The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Recommendation for a tow hook

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
The idea of these types of tow hooks are to minimize the damage, not completely eliminate it. I bet there are some better and much more costly options out there if you're that serious.

Thanks to everyone for weighing in. Much appreciated.
If I can do anything to prepare me for a potential “hole in the ground” I’d like to keep that hole as shallow as possible; as far above the 6ft depth as I can. For both me and the car.
So thanks for sharing. I’ll learn

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Thanks to everyone for weighing in. Much appreciated.
If I can do anything to prepare me for a potential “hole in the ground” I’d like to keep that hole as shallow as possible; as far above the 6ft depth as I can. For both me and the car.
So thanks for sharing. I’ll learn

Please let us know what you decide to do. Another thought is HPDE’s where you can learn to drive & drive fast. It’s a wonderful experience & will sharpen your driving skills.

Be safe out there.

I’m the rookie who immediately jumps on the most played out topic and you guys helped me out. That’s so cool.
This is the first forum I’ve ever joined; with much hesitation; and I’m a bit more encouraged to participate since you didn’t make me feel any more unsmart than I already am. I’m here to hopefully learn something and I don’t have any illusions of grandeur... maybe a little ; )
I’ve only had the car a couple of years and only started going to open track events for a little over the past year so you can safely assume I know very little. I have had a few toys over the years and motorcycles have taught me the most about respecting the risks you are accepting when you participate in these activities. Therefore I am trying to focus on safety concerns and not performance improvements at this time.
I’ve been making a must/should have list; probably not in quite the right order. Wish I could do them all at once.
Maybe you all could tell me what you think

1. Fire protection for my body - Race Quip appears to be best bang for buck
2. Proper fire extinguisher and mounting - something better than what I have in the glove box
3. Tow hooks front and rear
4. Driving school
5. Roll bar - maybe Maximum Motorsports 6pt with removable door bars
6. Proper belts - at least 5pt
7. Visible gauges - FR Boss 302 gauge pod with oil pressure, water temp, and oil temp.
? If I added 2 more gauges in the air vents what should my priorities be on a track driven supercharged car? I’m sure sophisticated data displays like the one on the Boss 302S are out of my league.
8. Oil cooling - probably need it (obviously don’t have a gauge)
...and then air bags, power steering cooler, rear end cooler and or breather- Should I be concerned?
Phew...I think that scratches the surface.

Apologies for the never ending post. Thanks again. I’ve always been told I need all the help I can get

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Safety is always a good way to go with Mods. Cooling as needed, expect to need an oil cooler. The gauges in the Ford pod is what I run. They are back lit with warning temps and pressures. I find too many gauges are just something else I wont look at on track. The three you mentioned should be priority.
Driving schools or a good program with NASA or another organization. Get track time any way you can.
Safety, Track Time and Tires will pay you back first.
Get out there and have fun.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I’m the rookie who immediately jumps on the most played out topic and you guys helped me out. That’s so cool.
This is the first forum I’ve ever joined; with much hesitation; and I’m a bit more encouraged to participate since you didn’t make me feel any more unsmart than I already am. I’m here to hopefully learn something and I don’t have any illusions of grandeur... maybe a little ; )
I’ve only had the car a couple of years and only started going to open track events for a little over the past year so you can safely assume I know very little. I have had a few toys over the years and motorcycles have taught me the most about respecting the risks you are accepting when you participate in these activities. Therefore I am trying to focus on safety concerns and not performance improvements at this time.
I’ve been making a must/should have list; probably not in quite the right order. Wish I could do them all at once.
Maybe you all could tell me what you think

1. Fire protection for my body - Race Quip appears to be best bang for buck
2. Proper fire extinguisher and mounting - something better than what I have in the glove box
3. Tow hooks front and rear
4. Driving school
5. Roll bar - maybe Maximum Motorsports 6pt with removable door bars
6. Proper belts - at least 5pt
7. Visible gauges - FR Boss 302 gauge pod with oil pressure, water temp, and oil temp.
? If I added 2 more gauges in the air vents what should my priorities be on a track driven supercharged car? I’m sure sophisticated data displays like the one on the Boss 302S are out of my league.
8. Oil cooling - probably need it (obviously don’t have a gauge)
...and then air bags, power steering cooler, rear end cooler and or breather- Should I be concerned?
Phew...I think that scratches the surface.

Apologies for the never ending post. Thanks again. I’ve always been told I need all the help I can get
There’s a great group on here that fully understands that we all started at the same point, and likely had the same questions along the way. Glad to see you join up, and since you’re in SoCal I’m sure we’ll meet up at future track days.

Since your list of questions will drift from the original post topic on this thread, I would recommend setting up a vehicle build profile, and then use this exact same post to start your build thread. Everyone will be happy to offer “free” advice as you move along the journey!

There’s a great group on here that fully understands that we all started at the same point, and likely had the same questions along the way. Glad to see you join up, and since you’re in SoCal I’m sure we’ll meet up at future track days.

Since your list of questions will drift from the original post topic on this thread, I would recommend setting up a vehicle build profile, and then use this exact same post to start your build thread. Everyone will be happy to offer “free” advice as you move along the journey!
Yeah. I’ll do a proper introduction and build profile when I’m a bit more familiar with navigating the sight and I’m a bit more prepared

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
MODerateS197:

You have found the absolute best Mustang Performance Forum on the planet with members who represent the finest in cutting edge Mustang modifications. TMO even has Mustang Race Car Drivers that take the podium every weekend and they will even take the time to share & chat with us. (That still amazes me.).

In many ways TMO is like having an extended family, You’ll meet TMO members at the track & if you break, they’ll help you fix your car, with spare parts & their labor.

Just remember anything you need to ask is a welcome question on this Forum. So please ask & post away!

Oh, did I mention we love pics!

Good Luck, ☘️ Stay Safe.

Safety is always a good way to go with Mods. Cooling as needed, expect to need an oil cooler. The gauges in the Ford pod is what I run. They are back lit with warning temps and pressures. I find too many gauges are just something else I wont look at on track. The three you mentioned should be priority.
Driving schools or a good program with NASA or another organization. Get track time any way you can.
Safety, Track Time and Tires will pay you back first.
Get out there and have fun.

are there any nasa or local driving programs besides autobahn?

Finally got hook installed today (in time for Thunderhill on Friday).

A few point:
1. Hardest past is popping out the side of the bumper for the first time ;). The rest is very straight forward.
2. Instruction don't say to have Cover Support Foam reinstalled, I wanted to put it back, so I had to maker a small cutout and then it fits perfect. See photos.
3. Clip for the pin didn't feel to secure so replaced it with steel wire.

Attaching a few photos of the install and final look, but overall happy with hook.

IMG_7756.jpg

IMG_7757.jpg

IMG_7759.jpg

IMG_7761.jpg

IMG_7762.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Nice job on the install & thank you for posting pics.

As you can see BFR uses high quality materials in the manufacturing of their products.

All the best & good racing!

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Vadim:

Your cable setup created turbulence that renders your splitter useless, or worse, it created ‘lift’. Looking at the leading edge of your splitter, it has a wave.

Ditch the cable & use the proper supports. You can find the proper supports for about $50 USD or less. (Don’t pay Ford Performance $400 for the LS supports.)

Please know there is a member here who specializes in aerodynamics, he recently posted a vid or 2 on front splitters. You’ll find him most helpful.
Sorry I don’t recall the name, but someone here will chime in.

As for your BF tow hook bracket? It just wasn’t designed for that cable setup, (but please correct me if I’m wrong).

Remember we are here to help.

Remember we are here to help.
That's the reason I post questions ;) And I really really appreciate all the help.

The person you are talking about is probably @AJ Hartman. He has great videos about aero dynamics. We are in the process of making the splitter, so we are using cables during the prototyping/modifications, at the end we will another support beam and put rods, still not sure how many [may thanks to @Mad Hatter for help]. But even now, based on the bended support arms, it works ;)

As for downforce, based on what I remember about physics, downforce on the connector will be the same independent of the angle of the cable/rod. If anything cable will reduce the downforce at a single point du to better distribution of the weight. So I don't think there is any way this bracket would work if it would be rod and not cable. Here is a temporary solution we came up with:

IMG_7929.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Simplest example I can think of is that you turned the bracket into the equivalent of a bow in a bow & arrow way. Pull on the string and the bow is gonna bend.

In other words, the tension in the cable is way higher than the vertical downforce reaction components. My eyeball estimate is a factor of ~4x.

Bay Area
@Vadim go with splitter support rods. I saw your FB post and it wasn't as thorough as this. But there is a reason most if not al race teams use support rods. Sometimes its easier to go with a tried and true tactic that trying to reinvent the wheel. Good luck and hope to see you guys soon. Im looking at LS mid July. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel