The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Recommendations for cold and hot tire pressures Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
I run them at 32. That's a bit low, but they burn up so fast, I didn't find it makes a difference long-term. 34 will be the right balance if you are running a street alignment, tho.

Cold pressure will largely depend on the track and temps. I've gone out on 23 and as high as 27.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Thank you Gentlemen

The weather should be low 50’s in the AM and low 70’s in the afternoon. I’ll start at 25 cold and see where I end up. I run a semi aggressive track alignment, 2.4 camber front, 1.3 rear and a bit toed out
I’ll take temps when I get off track and see what that tells me. First time pulling temps with my new toy from longacres. 🤔

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Why the differences betw ZL1 1LE and SS 1LE? Hp and stiffer susp dictates lower hots for ZL1? Asking since these will be my next set on the PP2 at -3.0 ft and -2.4 rr cambers. Looking for good starting hot pressure for the square 305s.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I think you did just fine Rob, and you are likely correct due to the two tires different compounding. The other minor issue may be weight distribution , though the two cars are only about 100+ lbs difference in total poundage. If I remember correctly the ZL1 with it's Supercharger has more biased up front than the SS 1LE.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
it's better to overshoot than undershoot because it's easier to dump a few psi rather than try to find an air tank and add psi
Sorry for going off topic here, but blacksheep’s quote is exactly why for us guys who are not part of a race team a cordless tire inflator is SO helpful - I found the gauge to be perfectly accurate to the pound as tested against 2 other good gauges, hook it up and it inflates automatically to the pressure you set, set it and forget it. Compact, quick enough, and the batteries are used for my impact wrench (lug nuts) and all my other power tools - great for track days.

Sorry for going off topic here, but blacksheep’s quote is exactly why for us guys who are not part of a race team a cordless tire inflator is SO helpful - I found the gauge to be perfectly accurate to the pound as tested against 2 other good gauges, hook it up and it inflates automatically to the pressure you set, set it and forget it. Compact, quick enough, and the batteries are used for my impact wrench (lug nuts) and all my other power tools - great for track days.
you are correct,but I was referring to pit lane pressures, always overshoot, then dump psi after 6 laps, rather than hunt down a tank. I have one just for these
" oops" situations

it's better to overshoot than undershoot because it's easier to dump a few psi rather than try to find an air tank and add psi
On 3R you wont go from 20 cold to 34 though.. Not in my experience. I would say first time out try 26 and that will probably land you around 33-34 hot.

Also, not sure what tires you are used to... But session 1 in the AM take it very easy for the first lap or two. They are ice when stone cold and literally just skate right across the surface once they start sliding. . Once they start to grip up its a great tire though.

Last edited:
On 3R you wont go from 20 cold to 34 though.. Not in my experience. I would say first time out try 26 and that will probably land you around 33-34 hot.

Also, not sure what tires you are used to... But session 1 in the AM take it very easy for the first lap or two. They are ice when stone cold and literally just skate right across the surface once they start sliding. . Once they start to grip up its a great tire though.
has anyone tried running them lower? It's been my experience that in almost every case, the mfg overstates the hot psi.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I run them at 32. That's a bit low, but they burn up so fast, I didn't find it makes a difference long-term. 34 will be the right balance if you are running a street alignment, tho.

Cold pressure will largely depend on the track and temps. I've gone out on 23 and as high as 27.

What conditions have you needed to decrease to 23? With my limited experience I've been reluctant to go below 26 cold even though it looks like I'm not using the entire tire footprint (about 10mm of out sidewall only scuffed) with -2.45 camber. Maybe I'll try less pressure next track weekend?

TX
What conditions have you needed to decrease to 23? With my limited experience I've been reluctant to go below 26 cold even though it looks like I'm not using the entire tire footprint (about 10mm of out sidewall only scuffed) with -2.45 camber. Maybe I'll try less pressure next track weekend?
COTA raises tire temps a lot. It’s regularly 8-10 psi. Last event, I was concerned about under inflating some older pirelli slicks so I went out at 26 and one of the fronts reached 39. Obviously the best way to do it is to follow blacksheeps advice in and come in after 6 laps and lower pressures.

the 3Rs won’t go up that much, but 22-31 isn’t uncommon. I’d just try to keep them below 34.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel