The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear diff options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wondering if anyone has played around with other rear diffs besides the OE performance pack unit? I have a non perf. pack car and the rear diff needs some love big time. The clutches are totally gone, and at this point I am thinking about swapping the diff for a Torsen (T2R, wavetrac, etc??) or possibly a true trac.

Just wondering if anyone has opinions out there, or should I just try and source a used PP diff? All I can find now is ones on ebay for 1000$ which doesn't sound so great for a used unknown condition unit.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Wondering if anyone has played around with other rear diffs besides the OE performance pack unit? I have a non perf. pack car and the rear diff needs some love big time. The clutches are totally gone, and at this point I am thinking about swapping the diff for a Torsen (T2R, wavetrac, etc??) or possibly a true trac.

Just wondering if anyone has opinions out there, or should I just try and source a used PP diff? All I can find now is ones on ebay for 1000$ which doesn't sound so great for a used unknown condition unit.
Wavetrac would be interesting to try, not cheap but it does address the short comings of the trutrac and Torsen. I am also looking for a complete diff assembly and the wrecking yards are sure looking to make a buck. I had found a complete diff from a 13-14 GT500, brakes and all for $1800, gone before I got home.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

The base diff needs a lot of love -- I can't believe the difference in my confidence and times from simply changing out to a T2R and moving up (or is it down?) to 3.73 from 3.55. I guess I could have gone 4.09, but the 3.73 were included so I just went with it to ease the installation. If I were to do it again, I'd probably grab a whole PP IRS setup and just swap in-out with the gears likely factory sealed, then part/sell the stock unit to recover some of that moneys, probably about the same cost to get a new one and have somebody pop them in and out for you.

Perhaps something like this? https://thepartsfarm.com/products/2...ntial-shaft-end-1?_pos=2&_sid=05b5c6eec&_ss=r
and then switch out bushings and whatnot while at it? (Price a lil' high though, especially when freight is added in)

Last edited:
The base diff needs a lot of love -- I can't believe the difference in my confidence and times from simply changing out to a T2R and moving up (or is it down?) to 3.73 from 3.55. I guess I could have gone 4.09, but the 3.73 were included so I just went with it to ease the installation. If I were to do it again, I'd probably grab a whole PP IRS setup and just swap in-out with the gears likely factory sealed, then part/sell the stock unit to recover some of that moneys, probably about the same cost to get a new one and have somebody pop them in and out for you.

Perhaps something like this? https://thepartsfarm.com/products/2...ntial-shaft-end-1?_pos=2&_sid=05b5c6eec&_ss=r
and then switch out bushings and whatnot while at it? (Price a lil' high though, especially when freight is added in)
So you just swapped the entire unit from a PP car? I think we talked about that and probably what I should do.... Where did you find it?? Price?

edit- I see that, don't love the price lol.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
So you just swapped the entire unit from a PP car? I think we talked about that and probably what I should do.... Where did you find it?? Price?

edit- I see that, don't love the price lol.
I'm one of the do as I say, not as I do, c'mon man :D -- my friend went to an OS Giken, and gave me a killer deal on their now homeless T2R and 3.73 gears that I just couldn't pass up.

I'm not even up to shadetree level, so I tend to work on things where failure is an expensive learning experience that doesn't really impact the car or my ability to track it, just delays the upgrade. I'm on their list as @67GTA kept sending me pictures from their facebook/insta feeds where they will have some deals occasionally at almost half that price.

I'm one of the do as I say, not as I do, c'mon man :D -- my friend went to an OS Giken, and gave me a killer deal on their now homeless T2R and 3.73 gears that I just couldn't pass up.

I'm not even up to shadetree level, so I tend to work on things where failure is an expensive learning experience that doesn't really impact the car or my ability to track it, just delays the upgrade. I'm on their list as @67GTA kept sending me pictures from their facebook/insta feeds where they will have some deals occasionally at almost half that price.
I found a diff for 800$ on ebay and decided to snag it. Free shipping so hopefully this one is good. 3.73 Torsen .

Did you go with solid diff bushings @PaddyPrix ?

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

TMO Supporting Vendors