The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Randy Pobst claims 2nd place at Pikes Peak Hill Climb in Tesla Model 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I feel like yelling "Traitor". Or something like that. ;)
Or I could just have another beer and ignore the whole electric car thing. Or several beers. 🍺🍻🍺🍻

Just don't see me ever driving a whizzer car on a race course. Or anywhere.
But it'll probably happen, assuming I live another decade or two.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
JDee , what the heck is a Whizzer? Sometimes you Canucks confuse me, sounds like a car the runs on pee? I guess that must be correct , cuz obvoiously you are pissed off, hehe. I figure if you and I live another decade we will be racing electrics, the problem is it will be you and me in chairs zipping around the Nursing Home.........

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
JDee , what the heck is a Whizzer? Sometimes you Canucks confuse me, sounds like a car the runs on pee? I guess that must be correct , cuz obvoiously you are pissed off, hehe. I figure if you and I live another decade we will be racing electrics, the problem is it will be you and me in chairs zipping around the Nursing Home.........

A whizzer car is an electric car, or perhaps a nuke powered car a la the Delorean in Back to the Future, but one which is very quiet (other than their loud tire noise) as they whiz silently around the streets.

Yeah, I can see me in the old folks home in an electric chair offering to take on all comers! "C'mon ya chickens, I can take ya!" We would of course be racing our chairs on the famous Nursburgring! Barump-bump!

LOL!!;)

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You can race at Nurseburgring, I am going to be ripping it up over at Spa - Franks and Chops. More relaxing and then they feed you well after you are done ---yuk, yuk.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Actually, Whizzer was a company in the 1940's through early 60's that sold a small gas engine you could bolt onto your bicycle to make it a motorcycle. Had a great-uncle or something that used to work for the company. My Dad tells a story of when he was in high school in the mid-50's he tried to get a Whizzer for his Schwinn, but his mother wouldn't let him.

Anyway, good for Randy. Though all the EV's have the advantage of not losing power like the gas cars due to the thin air near the summit.

Not a bad result considering the car was crashed hard two days before and didn’t get much practice.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I don't get the hype. He finished 21st overall out of 44 cars. 1 minute and 30 seconds slower than this years overall winner and 3 minutes slower than the 2018 track record. He was beat by a Camaro, Toyota 86 (FR-S), Hellcat, Evo X and a stock 2018 Tesla Model 3. He only finished 2nd in the exhibition class which is basically no rules.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have to agree, since Randy is a talented wheelman, this is more of a let down than a situation to promote. As you noted Racer47, there were plenty of machines ahead of him that if one had to bet on initially, they would have given Randy the nod. Oh, well, as they often say there is no such thing as bad publicity.............

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
More a story of perseverance than success in the actual race IMO. Pretty big feat to get the car rebuilt , and they had power issues on the official timed run that I’m sure put them further down the finishing order. I wish they could have competed without the setback to get a true feel of potential.

I witnessed the track potential of the Tesla’s at Buttonwillow back in July. Tesla Corsa is a local group of track focused owners that compete in different classes here in SoCal. The same car that Randy crashed at Pikes Peak set a track record at Buttonwillow at TeslaCorsa9 - 1:54.266 is fast! With endurance being the Achilles heel of electric, they’re likely not going to be a force in wheel to wheel, but they certainly can be competitive in time trial.

https://electrek.co/2020/07/28/tesla-model-3-race-car-breaks-track-record-sets-pikes-peak/

Still not my thing, however it really opened my eyes to the potential, and honestly I was thrilled to see a whole different group get involved with Motorsports that most likely never would have without this emerging technology.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
You know, I just haven't had as much enthusiasm for the Pikes Peak hill climb since they paved the road. Thanks Sierra Club (not!) https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a29542/paving-pikes-peek-hill-climb/

You, me, Pikes Peak racers and thousands of fans agree. The whole event is not what it used to be. Its a shame. Only 44 cars this year. There used to be over 150 entrants on gravel.

On the plus side, Pikes Peak is known for having the strictest roll cage rules in racing. These guys walked away after a riduclous crash that most likely would have never happened had the course still been dirt/gravel.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
More a story of perseverance than success in the actual race IMO. Pretty big feat to get the car rebuilt , and they had power issues on the official timed run that I’m sure put them further down the finishing order. I wish they could have competed without the setback to get a true feel of potential.
That's what I was thinking - that they continued competing and finished 2nd after the crash was pretty impressive.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Grit your teeth, shut your eyes and count the bumps. It's amazing to go through that and continue on. That road up to the top is not for the feint of heart. Even not at speed.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Grit your teeth, shut your eyes and count the bumps. It's amazing to go through that and continue on. That road up to the top is not for the feint of heart. Even not at speed.
I'll go along with grit your teeth, but I'm not shutting my eyes driving in Colorado. Scenery is to good, jeep, raft, train, car, truck, motorcycle and plane. Independence Pass, Leadville, jeep trail between Ouray and Telluride, jeep trail up to Bridal Veil Falls in Telluride. I have too many favorite spots to visit when I go thru Colorado.

TMO Supporting Vendors