The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 engine removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooo a little old school stuff here, it might be a good idea to chamfer some of those oil holes in that crank while it's out.. it's a cheap and easy mod to do and can be done with a Dremel tool.

radiused vs non radius

1630588935930.png

Monaca Pa
It seems almost impossible to find a gen 2 crate engine. Can’t find new heads either. My question is what does it take to put a gen 3 crate in my gen 2 Mustang ??

Well easier than the gen3 I’m putting in my Ecoboost!

I’ve had to change the engine, body, and dash harnesses as well in the hopes that it will all work oem-ish or close to. Maybe you could get away with only anengine harness change? Other option would be to rewrite the whole car with a painless or similar harness.

It seems almost impossible to find a gen 2 crate engine. Can’t find new heads either. My question is what does it take to put a gen 3 crate in my gen 2 Mustang ??
These guys do a full engine kit. They might be worth a call so see what is needed. They might even sell the kit without the engine.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Gen 3 Aluminator short block with customer-supplied G2 heads and gaskets drops in...or so the tech support guys say at Ford Performance.

I noticed an OEM pickup tube...were you running a race-type big volume pan and georotor pump when the thing died?

Monaca Pa
Gen 3 Aluminator short block with customer-supplied G2 heads and gaskets drops in...or so the tech support guys say at Ford Performance.

I noticed an OEM pickup tube...were you running a race-type big volume pan and georotor pump when the thing died?
No was all stock

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
A really well-baffled 10 or 12qt pan, a georotor pump plus cyl head oil pressure lines would prob pay off big time...seeing how the motor died and how it spends its life :D.

And ya gotta love your work pants...ummm...errr...pjs!

TMO Supporting Vendors