The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Porsche Taycan --- er , one drive and I am afraid I just changed my mind about EV!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Noise is inherently part of the aura of hammering on a vehicle , whether at the track or a short burst on the highway, and as quiet as the EV machines are , I felt it would be impossible for me to get into one. Well ,bingo, I will be the first to admit I was horribly wrong because after hammering a new Porsche Taycan at our Porsche Store ( my son Ryan is a Salesperson there) I can be converted immediately. Ryan took me out for a drive and hit the pedal to the metal right out of the box, and I looked like a bobble head doll under that rapid acceleration - literally banged my head against the back of the seat. Holy poo-poo , the machine is insane and easily faster than my Boss S and I hesitate to say this , but probably quicker to 60 than my 2013 Viper GTS. I am way more excited about the Mustang EV now, because it will definitely be more in the price range of my wheelhouse.

After my son stopped and told me to switch sides I was blown away even further as this German may-sheen hooks up like who laid the chunk ---- AWD , no slip , just go-go! Cornering was full on SportsCar solid and crisp and knowing the guys working on the Mustang EV I think we are in for a bigger treat than we even expected. I am right at 99% sure there will be one at the Ford and Mustang Roundup at Motorsports Park Hastings in early October ( racemph.com ) and like the GT 500 that was there last year, I would bet a bundle it will see track time!!

Anyway, Porsche did another cool move by making a unique built in sound system to give you and aural feeling of the cars propulsion and though it does not sound like a gasoline motor, it does surround you with the sensation of it's speed.

Oh, well, I was a huge anti-electric driver, but it is amazing how terrific speed and handling easily changed my mind. Bring on the Blue Oval Battery Beast , I am shockingly excited and will definitely get a charge out of it when it shows up in our showrooms.

I'm not surprised by this... I'm looking forward to test driving one soon.

Wait until you drive one for a long time. If you can charge at home the whole range anxiety disappears and it's only long trips that you have to do a little planning for a charge. Please raise your hand if you like going to a gas station.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I actually do not mind going to yon Petrol Pump, but am thinking of the wifey. She does not like to fill up with smelly fuel ( her words ) and I usually do it for her when we are in her Jeep - plug and play would be perfect for her. The Porsche test drive put a whole new impression on me about the Mach E and it would be perfect for her needs. Long trips , I would just figure on using my truck, or if for long distance just hopping on a plane.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
🖐
I like going to a station, fueling up and leaving in the same time it takes my wife to "Down Load". When batteries can recharge in the time it takes to eat a nice sit down meal, then the EV will have finally arrived, for me.
I know I am the exception. Driving 500-1000 miles one way is not unusual for me. Direct flights from where I live to where I work do not exist. So, bring on the longer run times or shorter charge times.
Of course, If the Ford team brings a Sparky version of the Mustang which kicks ass......all bets are off.

I actually do not mind going to yon Petrol Pump, but am thinking of the wifey. She does not like to fill up with smelly fuel ( her words ) and I usually do it for her when we are in her Jeep - plug and play would be perfect for her. The Porsche test drive put a whole new impression on me about the Mach E and it would be perfect for her needs. Long trips , I would just figure on using my truck, or if for long distance just hopping on a plane.
I predict you'll change your mind on that too. ;)

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sorry, I am with TMS on long trips , I do plenty and I have no desire to wait at a charging station and though I really could see a EV for my wife and I for local, going 600-1000 miles to a track to run ( at times ) or heading cross country, I see fueling up ( quickly) as a major benefit!!! Heck, I already hate the time it takes to fuel up, so waiting longer is not in the cards for me!

Last edited:
Drove a Tesla this week......first time in an EV as well. I had the same reaction.....I could definitely own this. I was amazed at how easy it was to move through traffic....just think it and you are there....no waiting....no drama. The no-noise thing was odd but as a commuter it would be so relaxing and easy to live with. If I could put a rollbar in one and some sticky tires it would be a killer hillclimb car. I was so against EV's but I'm a believer now. Can't imagine what a 200K Porsche EV with 750hp would feel like.

Drove a Tesla this week......first time in an EV as well. I had the same reaction.....I could definitely own this. I was amazed at how easy it was to move through traffic....just think it and you are there....no waiting....no drama. The no-noise thing was odd but as a commuter it would be so relaxing and easy to live with. If I could put a rollbar in one and some sticky tires it would be a killer hillclimb car. I was so against EV's but I'm a believer now. Can't imagine what a 200K Porsche EV with 750hp would feel like.
Which model did you drive

Which model did you drive
It was a Model 3......the upper level 50K version I was told?? I don't know how that compares to the Model S that seems to be the hot rod of the bunch. I still thought the 3 was darn quick so if the S is a big step up I really need to drive that version too.

We had one of the super zoomie Porsche hybrids at Sebring a few years ago, AJ made some laps in it, fast at first, then dropped about 150HP when the batteries couldn't recharge fast enough..at that point it was just a heavy Miata

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
That is a problem , but reports are saying it is becoming less and less of an issue and many expect a complete cure in the very near future. AJ had to feel like he was in a ZR1 , three laps and it went into limp mode from heat soak, hehe.

Ford sure did a killer job avoiding that issue, the crazy GT 500 ran all day , at the Mustang Roundup ( 2019 ), and never overheated!!!

It was a Model 3......the upper level 50K version I was told?? I don't know how that compares to the Model S that seems to be the hot rod of the bunch. I still thought the 3 was darn quick so if the S is a big step up I really need to drive that version too.
The Model S is a LOT faster, especially the P100D. But it's also a lot heavier and I prefer the driving dynamics of the Model 3 which I own.

Saw a Porsche write up in this month's Car and Driver.....Porsche is a car to be reckoned with..........................All 6 cylinders, mind you!!!!!!!!!!!!..VoodooBoss is smiling, somewhere out there.............. ;)

I think the new Cayman GT4 with the normally aspirated 6 is probably my favorite Porsche and just gorgeous in my eyes. Plus it's probably amazing on track. It's 120K so still damn expensive but it's almost worth it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel