The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil temp and pressure gauge wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Hello,

I’m planning to replace the GT350 factory oil temp and pressure gauges with real mechanical gauges. I would like to use a fuse box which will be mounted in the glove box for easy access if I need to swap fuses or add any other device in the future.

would something like this work?
https://a.co/d/3g7NQ4J

I run a wire from a 12V switched source from the fuse box in the passenger foot area to my fuse box then run a wire from my fuse box box in the glove compartment to the gauges ? Do I need relays ?

not too familiar with car electronics. Thanks for any suggestions.

In the V6L
Hello,

I’m planning to replace the GT350 factory oil temp and pressure gauges with real mechanical gauges. I would like to use a fuse box which will be mounted in the glove box for easy access if I need to swap fuses or add any other device in the future.

would something like this work?
https://a.co/d/3g7NQ4J

I run a wire from a 12V switched source from the fuse box in the passenger foot area to my fuse box then run a wire from my fuse box box in the glove compartment to the gauges ? Do I need relays ?

not too familiar with car electronics. Thanks for any suggestions.
I don't think you need a fuse box or relays. Your new gauges need a wire to run the lights, usually tapped into the dimmed circuit for the rest of the instrument panel lights. The wiring diagram I have says it's not available at the existing gauge panel, so you'll have to tap into a dimmed circuit somewhere else; the headlight switch comes to mind.

As for other power requirements, the existing gauge panel power is always on, so it won't help. A handy place to get "hot in start or run" switched power is on the connector for the cabin air sensor just to the right of the steering wheel lower down on the dash. The little row of holes is where the sensor is and it's easy to pop the panel out and tap into it. It's already protected by fuse F21, 5 amps, down in the BCM by the passenger side door. That fuse doesn't run anything else other than the little fan in the sensor, so it should have capacity to run your gauges.

TMO Supporting Vendors