The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 S16 Mustang Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Where'd that power distribution block come from? Nice looking unit, I could see one of them being very useful. I'd be reluctant to mount it on a moving piece like that though, motion isn't good for wiring in my experience. I'd prefer to bolt it somewhere solid, though on these cars finding space for stuff like that is often a problem.

Bussman makes it. Just a bare block with terminals and seals.

Agreed on the movement but the only time I will open the glove box is to check a fuse or relay so should be good. Don’t think I’d opened the glove box in the year prior to putting that block in there.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Ah so that was your car, I knew it looked familiar! Thanks for coming out and it looked fantastic. I approve of Brushed EC-7RS for your next set, that'd be hawt.

Hey Stan it’s Baltic birch 1/2” plywood. Drew some curves till it followed the lip to my satisfaction. Cut it and then routered the edges top and bottom to make it a bit more finished. Air dam is 1/16” thick 2” aluminum angle stock from HD Racing Supply. Pie cut so I could bend it to match the lip/chin spoiler profile.

it’s not sophisticated but I can remake it very cheaply when I ruin this one going off track. Would love to go carbon, maybe when I’m a more consistent driver.

1CA7F12B-FDBA-4736-A949-22AC3A446367.jpeg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Naw , stay with it Scoots, it looks good and my old ex-Boss even did a similar system with his Viper Comp Coupe. As you mentioned, it costs a lot less when one goes off track and as you get faster you will likely find others may be as much the cause of your off track excursions as those you initiate yourself.

You know you are on the right track when salty drivers walk up to your car and ask, " Is that carbon fiber or are you using baltic birch?"

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
Hey Stan it’s Baltic birch 1/2” plywood. Drew some curves till it followed the lip to my satisfaction. Cut it and then routered the edges top and bottom to make it a bit more finished. Air dam is 1/16” thick 2” aluminum angle stock from HD Racing Supply. Pie cut so I could bend it to match the lip/chin spoiler profile.

it’s not sophisticated but I can remake it very cheaply when I ruin this one going off track. Would love to go carbon, maybe when I’m a more consistent driver.

View attachment 75408
HMMMM i just need to find the materials in the land down under now.

Did Sonoma last weekend and had a blast. New PB by miles.

36ECE95D-5A85-4426-8FCB-D7C254405B45.png
Also been actively suppressing any thoughts of getting a trailer for fear of going full race car. However, the new TIG I got (HTP Invertig 221) may inadvertently send me down that rabbit hole. Soooo much to learn and practice but I already have a million projects I want to do with it.

4925166B-3DD9-4002-B8D0-6E0E00094C70.jpeg

Read RaceLouvers’ white paper on fan shrouds and since I needed to change my coolant anyways decided to hack up my stock one a bit. Hopefully still enough zero speed cooling while reducing pressure behind the radiator at speed.61CBD6DB-EBA7-4349-B12A-1772A349FFE3.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Read RaceLouvers’ white paper on fan shrouds and since I needed to change my coolant anyways decided to hack up my stock one a bit. Hopefully still enough zero speed cooling while reducing pressure behind the radiator at speed.View attachment 76392
Keep us posted if you see any substantial negative impact on street driving. Us folks who drive our track cars to the track have to consider both scenarios.

Keep us posted if you see any substantial negative impact on street driving. Us folks who drive our track cars to the track have to consider both scenarios.

Will do. I'm considering both as well, lets hope I didn't get it wrong.

Has anybody dropped the shrouded fans on an 550? What did you replace it with and how did that work?
Thinking that shroud thing has to be pretty heavy, nice place to lose some more weight.

I'd say fan/shroud combo is somewhere between 5-10lbs. Didn't weigh them but in there. If you trailer to the track I'd def get rid of them. Weight off the nose and better flow through the rad, win win.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
Also been actively suppressing any thoughts of getting a trailer for fear of going full race car. However, the new TIG I got (HTP Invertig 221) may inadvertently send me down that rabbit hole. Soooo much to learn and practice but I already have a million projects I want to do with it.
I have been looking at getting Tig myself, with zero welding skills i thought i would get one and watch lots of Youtube vids to start with and then practice. Hopefully i will become a master at it and do some projects on the car.
I have been also toying with the idea of the trailer and have been looking at Futura lowering trailer but decided to out do it and get this Rolls Royce of a trailers instead, 8 weeks to build it and almost double the price of Futura... I guess it's good not to have kids ;) :p

nev.jpg

nevco.jpg

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Will do. I'm considering both as well, lets hope I didn't get it wrong.

I'd say fan/shroud combo is somewhere between 5-10lbs. Didn't weigh them but in there. If you trailer to the track I'd def get rid of them. Weight off the nose and better flow through the rad, win win.
What did you replace it with?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
A friend of mine was credited with making one of the reasonable tilt down trailers close to 25 years ago, and they are a must for those of us with lowered cars or humongous front splitters, ha. Good choice and they pull nice and easy too. What is your tow vehicle down under, my friend?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel