The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 RinerAutomotive's CAM-T Mustang Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Mirrorkhana was started by a guy named Rocky Entriken and it also happens that he is an old Newspaper Scribe, has numerous SCCA writing awards, is one of the 100% Drivers at the Solo Nationals, and has usually been in charge of getting writers to do the stories on various Classes at the Nationals. Mirrorkhana has been written up in Sportscar ( SCCA's magazine ) numerous times, so the idea for the event has spread all over the Country due to it's longevity, press, and association with so many Conekillers! In the 80s a win at Mirrorkhana was as coveted as winning a Divisional and there are those who made the trek to Salina, Kansas to run the event from many of the surrounding States. I remember guys from Oklahoma, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, Arkansas, and Texas being common and for some that meant a drive of 500 miles or so. For me it is so cool the concept has lived on and Clubs that end up running an event like this usually find folks want it run again and again. Thanks for posting the video and if your Club or Region has never had an autocross event like this, considering finding a site and making it a premier event ---- it is universally loved because you know when you have won, immediately.
Well, Rocky is still at it. There was a significant turnover in officers this year, including the RE moving back home to Indiana. Rocky is now assistant RE. As far as Mirrorkhana, it hasn't been on the schedule since 2018. I've actually only ever done it once, which was in 2015. They combined classes (I would have been 1 of 3 in STO-8), so there were 5 cars in my class. It was still the double elimination setup. I managed to win all of my rounds, so yes, I had fun. It's a fun concept, and I'd be happy to run it again. I'm not quite sure why they haven't been doing it. They started doing a regional challenge between the Kansas, Wichita and Salina regions that take up a few weekends, which may have affected things. The "specialty" event they still have is called "Octoberfast" and is set up to favor higher horsepower cars (theoretically). I couldn't talk them into just having a single cone at the other end for turnaround, so I still didn't have the FTD. Wichita's "specialty" event this year was an Endurocross. It was set up to run 3 laps at a time and then you had 3 runs at. Interesting note on that one - if you happen to watch the Motor Trend TV PPV version of Hoovie's Garage, he took a BMW out to that event. I don't know how hard he was trying, but he definitely wasn't vying for FTD.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I have been hoping we would do a " Mirrorkhana " style event in Lincoln , because there is a boatload of room, but the desire to run a lot of " National " style courses is hard to argue.l Hope you get your butt up to Lincoln to run some this year , because the courses are always quick , reach Mirrorkhana type speeds and are always competitive. I chatted with Rocky just a couple of day ago, since my wife and I have dual membership with the Salina Region. Since I was one of the ringleaders in starting that Region of the SCCA, it is hard not to contribute a little by staying an associate member and the city has always been quite positive and helpful to the autocross community. Kind of cool the town of 50,000 held the SCCA Solo Nationals for many years , starting in the 70s, then again in the late 80s and early 90s!

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I ran a mirrored event once but not where you'd expect. I was stationed in Okinawa and we had a little autocross club called the RCCA. We ran a mirrorkhana at Nago Circuit in like 2009ish. I had a 1995 Nissan S14 at the time, lots of fun. That group introduced me to AutoX in general and is really where I started driving.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I ran a mirrored event once but not where you'd expect. I was stationed in Okinawa and we had a little autocross club called the RCCA. We ran a mirrorkhana at Nago Circuit in like 2009ish. I had a 1995 Nissan S14 at the time, lots of fun. That group introduced me to AutoX in general and is really where I started driving.
That's interesting. Don't hear to much of Autocross outside the US.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Hopefully we might get some TMO members serving overseas to post some of the events they participated in. I know with Offutt AFB in Bellevue, Ne. so close the Nebraska Region of the SCCA gets a lot of drivers autocrossing who talk about events overseas ( Guam, American Samoa, Okinawa, Germany, etc. ). It would sure be fun to see some current videos of some events run in various Countries.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Correct PatientZero, but I hope some Military folks will jump in as Japan was not the only place where auto crosses were held, so it would be fun to hear about where others ran. I remember in the 60s a bunch of USAF guys were invited and took their cars to run a Hillclimb in Germany. I was around 11, but the coolest car ( to me ) running was a little NSU Wankel --- loud is an understatement , but it was a Giant Killer that day.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
While I had the dash out for my ABS module install (I'll get to that later), it was a good time to weigh the dash. Also a good time to try to reduce weight and simplify the wiring.

Weighing all the components that I removed including the heater core/blower assembly I reduced the dash area weight in half! If I wanted to cut the structure or carbon fiber dash pad I could have got it even lower. But I'm happy right now with it being around 50 lbs. I'm already around the minimum class weight.

Heater core/blower assembly = 18 lbs w/o coolant
Passenger side airbag = 10 lbs
Firewall sound deadening = 10 lbs
Radio/HVAC/other misc = 13 lbs
Driver side airbag = ~5 lbs??
PXL_20220129_174804264.jpg
There is a lot of unused wiring left in the dash either from options not on this car or from items I removed. I decided to clean it all out. Having the Ford electrical diagram book was crucial for this task. I found this one on eBay for $50. In the end 2.5 lbs of wiring was removed from the dash. Doesn't sound like a lot but seeing it all coiled together really shows how much wiring was removed. I kinda want to go through the rest of the body harness to remove more unused wiring. I don't ever envision having this car being a full street car again with radio, A/C, etc.
PXL_20220129_174837827.jpg
For more info or a better visual here is a video:

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
This past weekend I went to VIR, not to drive, but to help the club running the event. I'm VP of Membership for that club. This was my second time at VIR. My first time was around 6 years ago and my transmission tail housing broke after a few laps on track. That was an expensive weekend that I haven't wanted to repeat.

But this past weekend was a lot of fun. Weather was great on Saturday (60 deg) despite being February. Sunday was a lot colder with possibility of rain and snow in the afternoon. Having no time commitments or a car to worry about was great. Just got to hang out and meet people. I did ride in a Corvette, that was a blast. Still unsure about driving, but definitely looking forward to going back just to hang out.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Time is ticking away until the start of the autocross season. My first event is March 20th. The car is still torn apart. Here's where everything stands:

• Engine harness and ecu currently removed, was planning to so an EEC-V swap with CNP setup. But I've ran out of time. Project was bigger than I thought and parts have been delayed or difficult to find.
    • Need to reinstall engine harness, fender harness, ECU, distributor, radiator, air intake
    • Started filming this but haven't released any of this footage yet. Not sure what to do with it since project isn't complete.
  • 4 channel ABS install - 50% complete
    • ABS module is mounted under the dash
    • Front plumbing is complete
    • Wiring is figured out but not implemented
    • Front hubs with tone rings are installed
    • Rear tone rings will be delivered this week
    • Need to figure out best method for running rear brake lines
    • Video series will start this coming Friday
  • Dash is still removed but ready to go in once ABS is complete
  • New tires sitting in boxes in the Living Room (GF not happy about that) - 0%
    • Need to remove old tires and mount new ones
  • Version 2.0 of my front splitter - 0%
    • New quick release mounts from Professional Awesome Racing to replace my home made ones
    • Sand/round front leading edge
    • Replace steel support frame with aluminum
    • Replace air dam with stronger plastic
    • Touchup paint

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
No sweat, this is all minor for Riner -- Riner Automotive that is!
Yep just finding the time. I think I'm going to take Friday off to get a full day's work in the shop

PS - Ashley is a lot cuter than you!
Ha! For sure. I need to capitalize on that for my videos. I don't like the click bait or gimmicking stuff though. It's nice when she is actually able to come out and help though.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Last night I bought a Racing traction control system (http://www.racetcs.com/) to give a try. I know most people disable traction control, but I like that this one is fully tunable and standalone. It appears to be similar to the old RaceLogic TCS that people loved until it was discontinued. One of the main things I'm excited about and probably the main reason I bought it is launch control. Being able to get quicker consistent launches could prove to be hugely beneficial. The price wasn't too bad, $500 after shipping from Poland. One of my other reasonings is this seems to be a small company, never know when they might just stop making it, so why wait if it's something I want and can afford.

It's a standalone, universal, completely customizable traction control system. It uses the wheel speeds that I just added for the ABS and controls the fuel injectors to limit engine power.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Get a Holley Dominator, it solves all the problems, lol
An aftermarket system would be nice. I kinda like the Haltech system. I didn't see where the Holley system had traction control without spending a lot more money for add ons.

But there are also some good DIY ways to go about it to and save some money. If this system works as advertised it's cheaper than just the Holley add on.

Last edited:

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
An aftermarket system would be nice. I kinda like the Haltech system. I didn't see where the Holley system had traction control without spending a lot more money for add ons.

But there are also some good DIY ways to go about it to and save some money. If this system works as advertised it's cheaper than just the Holley add on.
You can set up traction control through the custom tables in a Dominator, you don't have to buy anything extra. The way I've done it in the past is just a simple front vs rear wheel speed. Then set up a table to pull timing based on your delta. It's 100% customizable and works well.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
The 4 channel ABS is installed. I mounted it under the dash as this is wasted space for me. But this turned out to make the wiring way simpler. I found that all of the interior ABS wiring (dash and rear sensors) is present in the harness although it was a non-ABS car. None of the engine bay wiring was present.
PXL_20220309_231149533.jpg
The hydraulics was pretty simple two lines from master cylinder to ABS module with adjustable proportioning valve in the rear circuit. Then a brake line to each of the brake calipers. I ran the rear ones inside the car and under the carpet. All of the brake lines are secured with p-clamps, plastic clips, and rubber grommets. Don't want any rubbing going on.
PXL_20220309_231209452.jpg
I was able to briefly test the ABS in the rainy/snowy weather this weekend, but only like a 10 mph stop in my driveway. But the ABS did activate and no sliding occurred. First autocross event is this Sunday (March 20). Just need to get the new tires mounted and she's ready to rip. Let's Go!

Two of the four or five videos are released.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Also realize I forgot to cover my push button start that I did while the dash was out. Got to finally test that this weekend too. Everything worked perfectly and it looks really cool. I did somehow wire in the two accessory switches upside down, but at least I wired the colors correctly. Going to make things way easier during the season. It also helps finish off the dash and makes the interior look more "finished" per the CAM rules 😏. No more gapping holes.

I hope the main On/Off switch is robust enough to handle flipping down the cover to turn off. It is a full metal switch unlike the plastic one that came with the cover, which was already broken upon arrival.

Video of the install and wiring:

Some items to take note if wanting to do yourself:
  • Disable steering lock or will still have to use key
  • If manual need to push in clutch with start button or jumper out clutch switch
Video of switches in action:

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
New tires for the 2022 season. Decided to try out the Nankang CR-1. Heard good reviews. Price wise they are comparable to Falken RT660. Grip wise I've heard they are better than RT660, but less than A052. Life wise I've heard they are better than A052, but less than RT660. So we will see how they go for the 2022 autocross season with dual drivers. They do look good though.
IMG_1838.JPG
I chose the same size than I ran for the RT600, 315/30R18, and are mounted on 18x10.5 wheels. I know 11s would have been better, but difficult to find wheels in the low offset that I need. The CR-1 does not have the rim protection that the RT660 does, so the pinch is more noticeable. It's not terrible but not ideal. I think a 295/30R18 or 295/35R18 would have been perfect, but unfortunately that size is not made.

Maybe slightly stretch of the 285 would be ok? But alas I'm not going to be buying new tires again any time soon.

TMO Supporting Vendors