The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rock Auto - stupid or real stupid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
So in another thread, I'm looking at buying some NEW rear calipers. It appears Rock Auto lists them, of course, I might purchase them and get a set of crap or purchase them and get a "sorry, those are back ordered!" message.

Has anyone had issues buying brand name parts on RockAuto? Is it stupid or real stupid?

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
My brother had ordered a set when he was having issues with his rears and they had sent him the wrong caliper (Bosch unit). The set he has on there now has been holding up fine but I do know for convenience sake, Autozone's duralast POS' have lifetime warranties so if you're ever in a bind at the track and need that part you'll just have to locate it and you'll have a free replacement.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
My brother had ordered a set when he was having issues with his rears and they had sent him the wrong caliper (Bosch unit). The set he has on there now has been holding up fine but I do know for convenience sake, Autozone's duralast POS' have lifetime warranties so if you're ever in a bind at the track and need that part you'll just have to locate it and you'll have a free replacement.

As comforting as that is to know, I also hope to be alive to collect that said warranty.

Although I can't say I would be better off with a Motorcraft. I had run front pads down a LOT before, but never run rears down this much. My instructor card has also been opening doors for me that previously never would be open and I'm putting more abuse on equipment than ever before. @Bill Pemberton pointed this out to me as well.

So in another thread, I'm looking at buying some NEW rear calipers. It appears Rock Auto lists them, of course, I might purchase them and get a set of crap or purchase them and get a "sorry, those are back ordered!" message.

Has anyone had issues buying brand name parts on RockAuto? Is it stupid or real stupid?
I've ordered a number of parts from Rock Auto, including new 6 pot Brembo front calipers. The only issue I had was a with a package that was mislabeled, had the correct part number on the package but the wrong part in the package. Rock Auto customer service took care of me. I will continue to use them when I am looing for OEM parts.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You may pay a bit more, but there is usually higher quality control and better coverage, warranty wise, along with having to meet specific manufacture specs with Ford approved products. Not surprising some rebuilds or copies just are not up to the same criteria. Agree with 2012 Boss and likely it has alot to do with my personal biases. We ran a very well known Motorsports Division for over 20 years and we often found cutting corners with supposedly decent products made us come to the realization quite quickly to deal with folks we could get rapid responses from, using high quality products they covered. Blacksheep 1 works with a super respected Tuner/builder/race shop and all you have to do is read some of his posts and he often will tout good luck and results with Ford Performance Parts. There are others but I look for solid service with known proven products as it is often the case it saves me money in the long run - better wear, better service, higher quality product, etc.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Rock Auto sells Ford/Motorcraft parts cheaper than I can get them from the dealer 15 miles down the road unless it's really heavy stuff like rotors and then shipping cost kills their price advantage. Probably one of the most Canadian friendly companies around along with LMR, you know exactly what the bottom line is in Cdn $$ to get it to your door. Can't count the number of times I've got hosed with brokerage fees from UPS/Fedex on auto parts that are duty free, I've seen like 60 bucks brokerage fee on a 100 dollar part. Ridiculous.

I have tried to buy stock parts from Summit Racing (free shipping over $100) but they are getting to be the same as far as when you hit the order button it goes from "in stock" to "back ordered" to "we don't know when you will get it". I have been using partsgeek.com with some success but their shipping is high but they have more access to Motorcraft parts.

Tim

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel