The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rotor and Pad upgrade question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guys,
Looking for some feedback. Is the following a decent rotor and pad combo for an 08 GT500 for track days. Mostly at Road America?
Centric Premium rotor front/rear
Raybestos ST45 pads front/rear (is this too much for an aggressive street tire?)

I currently am running Hawk HP+ front and rear, Motul 600 fluid, front brake cooling ducts on OEM rotors. Also, running Pirelli DH slicks.

drano38

Wayne
Jeff,
Not many of us here use Raybestos pads, but I'm sure they make something that works. I use Performance Friction 01 or 08 on 200 tread wear tires.
Suggest calling KNS Brakes, a sponsor here, and their banner is in the Supporting Vendor section on this page.
Road America is hard on brakes because of the high speed straights. Looks like your brake cooling and fluid are good.
You mention Pirelli slicks and street tires. Track pads rarely work well on the street. They don't work well cold, and generally squeel like crazy. There are a few exceptions though, Pagid being one of them.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
If you're already on HP+, I'm going to assume that brake noise in street driving is not a concern.

What I can offer is that Carbotech pads up through XP12 or G-loc up through R12 can be used on the street down to 20°F or so, with perhaps a little caution on the first couple of stops on a cold morning. Rotor wear with either of those pads is going to be closer to HPS than HP+, though the pads themselves may wear a bit faster on the track. What I can't tell you is whether the 12-level pads are fully up to what slicks can provide, or whether 14's and up are at all streetable.

Norm

Jeff,
Not many of us here use Raybestos pads, but I'm sure they make something that works. I use Performance Friction 01 or 08 on 200 tread wear tires.
Suggest calling KNS Brakes, a sponsor here, and their banner is in the Supporting Vendor section on this page.
Road America is hard on brakes because of the high speed straights. Looks like your brake cooling and fluid are good.
You mention Pirelli slicks and street tires. Track pads rarely work well on the street. They don't work well cold, and generally squeel like crazy. There are a few exceptions though, Pagid being one of them.
Wayne,
Thanks for your thoughts. I am shopping on KNS's website and has been very helpful so far.
As far as slicks and street tires, I'd be looking at two seperate setups for street and track. Only mentioned street tires in the event of running a track day and I wouldn't run a slick then.

If you're already on HP+, I'm going to assume that brake noise in street driving is not a concern.

What I can offer is that Carbotech pads up through XP12 or G-loc up through R12 can be used on the street down to 20°F or so, with perhaps a little caution on the first couple of stops on a cold morning. Rotor wear with either of those pads is going to be closer to HPS than HP+, though the pads themselves may wear a bit faster on the track. What I can't tell you is whether the 12-level pads are fully up to what slicks can provide, or whether 14's and up are at all streetable.

Norm
Thanks Norm. Cool temps aren't much of a concern for me. Were I live, if it's under 30 degrees, then we have snow. No snow for my car. I guess, what i'm really looking for is a set up that would provide for good wear at a track like RA.
I have been on the KNS website and it has been very helpful and will probably give them a call.

drano38

Wayne
Jeff, Now I see where you're going with slick and street tires. Hopefully the KNS team can recommend a pad that works great for slicks at RA, but isn't too aggressive for street tires on the track.
I do run Carbotech XP8 on the backs for both track and daily driving.
My overall plan for pads is find a brand that has great track pads and a street pad for daily driving. Pads within a brand are generally compatible, so don't need to swap rotors or re-bed prior to a track day.
I ran Carbotech for a couple years. RP2 and XP12 on 200 wear street tires, then the Carbotech Bobcat street pad for daily driving. Carbotech didn't work for me - I got pad transfer onto the rotors that caused severe vibrations when braking. Maybe I didn't get them bedded properly, maybe my braking style didn't match what the pads needed. Several members use XP24 on slicks with great success.
The PFC 01 or 08 and their Z street pad work great for me, and I plan to keep using them.

Jeff, Now I see where you're going with slick and street tires. Hopefully the KNS team can recommend a pad that works great for slicks at RA, but isn't too aggressive for street tires on the track.
I do run Carbotech XP8 on the backs for both track and daily driving.
My overall plan for pads is find a brand that has great track pads and a street pad for daily driving. Pads within a brand are generally compatible, so don't need to swap rotors or re-bed prior to a track day.
I ran Carbotech for a couple years. RP2 and XP12 on 200 wear street tires, then the Carbotech Bobcat street pad for daily driving. Carbotech didn't work for me - I got pad transfer onto the rotors that caused severe vibrations when braking. Maybe I didn't get them bedded properly, maybe my braking style didn't match what the pads needed. Several members use XP24 on slicks with great success.
The PFC 01 or 08 and their Z street pad work great for me, and I plan to keep using them.
Wayne,
Sorry this this stupid question...Is PFC, Performance Friction pads?

drano38

Wayne
Jeff, no stupid questions here on TMO :)
Yes, PFC is Performance Friction
PFC pads are more aggressive on the rotors than Carbotech, so they'll keep pad deposits from forming on the rotors. Hawk DTC70 even more so.
On the road course, front rotors crack before we wear them to the min thickness, so I want to run a pad that keeps the rotor clean. We all drive and brake differently, so the proverbial YMMV is true here.
Do you have titanium shims for between the pad and the piston? Helps the piston boots last longer. KNS sells them too.

Jeff, no stupid questions here on TMO :)
Yes, PFC is Performance Friction
PFC pads are more aggressive on the rotors than Carbotech, so they'll keep pad deposits from forming on the rotors. Hawk DTC70 even more so.
On the road course, front rotors crack before we wear them to the min thickness, so I want to run a pad that keeps the rotor clean. We all drive and brake differently, so the proverbial YMMV is true here.
Do you have titanium shims for between the pad and the piston? Helps the piston boots last longer. KNS sells them too.
Ok, thanks Wayne.
Yes, I have titanium shims on the front. Have had those on for a while.
I appreciate the tips.

TMO Supporting Vendors