The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

On-the-fly toe adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
I am sure you are aware of the clever trick developed by the Mercedes F1 racing team, where the driver can dial-in instant toe-out adjustment as he enters a turn to maximize grip, and dial it out again as soon as he launches in the straight.
I'm wondering if anyone has toyed with this in the track Mustang world, or any other similar GT type car?

Last edited:
The reason I like F1 is because it's the only series left with any form of innovation. ( the reason I like working in IMSA GS is because those cars are on stock platforms, sort of like the old Trans Am stuff) even though F1 is extremely specific, and many of its aero innovations we will never see, it is things like this steering fix for bumpsteer that keeps me following. Remember a few years ago when the fuel restrictions were different? Ferrari was actually burning engine oil via a sump vent that was metered. This way they could use more fuel in some of their tuning schemes that used more
( fuel) than the FIA allowed. Sure it wasn't gasoline, but it got them an extra lap or 2. It is also the reason that everyone thought the Ferraris had engine problems because of the smell of oil in the exhaust. The 2 piece turbo was brilliant as well, Mercedes running a shaft down the " lifter" tray from the exhaust ( hot) turbo drive to the intake ( cool) side, this not only would keep the intake air cooler, but would also greatly simplify the turbo plumbing.
Great stuff, now that the cars are looking cool again, I wish they would get rid of that stupid looking " thong" over the driver's head.

Ever think the reason they drive like asses is because they know they can't get hurt?
I've seen it a million times, guys wreck cars with impunity because they don't have consequences until they roll one down the front straight at Daytona due to avoidable contact. After they are cut from the wreckage they either figure it out or quit.

They could put their big boy pants on and try sprint car racing on pavement like we do down here..

Last edited:
Driver lives aren't worth a viewer's visual aesthetic. The idea that these guys can still race their asses off in an environment where driver death is now extremely rare is a good thing. Suggest at the next IMSA driver's meeting that people uninstall their cages, since it will keep them from driving like asses, and see what response you get. The halo is no different in effect than a top hoop on a cage.

Ever think the reason they drive like asses is because they know they can't get hurt?
I've seen it a million times, guys wreck cars with impunity because they don't have consequences until they roll one down the front straight at Daytona due to avoidable contact. After they are cut from the wreckage they either figure it out or quit.

They could put their big boy pants on and try sprint car racing on pavement like we do down here..

By the same logic you should get rid of seat belts and helmets.

Driver lives aren't worth a viewer's visual aesthetic. The idea that these guys can still race their asses off in an environment where driver death is now extremely rare is a good thing. Suggest at the next IMSA driver's meeting that people uninstall their cages, since it will keep them from driving like asses, and see what response you get. The halo is no different in effect than a top hoop on a cage.
This is why there will never be any more Foyts, Andretti, Rutherfords or Mears, because anyone can do it now, and if you crash half the field doing it, no big deal.

they could cram the driver in something like a top fuel cage and get the same result instead of that monstrosity.
If they're letting anyone drive now, per:
because anyone can do it now
Why don't you go ahead and apply to be an engineer for F1? I hear they're taking anyone now. Paycheck has to be sweet, too. If the halo disgusts you that much, go ahead and lead the change you want to see in the world. If you can beat the frontal and top protection of the current halo without weight and size penalties, they'll be ecstatic to hear all about it. I'm sure some absolute dingus designed it on a napkin.

Grosjean went off in Bahrain and his car hit a barrier. The car broke in half and burst into flames. Grosjean went through the barrier with the front half of the car, the halo protecting his head from being decapitated by the barrier itself as they passed through. I don't know if he would call the halo a 'monstrosity' in an interview.
1656437478135.png
His protective gear was so well designed that he was able to lift himself up out of the fire and walk over the barrier to the safety crew. For me, this is a win greater than any F1 podium.
1656437720034.png

If they're letting anyone drive now, per:

Why don't you go ahead and apply to be an engineer for F1? I hear they're taking anyone now. Paycheck has to be sweet, too. If the halo disgusts you that much, go ahead and lead the change you want to see in the world. If you can beat the frontal and top protection of the current halo without weight and size penalties, they'll be ecstatic to hear all about it. I'm sure some absolute dingus designed it on a napkin.

Grosjean went off in Bahrain and his car hit a barrier. The car broke in half and burst into flames. Grosjean went through the barrier with the front half of the car, the halo protecting his head from being decapitated by the barrier itself as they passed through. I don't know if he would call the halo a 'monstrosity' in an interview.
View attachment 77017
His protective gear was so well designed that he was able to lift himself up out of the fire and walk over the barrier to the safety crew. For me, this is a win greater than any F1 podium.
View attachment 77018
Yep, that thong made up for a horribly designed wall that should've never been allowed to begin with.
And.. what was the name of the driver that COULDN'T get out of his car because of the thong?
Better yet, let's make it uber safe and just drive simulators.

Last edited:
Better yet, let's make it uber safe and just drive simulators.
If engineering advances in driver protection signifies the end of all physical racing for you, I don't even know what to say since someone is always working towards making a better cage, helmet, or fire suppression system, though people probably said something similar about seatbelts in 1968.
E-sports has already existed in tandem, but the common person probably only knew that during the pandemic when they did virtual races. Don't forget GT Academy circa all the way back in 2008, where success in video games led to driving positions in real racecars. Always good for there to be as many in-roads to the sport as possible.

Look, my first race in a lay down kart was at Daytona, first practice a guy backs it into turn 1 at about 80mph. The (then) single armco had hay bales in front of it, he hit the bales, the armco hit him in the back of the head pulling him up and impaling him on the kart's steering column. It sucked, it was my first time at the track, I could either accept the risks involved or quit. I got back into the kart.
I will always believe that any aspiring race car driver needs to spend at least 3 years in karts where they at least learn the racecraft, not some sim.
If you don't want to go open cockpit racing then don't. The Indycars got rid of all their 1 mile tracks, which had outstanding racing, because " safety", they are now pick and choosing their tracks and are about 4 square feet of carbon fiber from becoming IMP ( indy motorsports prototypes)The risks are what separates motor racing from badminton.

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I am sure you are aware of the clever trick developed by the Mercedes F1 racing team, where the driver can dial-in instant toe-out adjustment as he enters a turn to maximize grip, and dial it out again as soon as he launches in the straight.
I'm wondering if anyone has toyed with this in the track Mustang world, or any other similar GT type car?

Despite the mildly entertaining argument going on (which I’m not allowed to do anymore)…if you consider how bumpsteer actually works on our cars, theres a lot that can be done to somewhat mimic this effect, even without driver input.

It was a cool feature, but I was glad when the drama surrounding it was done.

Despite the mildly entertaining argument going on (which I’m not allowed to do anymore)…if you consider how bumpsteer actually works on our cars, theres a lot that can be done to somewhat mimic this effect, even without driver input.

It was a cool feature, but I was glad when the drama surrounding it was done.
I can see how this could be done, especially with an electric rack, if you had 2 electrical inputs (motors?) for each steering arm and they keyed off the ride height of the car. You have to put the car on a 4 post lift, get your data from that, then create a program of ride height vs toe in, I would imagine at some point you would have to factor in any time the tire bounces or leaves the pavement, or make that an absolute. Then have a default whenever there was suspension damage.

TMO Supporting Vendors