The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Roush UCA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm trying to order the Roush UCA, the one @BillyJRacing used on his project S197, and am being told it's been discontinued? Does anyone know anything about this or where I might find one?
Thanks.

ny
Fully boxed with bearing and powder coated Grey. Ifso I have 1 on a car nice piece all tig welded. See them on ebay

I got my Roush UCA from Summit, it was one of the last ones I saw in stock when I was searching. I'd check around with some of the big suppliers (i.e. Summit, American Muscle, etc.).

Good luck in your search, so far I love the Roush arm on my dual purpose autocross/street car setup.

-J

This is not a constructive comment. Snark is fine...if you back it up with sound reasoning or technical info. Let's be smarter than a Facebook comment thread, m'kay?
Wes, I don't think he meant it to be snarky and actually in the end I did decide to just replace my trashed UCA with another stock one.

As I understand it, the extra compliance of stock can be an advantage on a road course compared to spherical or poly in terms of not shocking the tires and blowing off traction. Cheap and no NVH is nice too. The "intro" suspension kits from Cortex and Maximum Motorsports seem to make do with the stock link, and I think several race teams (one of which I believe @blacksheep-1 works with) use it successfully as well - although that may also be a rules thing. I'm sure there are improvements to be had but clearly one can go fast with the stock link.

Billy Johnson described the Roush unit as kind a Goldilocks solution, stiffer than stock and geometry improvements but still with enough compliance and quiet, which I found attractive. But with the Roush unavailable (and the 11-14 version long since discontinued) I decided to just go with stock and get the anti-squat improvement with some modest lowering and LCA brackets. I put the few dollars I saved towards an Eaton trutrak.

By the way, I'm still loving your book and thanks for writing it. I return to it often.

This is not a constructive comment. Snark is fine...if you back it up with sound reasoning or technical info. Let's be smarter than a Facebook comment thread, m'kay?
not meant to be snarky at all. I use the stock upper with FP suspension on mine. Maybe because I've always had to low buck things, I've tried to spend my money wisely. The stock trailing arm is fine for about 90% of the applications, Billy Johnson (I crew on his IMSA car BTW) likes something with a bit less deflection, probably a driving style thing. but again, the stock upper works fine for almost any application you can think of, spend that hard earned money elsewhere.
Maybe the reasoning behind making a change should be.. "what is the benefit of this?" rather than wholesale changes.

@blacksheep-1 to your point I realized I was kind of internet racing on this upper link replacement project and asked myself what I didn't like about the stock one. I realized my answer was, nothing, until it started clunking lol. I definitely fall into your 90 percent, just driving my car to work and messing around at track days.

ny
I would have to say blacksheep is right. I have the roush arm in my car ( fr500c ex rehagen car) but I also changed out lower arms they are full heim jointed.also pan hard swapped for cortex watts fully jointed.so unless your going fully bearinged rear suspension not needed.
I would use the ford racing bushing in .
I also have a multimatic 3rd arm the roush arm was 1/4 of the price of multimatic arm.
Chris

I would have to say blacksheep is right. I have the roush arm in my car ( fr500c ex rehagen car) but I also changed out lower arms they are full heim jointed.also pan hard swapped for cortex watts fully jointed.so unless your going fully bearinged rear suspension not needed.
I would use the ford racing bushing in .
I also have a multimatic 3rd arm the roush arm was 1/4 of the price of multimatic arm.
Chris
Someplace on here I posted the old rules package for PWC, it was pure gold, I tried to find it on line recently and whoever runs PWC these days has removed, sad, because it was S197 suspension 101. If anyone downloaded it, please post it back up.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Burnsville, MN
I know I am rather late to this discussion, but this was exactly the discussion I was looking for. Thanks to everyone who contributed. If I can find a NOS Roush UCA, I'll probably pick it up, but for the time being, replacing my 100K mile stock unit with a new one will do.

I know I am rather late to this discussion, but this was exactly the discussion I was looking for. Thanks to everyone who contributed. If I can find a NOS Roush UCA, I'll probably pick it up, but for the time being, replacing my 100K mile stock unit with a new one will do.
The Gt500 might also be an option. Once you go aftermarket ( like Dorman) they don't differentiate, but Im pretty sure there is a difference in the bushing material.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Burnsville, MN
The Gt500 might also be an option. Once you go aftermarket ( like Dorman) they don't differentiate, but Im pretty sure there is a difference in the bushing material.
Thanks! I had thought that a gen Ford GT500 UCA might be an option, I just wasn't sure if it was really any different or not. I would hope and expect that it would be though since the 2007 - 2009 GT500 was over 500hp from the factory, and would certainly have benefited from a stiffer UCA.

Good info. I suspect my UCA is not performing well since it seems to squirm a bit under WOT. Seeing a listing for an OEM UCA, there are these notes. Does anyone have PN's for this hardware?

Notes: Part has related component that cannot be reused/reinstalled. front bolt, nut, rear bolt and lock nut.

TMO Supporting Vendors