The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P061B - Limb mode at full throttle in 4th / 5th gear only

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I m new in the Forum and also new to driving on tracks. I have had my second HPDE this weekend at CMP in SC with JTI and experienced some wired things with my car.
My current car:

2016 Mustang GT PP1 build by Ford with a ROUSH Stage 1 kit (6 speed manual). 61k miles
After the first track day at AMP in Georgia I modified some things to the car with: Performance springs (BMR), Steeda K-member, Chamber bolts, G-loc break pads, and some smaller other things.

So here is my problem and I was not able to find something in other threads here or in other forums that describe the same problem. First of all the car was bought new by my brother in law so I have a full history and the was never on the track before till now. The first session at CMP was very slow and I wanted to learn the car with its new mods and the course first so no issues, I could go all the way in 5th gear on the straight with 100% throttle.
In session number two I started to get faster out the corners and a bit faster on a long straight with a kink in it (fast corner). Going before the kink from 3rd gear 7k ish RPM into 4th while putting throttle back to maybe 85% the car showed a wrench and went in limb mode. It first started happening at the same spot on the track that is very fast but through out the weekend it started happening at other spots as well assuming I got a bit faster overall. So I stopped at the pit lane switched the car off back on and it is gone until I again shifted hard in to 4th or directly into 5th under pressure. After limb mode couple of times the Engine light came on and I read P0616.

After clearing it all it was always only P061B coming back.

I learned over the weekend to drive the gears in full rpm and throttle through 1,2 and 3 and than used only 20% pedal in 4th and 5th which helped not going into limb mode and enjoy some 20min of constant driving as a new.

Everything I read online was related to rain and snow on the MAF sensor or air filter as well as the pedal position sensor but than I think this would happen any time or frequently while driving to go shopping as well which it does not...only at full torque and high speed on the track. Something else I read is that the tune could be off which seems since it is a ROUSH tune possible but also than why in 4th gear and 5th gear but not in 3rd. IS there some kind of engine protection going on ? Never been an issue in 4th or 5th before and after on the highway or regular driving.

We used some sessions to further break the problem down by short shifting with still full pedal postition (went into limb), switch off all tracking control (advance track) and it still went into limb....

My problem is that I dont want to bring the car to a shop to than just change all kinds of things without really understanding what is needed. So I hope you guys have a n idea or maybe an actual experience with this.

I also contacted ROUSH directly and they told me I should bring it to a certified dealer....

Thanks for your help and advise.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
Are you getting any abs codes? If so, I would look at your wheel speed sensors and hubs. Similar issues on my 15. The harder I run the hotter my brakes got and then car would start hesitating and then go into limp mode.

Are you getting any abs codes? If so, I would look at your wheel speed sensors and hubs. Similar issues on my 15. The harder I run the hotter my brakes got and then car would start hesitating and then go into limp mode.
That’s what I thought as well but I don’t get a ABS code. Which code did you get when this happened ? I had an ABS code on the first track day but deleted it out and it also did not came back now with the P061B code which is torque calculation.

Does anybody had issues with the twin 60mm Roush throttle body which I think is using the standard Ford servo ?

I just found this in the net in regards to the failure code which to me also does not make sense..... any thoughts ?

....this is an error code after a tune caused because the ECU sees more torque/HP than stock. the drive by wire system is calculating the expected torque, if the engine produces more than expected you get an error code. raising the allowable wheel torque error will help you avoid the DBW errors

Update. Since I could not figure it out and things that I thought it could be were fine I dropped it at Ford and the result after checking everything was misfire in cylinder 2 and 7 which makes me wonder why it does not give a P03xx code and why it was just happened in 4th and 5th gear. I changed the spark plugs 4k miles ago and gaped them to around 0.3 (NGK) so sounds strange to me but I will change them and see if this happens again on the track.

Back to zero. Quick Update on the issue and I hope you guys can help. I updated the spark plugs and got new coils. I changed the rear wheel hubs and all wheel speed sensors.

I went on the track two weeks ago at Road Atlanta and again got the P061B failure code and limp mode after the long straight at the back coming out of turn 11B (I htink).

I checked all sensors and everything was Ok the only thing I saw was some misfire on Cylinder 1 but still in the range. But after cool down lap I saw that the coolant for the supercharger was boiling. Even though the IAT reading showed 120 which looked in range I m not sure if maybe this is the issue that the supercharger gets too hot.

If you guys have any idea please let me know since this is currently not so much fun to push the car and realize once it gets really fast it shuts off.

Also if there are some other ROUSH kit users in the Forum do you have issues in a similar manner ?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
That is interesting for sure. I was surprised that after 2 20 minute sessions, I had a drivers side rear axle nut back off slightly and my right front spindle nut did the same thing. Lights came back on and then once I tighted up to 250lbs I reset and no codes. If not something with the speed sensor/hubs, then I would have to guess the Tune may have to have something to do with it. I was reading that there are some that have had issues with aftermarket tunes periodically but were able to resolve with an updated tune.

Thanks for your reply.

You might be right on this, I contacted Roush on an update and I hope they do it but you would think a Roush factory tune works fine.

so next step is to get a new tune but beyond that I m really clueless. And I m already worried to sign up on another track day without for sure having this fixed

MD
If the re-flash isn't successful, does it have a catch can? Have you checked the intake tract and maf for oil/residue? Not sure when/if 2016 got the revised valve cover baffle but it may be oil on the maf. The early baffle design can retain oil at high rpm/g and some of that oil can move to the intact tract through the pcv.

In my case the car would misfire then eventually clean itself off with enough airflow that it would go back to "normal" until enough oil covered the maf again. Next time it happened on track, I came off immediately and took the intake tract apart to find fluid oil along with the usual residue. A catch can was added and it would capture oil so the car wouldn't misfire but oil was still going through the pcv. Adding the latest design valve cover solved my problem. 2017+ coyote/voodoo/predator baffle/valve cover include revised designs.

TMO Supporting Vendors