The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

• Cam Sensor(s) replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiring Harness replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
13-2701 said:
I got a CEL the other morning and car starting missing terribly. Drove it directly to the dealer and was a P0306 code. The performed the PCM flash, and had me on my way. If it occurs again, they will perform the o-ring TSB. I can't say that I was overly happy 2.5 weeks into ownership and the car misfiring!

Cant blame you for being unhappy with the code. Fortunately, this was a common issue a year or so back which has been addressed by the factory. The computer update and o-ring has been the cure.

Good luck.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'm going to have to agree; certainly nothing to be happy about, but fortunately for you the rest of us have already been through this and have clear paths to solution identified for you. :)

Be glad you didn't have to own the car through the times when we were all still scratching our heads (Ford and dealers included) over what to do.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
What is the TSB # for this? It started happening to me two weeks ago and has happened about 10 times since. Wasn't ever a problem before until I started running the car with traction control and stability control completely off…not sure if it is just a coincidence or if the two are connected. Anyway, if anyone has the TSB # I want to take it into the dealer. Thanks

Adam

VTBoss302 said:
The cps o-ring and relearn TSB 13-06-15 seems to have taken care of the issue for me (knocks on wood)

2 months since I had my random misfire issues addressed by the TSB 13-06-15 and all is good. The only issue now is having to put the car away for the winter along with my '07 GT/CS. I get the blues this time of year.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
What goes into replacing the CPS o-ring? I'm just curious as to how much a dealership will be doing to my Boss. I hate taking it to the dealership. Last time they over serviced the rear diff when I took it in cause the axle seals were leaking. They filled the diff to the top of the fill hole. I have the 13 Boss diff cover so it must have been at least an extra quart. Oil was coming out of the diff breather everywhere which is what keyed me in to have this checked out. I was pissed and I burned my hand when I pulled the fill plug because I didn't expect it to come spraying out.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Flyboygsxr said:
What goes into replacing the CPS o-ring? I'm just curious as to how much a dealership will be doing to my Boss. I hate taking it to the dealership. Last time they over serviced the rear diff when I took it in cause the axle seals were leaking. They filled the diff to the top of the fill hole. I have the 13 Boss diff cover so it must have been at least an extra quart. Oil was coming out of the diff breather everywhere which is what keyed me in to have this checked out. I was pissed and I burned my hand when I pulled the fill plug because I didn't expect it to come spraying out.

To do this it's one bolt at the back side of the engine that's easily accessible once the battery and tray are removed. Very non-invasive.

I have had the misfire codes appear 4 times at the last session of 4 outings. Red key. Advantrac off completely. No aftermarket tune. Warmest part of the day 3-4 laps into last session of 4. Cleared the misfire codes either with my scan tool or battery disconnect. It has always run o.k. My question is… has anyone installed the o-ring per the TSB without doing the relearn procedure. It seems the o-ring may be added to combat vibration? I have not looked, but do not think the sensor mounting has any adjustment. I wonder as well, does anyone know exactly what the relearn is? Is it a software upgrade piece or a reset of adaptive values to set a baseline for the adaptation to work from? Thanks.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Relearn is a "teaching" procedure where the computer sets the baseline level for knock present during engine operation. They plug in IDS, select the relearn procedure, rev to 4000 RPM for a few seconds, and that's it.

Thanks. I think I will try the next track day and see what happens. I did 2 track days prior to the 4 misfire events. What changed? Front/ Rear foam under the intake was removed. I have a hard time believing this could have any effect on the knock sensors, but I put them back in mainly to keep debris out of the valley area. I'll see what happens.

576 said:
Thanks. I think I will try the next track day and see what happens. I did 2 track days prior to the 4 misfire events. What changed? Front/ Rear foam under the intake was removed. I have a hard time believing this could have any effect on the knock sensors, but I put them back in mainly to keep debris out of the valley area. I'll see what happens.

in my 2012 GT I started getting P0300 and P0302 codes as soon as I swapped to the boss intake. Since then I've changed:

cams / heads - no fix
cj intake - no fix
clutch and about 3-4 relearns - no fix
o ring added an new crank sensor - no fix
cylinder 2 new coil, plug, etc.. no change still P0302. plugs look identical to each other and very nice / oil free no black spots or white spots.
Changed to E85 - no fix.
Multiple tunes from AED, no fix.
never has activated limp mode for some reason.

Mine will come on within 24hrs of re-setting it. usually while idling in the drive through or slow traffic. I am so sick of it I just let the light stay on and check it every couple weeks.. its got to be a computer glitch.

2 years ago they did the O ring TSB for me, it was fine until yesterday, it went into limp mode and threw p0315 code.
Do you think a relearn is needed?

I just got done with the dealer, they did the O ring TSB again and all the relearning required. When I asked them the reason why the O ring TSB was done again they did not necessarily have an answer.

Will see how it behaves for the next track day...

13Boss said:
I just got done with the dealer, they did the O ring TSB again and all the relearning required. When I asked them the reason why the O ring TSB was done again they did not necessarily have an answer.

Will see how it behaves for the next track day...

How did the track day go? Did you try the 22mm rear bar?

Well i have had the P0300 code now after 5 laps on track, went home thinking it was something bad then cleared it and drove on the street fine.

A week later came on again whilst changing through the box at high revs, again cleared it

last weekend drove 250 miles at normal driving speeds lots of short and medium journeys and no light, so this is only happening at high RPM

Mines a 2013

big red one said:
Well i have had the P0300 code now after 5 laps on track, went home thinking it was something bad then cleared it and drove on the street fine.

A week later came on again whilst changing through the box at high revs, again cleared it

last weekend drove 250 miles at normal driving speeds lots of short and medium journeys and no light, so this is only happening at high RPM

Mines a 2013

I would not worry about it - if you have the extra rubber o-ring fix its just the CKP sensor having issues with vibration. Mine has all of those fixes and still comes on constantly, never in limp mode. BUT... something different happened tonight.

After some spirited driving I got in my car to drive home and the ALWAYS ON for years now engine light (p0300) was off! does the car auto clear codes after x amount of time? I stopped clearing the codes last year because it was annoying. suddenly now the codes are gone?

drano38

Wayne
Finally made an appointment to get this done Friday. They had to order the O-ring.
I asked the service rep what the "Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Relearn" entailed.
He said just let it run for a few minutes.
But some internet searching found a post that said it requires the IDS--Start session, toolbox tab, engine, scroll down to it.
So I guess I'll have to gently teach them one of the obscure requirements of the relearn.

twistedneck said:
I would not worry about it - if you have the extra rubber o-ring fix its just the CKP sensor having issues with vibration. Mine has all of those fixes and still comes on constantly, never in limp mode. BUT... something different happened tonight.

After some spirited driving I got in my car to drive home and the ALWAYS ON for years now engine light (p0300) was off! does the car auto clear codes after x amount of time? I stopped clearing the codes last year because it was annoying. suddenly now the codes are gone?
Interesting. Mine had settled down after the O-ring and PRS but now it's back. I was getting the code quite a bit on track a couple weeks ago but now got it and a CEL on the street tonight. Everthing "runs" fine but why would it all of a sudden start happening again?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
drano38 said:
Finally made an appointment to get this done Friday. They had to order the O-ring.
I asked the service rep what the "Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Relearn" entailed.
He said just let it run for a few minutes.
But some internet searching found a post that said it requires the IDS--Start session, toolbox tab, engine, scroll down to it.
So I guess I'll have to gently teach them one of the obscure requirements of the relearn.

Yes, you need IDS. You connect IDS, select the MMNPL, let the car warm up to 177*F + coolant temps, then one quick rev above 4K RPM and you're done.

TMO Supporting Vendors