The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Questions on Tire Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all, I picked up 4x Yok A052 for AutoCross and 8x Michelin + 8x Pirelli DHF slicks (used) for the track. All of these are for next year. I'm concerned with keeping the Yoks in good shape until March/April when autocross starts up. And scrubs may not get used until June (hoping to make it to some events before that, but I never know) and later (I don't intend to use 4 sets in 2 days...). I have read probably 100 pages on storing them over the winter hoping I can keep them fresh. Obviously, there are the constant basics, away from ozone-generating devices, direct heat sources, out of the sun, not too cold, not too hot, etc.

I'm in Arkansas where winter isn't too bad. I have a finished area in my basement with one room, a small hallway, and a half bath. It's empty other than a dehumidifier that the previous owner left. I'm keeping the tires down there. I'll likely switch the fluorescent and CFL bulbs over to LED (which emit no/low UV/ozone). It isn't heated and this is my first winter in this house, so I'll have to keep an eye on temps. I know humidity is a factor, and that's the area I can't find good info from any major tire manufacturers other than too much humidity being bad. I set the dehumidifier to run continuously (it's "lowest" setting, the next setting below 35%...it drains itself out of the basement so I don't have to worry about emptying it). After a day of running, the machine got the humidity level down from 70% to 30% on a rainy/muggy day, so I imagine it can get lower if allowed to sit there and run without me opening and closing the doors.

After doing that yesterday, I read in two places that there needs to be some humidity and that too low of humidity levels can excessively dry the tires out (neither source indicated what would be considered too low). This doesn't make much sense to me, since the dehumidifier isn't going to do anything to the oils and compounds in the tire, only the water if there is any...but is there anything to that? Should I set the dehumidifier to keep it, say 45-50% levels down there?

Should I roll some Hot Lap or similar tire treatment on the scrubs as they sit? I have read good experiences with it helping tire temps and life on scrubs, but that was mainly from people using it in the days leading up to an event. I'm not sure if there's anything to be gained coating them months in advance while they're stored, but if it helps them stay in shape, I'll give it a try. If it'll ruin them or there's a chance that it will, I'll stay away.

I know I'm overthinking it, but some of these are likely to sit for up to a year and I want to protect the investment (mainly the Yoks...4 of them were twice the price of the 16 slicks 🙃).

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Overthinking , just put them down in the basement but not too close to any electric motors. Put them in black bags if you want and you should be fine in Walmartland -- you have plenty of humidity down there, ha.

Heck, as quick as the Yokes get hot, maybe a little seasoning will harden them a bit and you will not have to spray them down after a couple of runs, ha!

ask and ye shall receive

ask and ye shall receive

You're an alright guy, Rob. Thanks for the link, that one had NOT come up in my search. I wouldn't have removed the pickup. I thought you were just supposed to leave it until it came off of the next heat-up at the track.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would scrape off the tires ( many also use an electric blade ) to get off the OPR, but not sure you want to use Formula V on the tires noting wear is extremely accelerated. These products were really needed with race tires or autocross tires decades back since they were not as the compounds were not as soft as they are now. Clean the tires up, wrap them, put them in a cool, dry place, and they are ready to use them at the track/autocross next year.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors