The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Rear brake caliper issue? Weird pad deposit with new pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lubbock
First, the pads are brand new and both rear rotors were turned. I've been having a weird 'pop' or 'creak' sound from my driver side rear for a while (before and after new pads/rotors). I'm stuck trying to figure out the noise but I noticed a difference in the patterns left on the rotors. Also, I regreased all the slide pins in case that was the issue. It looks like the top portion of the rotor with the issue is bouncing or something? Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_1410.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lubbock
You may want to look at the bearings and or half shafts for the noise. The rotors look fine.
I forgot to say, the noise only occurs when coming to a stop or accelerating from a stop. Wouldn't those sound different and more constant? I can be in neutral, hard or soft accelerating.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lubbock
Did you "Bed" the pads to the rotors after install?

This is the result of bedding them. As you can see 1 of them is consistent and relatively uniform, but the other is not. And yes, I repeated the process and drove around for a week or so. The sounds were apparent before and after I replaced the pads/rotors.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Were these rotors turned on a brake lathe? The marks on the outside of the rotor in the bottom pic look like grinding marks. I've never seen a lathe turned rotor with a pattern like that. It also looks like the pad is not making contact properly across the disc surface.

Personally, for track duty I'm not a fan of using rotors that have been used and "reconditioned" through whatever process. They get an absolute ton of heat and a rotor failure is likely going to be catastrophic.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lubbock
Were these rotors turned on a brake lathe? The marks on the outside of the rotor in the bottom pic look like grinding marks. I've never seen a lathe turned rotor with a pattern like that. It also looks like the pad is not making contact properly across the disc surface.

Personally, for track duty I'm not a fan of using rotors that have been used and "reconditioned" through whatever process. They get an absolute ton of heat and a rotor failure is likely going to be catastrophic.
They were turned at Oreilly, but I’m not sure what they use. Im not planning on using these rotors o the track, it was more of a troubleshooting attempt.

Is there any reason why this pattern could occur on both sides due to an issue with the caliper? It’s just a single piston floating caliper (stock s550 rear).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lubbock
They were turned at Oreilly, but I’m not sure what they use. Im not planning on using these rotors o the track, it was more of a troubleshooting attempt.

Is there any reason why this pattern could occur on both sides due to an issue with the caliper? It’s just a single piston floating caliper (stock s550 rear).
Also in case anyone is wondering, the pattern is the same on the backside of the bottom rotor

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel