The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rotor texture...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
I took this photo tonight from my son's 2019 rear rotor (non-PP). When I run my finger along it, it feels...for lack of a better description..."bubbly". It reminds me of when you have a chromed ice cream scoop get all bumpy. I've never seen this on my car. This rotor only has 7k miles on it. The car came from the NE. Any ideas?

0B35AAA5-A885-4989-8F37-392818897137.jpeg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Corrosion from unuse. Drive it awhile around town...lots of "assertive" stops on cold brakes. Oftentimes cleans up well.

They would clean up on a brake lathe, that might cost more than just throwing on a set of cheap rotors. From sitting on a lot? The stock rear pads are not aggressive enough to machine the rotor clean again.
Usually NE winters cause all the problems on the inside of the rotor, where you cant see it and the car washes don't get to. The inside rotor edge begins to grow and de-laminate the rotor material.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
As noted by others a new set of pads is quite reasonable and anymore getting them " turned " at a shop may cost as much as a new set with current labor rates. One other item you did not mention, but bears asking, is what do the pads look like?

The one item on the picture that looks odd to me is the numerous circular cut lines in the rotor ( at least it appears as such in the photo ).

Lastly, since it is the rears, just drive around yanking up the emergency brake numerous times and see if there is any improvement?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
As noted by others a new set of pads is quite reasonable and anymore getting them " turned " at a shop may cost as much as a new set with current labor rates. One other item you did not mention, but bears asking, is what do the pads look like?

The one item on the picture that looks odd to me is the numerous circular cut lines in the rotor ( at least it appears as such in the photo ).

Lastly, since it is the rears, just drive around yanking up the emergency brake numerous times and see if there is any improvement?
Yeah, since rotors are cheap I’ll replace them and get good pads. The kids want to drive this car on track I’m going to upgrade anyway. Having grown up in SoCal and then living in NC for 22 years, I’m not familiar with corrosion. Thanks all for the advice!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel