The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Replacement Axles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
My car had rear axles bent, do to someone else not knowing how to drive my car. Any recommendations for axles shafts for a street to track driven car making a little over 425 wheel, Looking for OEM or higher quality replacements ?

you do not want the C clip eliminator pieces, they are mainly designed for drag racing where axle breakage is a problem and retaining the axle is paramount, to use those on a street or track car will prevent the outer bearing from oiling properly. other than that Strange is a great product.
it might be possible that they have come up with some type of forever lubed bearing, but before you purchase one of these, I would call them. There have been a lot of issues with C clip eliminators and bearing life.
This is more our style for road racing.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Yes, agreed. But you won’t go wrong with Strange axles. Pretty much the industry standard for axle replacements.

Just select the right ones for your application.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
you want to see some star wars stuff, look at a breakdown of a cambered axle, not the kind witthe barrel ground axles, but the cortex one.
Definitely a star wars price tag too. A serviceable axle housing & $6,700 if ya wanna keep parking brakes!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
you do not want the C clip eliminator pieces, they are mainly designed for drag racing where axle breakage is a problem and retaining the axle is paramount, to use those on a street or track car will prevent the outer bearing from oiling properly. other than that Strange is a great product.
it might be possible that they have come up with some type of forever lubed bearing, but before you purchase one of these, I would call them. There have been a lot of issues with C clip eliminators and bearing life.
This is more our style for road racing.

Thank you I will probably run these, as OEM are $300. Technically I'm not paying for it,but might as well upgrade,since I have to replace em.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
That's the set I have. You will need to buy the rings (5R3Z-2C189-AA) & studs separately. Moser also has wheel studs for the rear axles - #8368. They are Grade 8 and better than the Ford studs (no apparent grade markings) but certainly not ARP strength.

Buy new Axle Bearings and Seals ( M-1225-B1). C-clips too. I also recommend a LubeLocker F880 diff gasket.

TMO Supporting Vendors