The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear Wheel Stud Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
North Alabama
Hey guys,

In the process of installing my recently acquired 19x10 Apex EC7 wheels, I found out that the last shop to work on my car cross-threaded one of the rear lug nuts. The gorilla lugs I had ended up snapping off part of the stud when I removed it.

I went to Autozone to pick up a new stud to replace it but it doesn't seem to fit correctly. The ABS tone ring gets in the way and I don't want to force it through and damage the ring. The part number was a Dorman 610-290.01. It looks like the Dorman stud has a longer and larger diameter shoulder so that's why its coming in contact with the ABS ring? And it doesn't have a clipped head like the OEM one does, which I did try to flatten out on the Dorman but didn't help much. Snapped stud next to the Dorman is pictured below.

IMG_2842.JPGIMG_2843.JPG

I'm not sure why all parts stores list this as fitting the car when it doesn't unless I'm doing something wrong? Or my car is slightly different since it a Track Pack S197? I guess my best option at this point is to source an OEM stud from my local dealer?

In the V6L
Hey guys,

In the process of installing my recently acquired 19x10 Apex EC7 wheels, I found out that the last shop to work on my car cross-threaded one of the rear lug nuts. The gorilla lugs I had ended up snapping off part of the stud when I removed it.

I went to Autozone to pick up a new stud to replace it but it doesn't seem to fit correctly. The ABS tone ring gets in the way and I don't want to force it through and damage the ring. The part number was a Dorman 610-290.01. It looks like the Dorman stud has a longer and larger diameter shoulder so that's why its coming in contact with the ABS ring? And it doesn't have a clipped head like the OEM one does, which I did try to flatten out on the Dorman but didn't help much. Snapped stud next to the Dorman is pictured below.

View attachment 75673View attachment 75674

I'm not sure why all parts stores list this as fitting the car when it doesn't unless I'm doing something wrong? Or my car is slightly different since it a Track Pack S197? I guess my best option at this point is to source an OEM stud from my local dealer?
Yes, get one from a dealer. Problem solved.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
North Alabama
Looks like if you grind it little more it will go in.
I think I would need to grind the shoulder right when the threads start to get it to go in. The factory one goes in fine without any clearance issue with the ring. I’m surprised more people haven’t had the issue, I couldn’t find anything online.

As others have said, and just to be clear, you need to grind a flat on the side of the head of the stud. The stock one has it, just copy that.
Line the flat up with the tone ring to slide it in. It's how the old one came out as well.

IMG_2842_LI.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
North Alabama
As others have said, and just to be clear, you need to grind a flat on the side of the head of the stud. The stock one has it, just copy that.
Line the flat up with the tone ring to slide it in. It's how the old one came out as well
I did grind it down some but not quite enough I suppose. I am going to give it another shot tomorrow after work.

TMO Supporting Vendors