The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 brake question...again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guys,
2008 Shelby GT500:
Just finished upgrading the front brakes to Raybestos ST43 pads and Centric Premium rotors. Already have titanium shims and high temp dust seals. Have not bled them yet nor has the brake pedal been pushed. As I spin the rotors on each side they are definitely dragging. Is this normal? I reused the retaining pins and anti-rattle spring. Pistons are fully compressed. I don’t recall this any other time I’ve changed pads and rotors.
the following is a video of the noise.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Guys,
2008 Shelby GT500:
Just finished upgrading the front brakes to Raybestos ST43 pads and Centric Premium rotors. Already have titanium shims and high temp dust seals. Have not bled them yet nor has the brake pedal been pushed. As I spin the rotors on each side they are definitely dragging. Is this normal? I reused the retaining pins and anti-rattle spring. Pistons are fully compressed. I don’t recall this any other time I’ve changed pads and rotors.
the following is a video of the noise.
Most likely just from the added thickness of the titanium shims.

Guys,
Just got my Raybestos ST43 rear pads yesterday and the attached pic shows them compared to OEM. The Raybestos are missing the anti-rattle clip. Any reason to be concerned over this? I asked Ken and KNS Brakes and he said no concerns, but wanted to get other opinions. I don't want to have issues on track.

Brake Pad image.jpg

Without all the anti rattle clips the brakes will clunk and rattle, this is why the cars come with all of that , so the little old lady from Pasadena won't complain about brake noise on her car ( in her case, a brand new shiny red super stock dodge) but since we already have creaky brakes that make all kinds of noise from the racing pads, this is not a worry to us, and since a lot of times in a race the brakes run way past the minimums, the pad thickness clip would just get in the way and cause problems as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors