The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Saving a Mach1 Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Minneapolis
Beautiful color. Should be a lot of fun! Sucks you had to mess with the engine, but I like that you are doing durability improvements.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thank you for saving a Mach 1, you are a good public servant and a true humanitarian in helping bring back an injured Mustang to good health to gallop with the rest of us on the asphalt fields of America.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Especially nice since it is one with the " Handling Package. " It is amazing that Mach 1s are getting easier to find all around the US, but finding one with Recaros and the " Handling Package " is downright difficult. It seems it is almost a limited edition since most of the Dealers are just loading them up to make as much profit as possible or ( which is more likely the case ) they just don't understand the real DNA of the car and they think Navigation is more important than stiction and G forces!?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Michigan
Long overdue for update.…

Short block has been together for a while now. Have been working on heads with just minor blending and smoothing where needed.

Ended up with the following, mostly endurance upgrades:
New block and crank
Mahle Motorsports pistons
Manley rods
Clevite coated bearings
GT500 pump, pan, and pickup tube
GT500 cartridge oil filter
PAC1281x springs

Notice the pump rotor difference between the stock and GT500.

Great father son project, nice to see him turning wrenches instead of flipping through social media.

1A1668BE-B32D-468B-9C76-815E9988D4E1.jpeg87C0C830-8CD3-4724-BC86-9C667B71E47F.jpeg65EF49ED-0C0E-4A4D-AB8B-2672360490EF.jpeg2F8D20BC-631F-41EE-8D01-80FE48CDB2DF.jpegA901F7E7-7001-4F3D-82E5-2ACC8CAF7682.jpeg22ADCDB9-9F88-4747-8AE3-C9F8D6A0B037.jpeg8B6CE8AF-18F3-4264-9342-1A6737CF1BF9.jpeg52A36872-838B-4F43-A9DA-58922D96B72E.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Michigan
Overdue for an update.

Car is back together and appears now to be fully sorted and complete. We took it to Gingerman for its first track event. Also Max’s first track event behind the wheel, both did outstanding! He did great and progressed quickly per the instructor friend I hooked him up with. Trip odo said he put 112 track miles on it ! Not sure what made me more nervous, him or my first Coyote build staying together.

Great weekend, very much looking forward to doing more of these together. We’ll take both cars next time.

IMG_1091.jpegIMG_1452.jpegIMG_1453.jpeg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Fantastic, my son got his first taste of running on a road course at Gingerman also, and for three days he hammered my little " Spec Miata " around the course. That is a great place to take your " Saved Mach " and get it sorted out , but also a great place for your son to have his first track outing since it is a safe place for both. Thanks for posting, great to see the Blue Beast all back together!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Michigan
Well this got out of hand quickly….winter projects

Steeda dual rates, comp bars, DSC controller, and subframe bushing supports. Vorshlag camber plates and brake cooling air deflectors. Wheel studs and rear tow hook. Divorced the clutch reservoir using a Ranger clutch reservoir and S550 auto trans m/c reservoir. The go to GM reservoir seems to now be out of stock. Flushed / bled brakes with Castrol SRF. Picked up some gently used Forgelines for track tires. Lastly made my own jacking rails to be full length and work with the FP tie down hooks.

Now we to work on this years track schedule.

IMG_0044.jpeg

IMG_0985.jpeg

IMG_0987.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Michigan
Looks like you did Mohawk in 23. Are you planning to do that again this year? If so, I'll see you there.
It's always strange somehow to see people drive and modify a car that I've spent some late nights and weekends designing a few years ago, so cool to see people enjoying them!
I can definitely relate to that, I was the driving force behind the F150 Tremor. I get great pleasure reading all the wonderful reviews and seeing dedicated forums and groups to the new brand. Retired fall of 2022 as F150 Engineering Program Manager.

Yes, we did Mohawk last fall and will most likely be there again this year. I instructed and it was my son’s first event as a driver. Was pleasantly surprised how capable the M1 was in stock form, well done !

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SC
Oh, I'm not really the one to congratulate for the handling of the car, I just gave my 2 cents as a Mustang owner and track enthusiast, and made sure it looked good :p
Well, apparently you did hell of a job and those Mach 1's look amazing!

Did you have anything to do with the design process of the PP1 spoiler? From what I remember, they were saying a lot more research went into that thing than it meets thw eye. Always wondered if that's true. I am planning to get one of those simply because of how it looks lol.

TMO Supporting Vendors