Mishi Sandwich plate port. But I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to cut the line and put in an in-line sensor adapter.

Thoughts on best location and set up?

In the sump (pan) is best IMO. Theoretically the temp at the oil filter will be a tad higher since the pump will increase the temp a bit but I prefer the sump because that's the temp of the oil as it drains out of the engine so you know the peak temp the engine is seeing.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
What is the consensus on the best place to pick up oil temps with these setups? Will the 90 like Rod did remove it enough from flow to significantly lower its temp reading? Would putting it in the pan w/an adapter to the plug like 1 of these be better at getting you usable data?

(I just grabbed a link as an example. this is probably not the right thread pitch)

Is the temp in the pan close to peak? Probably not eh? Ideally I'd like to get it in the line just before the cooler. But right now I don't think I'm willing to give up the simplicity of the Mishi Sandwich plate port. But I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to cut the line and put in an in-line sensor adapter.

Thoughts on best location and set up?
I’m using the Killer B adapter in the low-level port on the oil pan. I’m not convinced it’s low enough for a good reading for street/highway driving, but definitely works on track when the oil is in a constant state of movement. As you mentioned, it won’t be peak temps, but it is the temp that your pump will see when it starts the oiling process over again.

Double check your sending unit thread pitch before ordering - the big side is M12, but the other end comes in both NPT and standard PT. I found out the hard way.

Double check your sending unit thread pitch before ordering - the big side is M12, but the other end comes in both NPT and standard PT. I found out the hard way.
I too have the Ford gauge pod and will be doing this install. I am going to pull water temp up at the radiator like @Fabman did if I can find his thread again.

I just checked the Killer B site and don't see an M12 fitting. I see M16, 18 and 20 to 1/8 NPT.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I too have the Ford gauge pod and will be doing this install. I am going to pull water temp up at the radiator like @Fabman did if I can find his thread again.

I just checked the Killer B site and don't see an M12 fitting. I see M16, 18 and 20 to 1/8 NPT.
Yeah, it’s not an M12 - I’ll have to double check the one that I ordered when I get back home. Been checking out the gulf side of Florida this week.

TMO Supporting Vendors