The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Suspension Points

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Tampa
Would anyone happen to have a point cloud of the S197 suspension points? I would like to model the S197 in susprog or lotus shark to get some data to play with but I haven't been able to find anyone who's measured out the car. I currently don't have the time nor the space to do it to mine.

Good luck with this, most racing organizations do not allow changing of the stock suspension pick up points, for this reason you will not find much data to use. The emphasis is maximizing whatever the factory gave you to use. If you change those points you go immediately from a production class to a GT class and the attending rabbit hole that goes with it. If you do decide to go this route there are already units being built out there that have been well sorted, Rickey at Cortex would be a great example, and you can find his work in Fabmans How Did We Get Here post of 150 or so pages which greatly details the build of that car from a stock GT to some inbred Frankenstein track monster that was run with a blower and alcohol.
If you want to find this info, I would stop by a shop that does frame straightening and look at one of their repair manuals, they might have the info you need.

This is the closest I can get you and are the resources a frame straightening shop would likely have. If you used this as a 1:1 overlay in Fusion360 or other program and scaled it to fit the known measurements, then using the in-program measurement tool the 'unknown' measurements would also be scale-accurate since the K-member and rear suspension bolt points are modelled here (as well as determining any heights from the side views). You would then need to measure the stock arms and import them to get your final model. If you happen to figure anything out, please share the result. Good luck!

1660832751584.png
WS092qV7sW.png
1660833060086.png
1660833085189.png

This is the closest I can get you and are the resources a frame straightening shop would likely have. If you used this as a 1:1 overlay in Fusion360 or other program and scaled it to fit the known measurements, then using the in-program measurement tool the 'unknown' measurements would also be scale-accurate since the K-member and rear suspension bolt points are modelled here (as well as determining any heights from the side views). You would then need to measure the stock arms and import them to get your final model. If you happen to figure anything out, please share the result. Good luck!

View attachment 78303
View attachment 78304
View attachment 78305
View attachment 78306
Exactly what I was referring to.. Great find!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Tampa

View attachment 78303
View attachment 78304
View attachment 78305
View attachment 78306
Thank you for this! I'll work on this and see what I can come up with. My goal is just to be able to better understand the car and have data to play with. Data analysis is a personal obsession of mine lol

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Thank you for this! I'll work on this and see what I can come up with. My goal is just to be able to better understand the car and have data to play with. Data analysis is a personal obsession of mine lol
I have thought of this for a winter project, set the body up on some screw jacks, get it level and start dropping some plumb bobs off the suspension points.

TMO Supporting Vendors