The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear axle end play

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone know what axle end play is within spec?
I have a clunk whenever weight transfer occurs at the track or on spirited mountain drives.
It looked like coming from the rear axle.
I though I had left a tool in the spare tire void...
Put the car on a lift: No play in any arm or at the panhard bar!
Nothing loose or in contact.
Took the wheels and the brakes off and I can really feel the axles side movement...
At the C clips in the diff...
Any ideas or experiences?
Thx
Patrick

What sort of modifications have you done to it? Or it might be the stock 2 piece driveshaft if you still have it?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Last month I pulled the rear axles and serviced the rear differential. Boss now has 12K miles but at 4K miles I replaced the DS with the AE 4.0" unit, and as most know you have to replace the rear pinion flange and re torque the pinion crush sleeve.

I wanted to service the diff and check the ring and pinion wear pattern, fortunately all is well with a nice full pattern that is not too deep.

The rear axles on my 12 Boss has a surprising amount of end play, and under the C clips no shims are used to reduce the play. I looked online for the specs, but came up empty. Reassembled rear, changed out the fluid, using Royal Purple and a 4oz bottle of Ford friction modifier. Other than a few clunks at low speed, all is well. I'm fortunate that I have never had any gear or bearing noise that some have reported.

But Yes, axle end play and some pinion gear/bearing play.

Hi Pro

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Mine started to clunk and it turned out to be the upper control arm. I had an aftermarket arm that was spherical. Replaced it with a poly arm as I hated the clunk and all is good now.

Adam

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel