The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Proper Cooling System Service Procedure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooling system procedure, I have been checking the Boss over and uncovered her in the last few days to test run the winter mods I completed in January 2015.

While under the hood checking fluid levels, I popped the Coolant Recovery Tank Cap and found the level was fine, but it is beginning to develop that peculiar smell. And I'm thinking it will be time to flush the cooling system in late spring.

I'll use Motorcraft antifreeze with a 50/50 mix with distiller water and perhaps this wetter additive if necessary.

But my question concerns the proper fill method. I don't have a coolant pressure fill tool, and I'm concerned about trapped air and resultant overheat issues. Is there a special way to bleed the cooling system during refill?

I looked at a few YouTube vids, but didn't find anything helpful. Can someone give me any Shop Tips? I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Dave
2HP

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The use of a vacuum evacuation system is nice, but not necessary. The principal is that you draw down the air in the cooling system with vacuum and then introduce the coolant. No air in the system means no air pockets.
Use this if you have issues, I doubt you will.

Drain the system by the radiator and any other low point on the block that is available. The plug near the oil filter adapter comes to mind. Let it drain well. Fill with clean water and repeat. I then add the proper amount of concentrated antifreeze for the system before adding water. This way any dilution from water left in the block will simply add to the water mix.

Test with float tester to ensure proper mixture.

Drive and check level. Fill as needed.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel