The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear caliper not making contact.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Plainfield, NJ
Hey guys. Need some direction here. Today I did a track sprint with my car (cross between an autocross and a track day), and between my runs I noticed my pedal started feeling a bit inconsistent. This was my first event since replacing my drivers side rear caliper so I looked there and see my pad isn’t making contact on the outer half of the rotor. Need to check the other side.
Besides the obvious of taking it apart and looking at it? Is there anything I should look at specifically in regard to install error? Would rather get some advice from guys who know better. I can provide more pics if needed.
Appreciate any help.

F1E7BFD9-314F-4935-AD1A-E0AF797F309D.jpeg

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Looks like there's plenty of meat still on the pad. If you fix whatever caused the misalignment and you're mostly driving on the street, the pad may wear back to normal by the time you have your next track day.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Plainfield, NJ
Looks like there's plenty of meat still on the pad. If you fix whatever caused the misalignment and you're mostly driving on the street, the pad may wear back to normal by the time you have your next track day.
I think either the pad wasn’t seated on the bracket correctly, or the notches weren’t lined up on the piston correctly. I buttoned everything up and checked, it seems ok. I went for a short drive and the rust line was still there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the V6L
I think either the pad wasn’t seated on the bracket correctly, or the notches weren’t lined up on the piston correctly. I buttoned everything up and checked, it seems ok. I went for a short drive and the rust line was still there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It looks to me like the pad was mis-manufactured. It looks like the backing plate and the finished face of the friction material weren't parallel - the "top" of the pad was deeper than the "bottom". As the pad wears, it fixes itself because the caliper forces the two faces to be parallel. Put it back in and keep going - you're more than half-way there.

What pad is it? Who made it?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Plainfield, NJ
It looks to me like the pad was mis-manufactured. It looks like the backing plate and the finished face of the friction material weren't parallel - the "top" of the pad was deeper than the "bottom". As the pad wears, it fixes itself because the caliper forces the two faces to be parallel. Put it back in and keep going - you're more than half-way there.

What pad is it? Who made it?
G-LOC R6s. Been running them for about a year at this point. First time it’s happened

TMO Supporting Vendors