The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Brake Booster & Cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Port St Lucie, Florida
I am upgrading my 2016 GT's brake system and found the following booster parts on parts.ford.com. I saw a YouTube video from Vorshlag Tech that points out that the PP version of the cylinder and booster are larger, but by looking at the following list of parts I have to ask: is there really a need for different parts for automatic transmission PP versus the manual transmission PP? Does the manual transmission clutch pedal assembly somehow take up space in that area and, if so, couldn't''t they have just used that same part on the automatic car?

BRAKE BOOSTER PART NUMBERS

BRB139 (2005) Ecoboost less performance Pack
BRB140 (2005) auto tans with high performance LS package **** $205.54
BRB141 (2005) power brake booster
BRB142 (2005) manual Trans with High Performance LS Package. MSRP $207.27
BRB143 (2005) GT less performance pack
BRB144 (2005) Ecoboost with tranction pack

MD
The manual and automatic brake master cylinders are the same, the reservoir differs. The auto version's reservoir does not have a nipple for the clutch line; the manual one does. The S550 uses brake fluid for the brakes and the hydraulic assist clutch.

Many have replaced the master cylinder with the auto version to divorce the brake fluid from the clutch fluid.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Port St Lucie, Florida
The manual and automatic brake master cylinders are the same, the reservoir differs. The auto version's reservoir does not have a nipple for the clutch line; the manual one does. The S550 uses brake fluid for the brakes and the hydraulic assist clutch.

Many have replaced the master cylinder with the auto version to divorce the brake fluid from the clutch fluid.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Up upgrading form a 2016 base GT. There are a number of related parts such as the vacuum tube, sensor, non-return valve, bush, grommet, gasket, nuts, etc. The vacuum tube is over $100. Would I need to replace this for the booster change, or change any anything else?

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I had come to a similar conclusion in my build thread -- https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/the-albuquerque-stripper.16040/page-12#post-256750 -- and measured it out. The only difference between the automatic MC and manual MC is the number of nipples is one higher in the manual because of it feeding the hydraulic clutch line. The Base GT and Shelby GT350 share the same part, and we know that Ford is cheap and wouldn't go out of their way to carry yet another SKU, so the fact that they did for the PP is a telling sign, and same for the brake booster, which also has a PP-only SKU. I was having plenty of brake problems until I switched them both out, and it acted as if it was a brand new car afterwards.

1651779267021.png
Hopefully you went with Z, Base GT non-PP is B.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Port St Lucie, Florida
I had come to a similar conclusion in my build thread -- https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/the-albuquerque-stripper.16040/page-12#post-256750 -- and measured it out. The only difference between the automatic MC and manual MC is the number of nipples is one higher in the manual because of it feeding the hydraulic clutch line. The Base GT and Shelby GT350 share the same part, and we know that Ford is cheap and wouldn't go out of their way to carry yet another SKU, so the fact that they did for the PP is a telling sign, and same for the brake booster, which also has a PP-only SKU. I was having plenty of brake problems until I switched them both out, and it acted as if it was a brand new car afterwards.

View attachment 75581
Hopefully you went with Z, Base GT non-PP is B.
I just now saw your post. Thanks

I ordered using the Motorcraft part numbering system. The parts arrived marked with both those Motorcraft part number and a “Part Number”, the latter being of a numbering scheme similar to what you noted.

I’m good on the cylinder — got BRMC219/FR3Z-2140-B.

However, on the booster they sent me BRB140/FR3Z-2005-J.

FYI, I ordered from parts.ford.com, which uses Motorcraft part numbers, basing my search on a VIN I found for a 2017 GT AT with PP

I will have to recheck this…

Thanks, again

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel