The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Relocation bracket questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13Boss#3328 said:
Good to hear that!
I am thinking to add FRPP LCA ( polyurethane bushings) with brackets to my otherwise STOCK rear suspension, do you think that will help me put the power down better exiting the corner?
The LCAs would eliminate wheel hop that you might get now when you start to get wheel spin. At stock ride height you would not want to use the relocation brackets however. That would upset the geometry Ford designed into the STOCK suspension. The stock LCAs have a LOT of flex so replacing them should help.

cloud9,

Thanks for posting your feedback on the relo bracket holes.
I'm really interested to hear more when you get out again (far future it sounds like lol). I would never dispute the advantage of forward bite from the new relocated position....but I'm curious to the effects on the mid corner phase. When you begin to roll back into the throttle, you are stiffening up the suspension more than compared with before (increased AS%), which could break the back end loose easier. Would be interesting to see if the new setup actually does translate to overall better lap times, or if it doesn't because of that limitation. But of course, this is all driver preference and based on driving style... If you have the luxury of trail braking all critical corners and rotating on entry to setup for a late apex, then I can see the more aggressive relo position being beneficial.

boro92 said:
cloud9,

Thanks for posting your feedback on the relo bracket holes.
I'm really interested to hear more when you get out again (far future it sounds like lol). I would never dispute the advantage of forward bite from the new relocated position....but I'm curious to the effects on the mid corner phase. When you begin to roll back into the throttle, you are stiffening up the suspension more than compared with before (increased AS%), which could break the back end loose easier. Would be interesting to see if the new setup actually does translate to overall better lap times, or if it doesn't because of that limitation. But of course, this is all driver preference and based on driving style... If you have the luxury of trail braking all critical corners and rotating on entry to setup for a late apex, then I can see the more aggressive relo position being beneficial.
That will be the real test and my first event isn't until 4/26 (weather dependent of course). I do like to trail brake and throttle steer provided I can get the rear to hook. It's supposed to warm back up later next week so hoping to drive a little more then and maybe look for some clover leafs :)

cloud9 said:
That will be the real test and my first event isn't until 4/26 (weather dependent of course). I do like to trail brake and throttle steer provided I can get the rear to hook. It's supposed to warm back up later next week so hoping to drive a little more then and maybe look for some clover leafs :)

Oh 100% :) I think most like to trail brake. Especially with these cars which are so easily/ready to rotate, it's nice to take advantage of!
When I mentioned "luxury" i meant that perhaps it's course dependant. There will be corners where one cannot trail brake into (ie: a sweeper), so I'd be interested to see the new relo position affects on steady state corners, or on throw away corners where the perfect setup is either not a possibility, or that the compromising of the corner is prefered bc it sets you up better for the following one.

But blah. Enough mumbo jumbo. I too would like to one day experience these magical relocation brackets :D I'm still on stock suspension for now.

boro92 said:
Oh 100% :) I think most like to trail brake. Especially with these cars which are so easily/ready to rotate, it's nice to take advantage of!
When I mentioned "luxury" i meant that perhaps it's course dependant. There will be corners where one cannot trail brake into (ie: a sweeper), so I'd be interested to see the new relo position affects on steady state corners, or on throw away corners where the perfect setup is either not a possibility, or that the compromising of the corner is prefered bc it sets you up better for the following one.

But blah. Enough mumbo jumbo. I too would like to one day experience these magical relocation brackets :D I'm still on stock suspension for now.
10-4. I think the fatter rear tires I run will control it, but if not may need to look at a smaller (GT) rear bar.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cloud9 said:
Got it out a little today and initial indications are there is better rear grip on acceleration out of corners. It was only in the 50s and didn't get much road time so can't make a definitive statement yet, but initial indications were positive. 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow so it may be a while before I can get more miles on it :mad:

Snow is the best place to test traction ;) Good luck on getting better weather. Glad the initial results are positive, but more seat time will tell. What tires were you using?

Mad Hatter said:
Great!, I just did the same on my BMR brackets. Moved the LCA to the lower hole on the BMR bracket, Off to a Time attack on Sunday, looking forward to comparing notes! Also put in a BMR drive shaft hoop and Whiteline transmission rubber thingy.

I'm curious how this will go. The BMR lower hole looks waaaay lower than the FRPP brackets.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
So far so good with the BMR LCAs on the lowest setting. On Sunday I won my class with my fastest time so far at one of our two local tracks. Went from 57.7 to 57.04 seconds. I think it was due to the very controllable rear. Trail braking was easy and traction out of the corner was much better. Lucky I won by time recorded, Every time I went out again I added an other 0.7 of a second. No idea why, hoping it was just heat and hot tires..... :-\ but a little worried.

This coming Sunday I have another go against the Camaros from our club. Will keep the lower setting and see if it works out again.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well double confirmed. Changing to the lowest hole on the BMR LCA bracket got me down to 49.8 from 50.6 on my favorite track. Still behind the Camaros, the two ZL1s got 48.2 and 48.3 with the SS at 48.9. On down side is that it can get a little nervous in the rear on heavy braking. But overall highly recommended, at least for tight short road courses like ours.

Finally got below 50 sec which was my goal over the last year. Pretty much the only car left with 200 tread wear road tires!! Everyone has gone to at least semi slicks or Hoosiers.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Congrats on cracking that 50 sec. level! Good job dropping a couple of secs. off your times from last year. That gets you a couple of seconds behind the GT-R and maybe a second behind 911 times from your original 'goal'?

So with "P" springs and otherwise stock suspension, using the Ford poly lca's set to upper hole of the Ford relocation brackets? Street tires, no slicks. Occasional track use, mainly DD. Thanks.

576 said:
So with "P" springs and otherwise stock suspension, using the Ford poly lca's set to upper hole of the Ford relocation brackets? Street tires, no slicks. Occasional track use, mainly DD. Thanks.
That's where I have mine set using the same components.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just a quick update. I changed the BMR LCA bracket setting to the middle hole preparing for a bigger track with higher speeds and not very tight corners. But when I went to a small event at one of the local tracks (small and tight) I went from 56.48 to 56.09. I think I gained the time in braking. With the bar at the lowest setting, the traction and turn in is great, but the braking does get very nervous, with the rear end hopping and darting all over the place.

TMO Supporting Vendors