The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

OPMustang BG Fluids - Alternatives?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I have always used the BG trans and diff fluids from OP Mustang on my car since new.
It's time now for me to do those fluid changes again and OPMustang is out of stock. I can wait a bit but with current supply chain issues, I may need to look elsewhere.
Can anyone recommend another solid brand for MT-82 (2018 version) and Torsen fluids?

I have always used the BG trans and diff fluids from OP Mustang on my car since new.
It's time now for me to do those fluid changes again and OPMustang is out of stock. I can wait a bit but with current supply chain issues, I may need to look elsewhere.
Can anyone recommend another solid brand for MT-82 (2018 version) and Torsen fluids?
Here's some for the Torsen at a good price.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Take a look at Motul DCTF for the trans and Severe Gear for the diff. I've run a few different fluids and so far these have been quite good. Those Frenchies may not work a full week, but when they do they make some nice products!
I've run Motul DCTF since the beginning, perfectly fine for me, and I was using their 75w140 competition, but hard to stomach at $30/liter.

Thinking about something like Royal Purple 75w140 on the next drain for like half the price.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
What are the differences between ATF, Manual Trans fluid, and DCTF?
Additives and detergents. The manufacturers have all their own requirements to get them just right like Dexron for Chevy, Mercon for Ford, etc.

Depending on the transmission, typical duty/load, rpm/speeds, etc have them figuring out different temperature levels and viscosity indices they'd prefer. Notice how in that chart they mention that CVT are not ATF.

I'm not a chemical engineer, but I'm down to taste test if you join in.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Additives and detergents. The manufacturers have all their own requirements to get them just right like Dexron for Chevy, Mercon for Ford, etc.

Depending on the transmission, typical duty/load, rpm/speeds, etc have them figuring out different temperature levels and viscosity indices they'd prefer. Notice how in that chart they mention that CVT are not ATF.

I'm not a chemical engineer, but I'm down to taste test if you join in.
Roger that.
I'm afraid I'm entering the rabbit hole now. I saw AMSOIL manual trans fluid but says its only 5w30 when BG is 75w80
Then Royal Purple Sychromax fluid says it's for low viscosity requirements🤯

Luckily OPMustang emailed back and said should be back in stock tomorrow....but now that I'm looking around, BG Products seem rather expensive

MD
I've been running Redline (trans and diff) for the past 2 years/~35 events with no complaints. Redline MTL and 75w140 are ~$60/gallon and still look serviceable when they come out after ~8 days (fluid changes with tire changes bc no fluid coolers).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Roger that.
I'm afraid I'm entering the rabbit hole now. I saw AMSOIL manual trans fluid but says its only 5w30 when BG is 75w80
Then Royal Purple Sychromax fluid says it's for low viscosity requirements🤯

Luckily OPMustang emailed back and said should be back in stock tomorrow....but now that I'm looking around, BG Products seem rather expensive
The BG fluids are supposed to be really good. A friend of mine has used their fluids for years in his 2008. You may have been looking at the Amsoil synchromesh fluid. It is pretty thin. I have run RedLine mtl 75w80 in my MT82 and their GL5 75w140 gear lube for years with great luck. It available through Summit Racing. I have 95k on the car with 50+ track days at this point. I had Ben Calimer go through the transmission while it was out for a clutch replacement and he said there wasn't any gear damage. I am now running Amsoil 75w90 since that is what he recommends for his rebuilt transmissions. I haven't been running it long enough to notice a difference.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Plainfield, NJ
The BG fluids are supposed to be really good. A friend of mine has used their fluids for years in his 2008. You may have been looking at the Amsoil synchromesh fluid. It is pretty thin. I have run RedLine mtl 75w80 in my MT82 and their GL5 75w140 gear lube for years with great luck. It available through Summit Racing. I have 95k on the car with 50+ track days at this point. I had Ben Calimer go through the transmission while it was out for a clutch replacement and he said there wasn't any gear damage. I am now running Amsoil 75w90 since that is what he recommends for his rebuilt transmissions. I haven't been running it long enough to notice a difference.
Are you running the "cocktail" I've seen recommended that includes Synchomesh? Or just strictly Amsoil 75w90?

Are you running the "cocktail" I've seen recommended that includes Synchomesh? Or just strictly Amsoil 75w90?
Looks like the cocktail is not recommend.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Plainfield, NJ
Looks like the cocktail is not recommend.

Glad I'm running the 2 qts of 75w90 and .75 of synchomesh since last year then lmao. At least I haven't done any track days, only autocrosses.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Ben Callimer is no longer recommending the cocktail for track use. He is recommending straight Amsoil 75w90. He shipped 3 quarts with the transmission.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
BG in the trans will not protect it, I was using it and my trans took the dump. Syncros and all other shift mechanism parts were shot, bearings and shafts were OK.
My trans guy said it is too thick for the MT82, using thick oils prevents the syncros from engaging quickly without crunching that you can't hear, this builds more heat and wears them out quickly.
Ford recommends their double clutch fluid, I have been using Motul DCT oil since the rebuild and so far it is superior to anything else I have used. Motul DCT meets the Ford spec. Also now have carbon fibre syncros which hopefully will last longer.
Also put a cooler on, which is likely the biggest reason why the thing seems to be working better. Keeping heat down seems to be key.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel