The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Season Your Rotors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occasionally I read (or speak to folks at the track) about people complaining of warped or cracked rotors after a track day or few and then find out they didn't take the steps to "season" the rotors properly. I have baer slotted/drilled rotors and spent 1 week doing this painful, but necessary process. After 10 track days of fast and hard driving and multiple sets of Hawk pads, the rotors are in fine shape (pics forthcoming).

Here's the process I used, taken from here[1]. YMMV.
And this process DID make me nauseous. lol :-\

[1] http://www.baer.com/tech-center/season-your-rotors

Season your rotors

The first step in preparing the brake system for duty is to “SEASON” the rotors. The most visible effects are that of burning the machine oils from the surface of the iron and establishing a wear pattern between the pad and rotor. The most complex task it performs is that of relieving the internal stresses within the material. If you’ve ever poured water into a glass of ice and noticed the ice cracking, then you’ve witnessed first hand the effects of internal stresses.

By gradually heating the material, the crystalline matrix will reconfigure to relieve these internal stresses. After these stresses are relieved, the rotor is ready to accept the heat of bedding pads. Heating the rotors before they are fully seasoned can result in material deformation due to the unrelieved internal stresses in the material. This deformation may cause a vibration from the brakes.

Rotors need to be gradually elevated to “race” temperatures before any severe use. A “nibble”, or slight vibration, normally indicates rotors that were heated too quickly. After initial “Seasoning”, when running your car at open track events or serious canyon carving, you should use the first lap of a session (or first couple miles of open road), to warm the brakes as well as the engine, gearbox, etc. Where an engine turns chemical energy into motion, the brakes turn that motion into thermal energy.... and lots of it! And where there is no cooling system for the brakes as there is for the engine, and there’s not, the brakes could use the courtesy of a warm-up lap.

Remember to ALWAYS WARM THE BRAKES before any heavy use!

Seasoning Procedure:

Before you begin, please note: The following represents the minimum recommended, “Seasoning” process. If your situation offers any opportunity to perform gentle preliminary “Seasoning” outlined in Step 2 below for a longer period of time, this will generally render even better performance and increase further long-term rotor life. Use the vehicle for 5 to 6 days of gentle driving. Use the brakes to the same extent that you used the stock brakes, DO NOT TEST PERFORMANCE or ATTEMPT HEAVY USE UNTIL ALL ITEMS OUTLINED HAVE BEEN COMPLETED. It is imperative that excessive heat is not put into the rotors at this stage. They need temperature-cycling to relieve the internal stresses.

Note: Zinc plated rotors (which are an extra cost option) need a couple of extra days of driving to wear through the plating before “Seasoning” actually will begin. Find a safe location where the brakes can be run to temperature. Your goal is to gradually increase brake temperatures with progressively faster stops. Start by performing four 60 to 70 mph stops, as you would in the normal course of driving.

Next, perform four medium effort partial stops (about 50 %) from 60 mph down to 15 mph. Follow this with five minutes of freeway driving with LITTLE to NO BRAKING to allow the rotors to cool.

Then, perform four medium-hard effort partial stops (about 75 %) from 60 mph down to 15 mph. Follow this with ten minutes of freeway driving with LITTLE to NO BRAKING to allow the rotors to cool.

Park the car and allow the brakes to cool overnight to ambient temperature. You are now 50 % done with the rotor “Seasoning/Bedding” procedure proceed to STEP 4 the following day.

Return to the safe location where the brakes can be run to temperature. Make sure the brakes are warmed to full operating temperature and then, perform four medium effort partial stops (about 50 %) from 60 mph down to 15 mph. Follow this with
five minutes of freeway driving with LITTLE to NO BRAKING to allow the rotors to cool. Then, perform four medium-hard effort partial stops (about 75 %) from 60 mph down to 15 mph. Follow this with ten minutes of freeway driving with LITTLE to NO BRAKINGto allow the rotors to cool.

NOW, make six HARD partial stops from 60+ mph down to 15 mph or until rotors have reached an operation temperature of between 900 and 1,100° (Note: Temperature paints to accurately measure rotor temperature may be purchased from Baer Racing). Every effort should be made to perform this procedure without locking a wheel. Follow this with ten minutes of freeway driving with LITTLE to NO BRAKING to allow the rotors to cool.

Let the system cool off over night. The rotors are then ready for the next step in Preparing your Brake System: Bedding Pads.

If any of this is unclear, or you have comments, please call the us at (602) 233-1411

I bought dba T3 4000/5000 r/f new
And I have hawk dtc 60/70 r/f used for 2 track days
And stock original OEM pads for the street

My question is do I season the rotors with the OEM or the hawk pads?

Jza1736 said:
I bought dba T3 4000/5000 r/f new
And I have hawk dtc 60/70 r/f used for 2 track days
And stock original OEM pads for the street

My question is do I season the rotors with the OEM or the hawk pads?
Ideally you should only run pad compound on your rotors. If you switch back and forth you can glaze them and you won't get good bite.

Grant 302 said:
I use an empty industrial area with 50-55 mph roads near the freeway. I do all the stopping around a block making right hand turns. Then head to the freeway for the cooling periods. Come back and repeat for the next cycle.

You're in SoCal too, right? Shouldn't be hard to find a place like I use.

I wish I was in SoCal. Lucky me I am in frigid MN.

cloud9 said:
Ideally you should only run pad compound on your rotors. If you switch back and forth you can glaze them and you won't get good bite.

I did that for my first 3 track days. The money tree dropped some more cash leaves and I bought the separate track rotors :)

So now I follow the season procedure first and then do the manufactures bedding procedure? Or does the seasoning also bed the pads?

Jza1736 said:
I did that for my first 3 track days. The money tree dropped some more cash leaves and I bought the separate track rotors :)

So now I follow the season procedure first and then do the manufactures bedding procedure? Or does the seasoning also bed the pads?
Ideally season first, then do the bedding procedure.

So clearly trying to season & bed in the middle of a track day won't work. For those of you taking a back-up set of rotors and pads to the track, are you doing this bedding prior to track day and then removing the new pads & rotors so you have the back-ups ready to go??

LS110 said:
So clearly trying to season & bed in the middle of a track day won't work. For those of you taking a back-up set of rotors and pads to the track, are you doing this bedding prior to track day and then removing the new pads & rotors so you have the back-ups ready to go??
I do season them or bring ones that are used but not shot.

Used but not shot is a great idea. I am going to replace my current rotors and pads when they clearly have a couple of days left in them, and then I will have my back up set.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
maybe I am not the only one wondering this but is this something that can be sent out and done? I know there is no way to do that procedure around here without going to jail or causing an accident.

Maybe you guys out there that can do this safely can charge a nominal fee to do it for the members here that cant do it safely? Just a thought.

I'll be installing new rotors and pads at the same time. I hadn't planed on buying sacrificial pads. Maybe if I put 300 street miles on them first it might help.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
racered302 said:
I'll be installing new rotors and pads at the same time. I hadn't planed on buying sacrificial pads. Maybe if I put 300 street miles on them first it might help.

Actually, it won't. Pads need to be bedded in with generating high temps, hence all bedding procedure's defined by brake pad manufacturers refer to high speeds and fairly hard braking, with cooling cycles in between. See http://www.trackdaysolutions.com/bedding_procedure.html, Pagid pads like a slightly more aggressive bedding procedure due to their chemical composition, especially the endurance racing pads.

-Pete

PS: Any rotors that are cryo treated don't need to be 'seasoned' also.

Sesshomurai

racered302 said:

Most rotors on the market require proper seasoning unless indicated by the manufacturer.

Just follow the procedure above. Then do your harsher pad bedding after. You'll be good to go and get good life from your rotors.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I am not aware of any company that requires that you use a different and more aggressive pad for rotor seasoning. If anything you do not want to heat up the rotors too much at any point. See http://www.baer.com/tech-center/season-your-rotors. Lastly, mixing and matching pad compounds, especially different pad formulations, should not be done if it can be avoided.

-Pete

PS: Just so everyone is clear, you do not need to season rotors if they are cryo frozen. That's the whole point of having them treated.

PeteInCT said:
I am not aware of any company that requires that you use a different and more aggressive pad for rotor seasoning. If anything you do not want to heat up the rotors too much at any point. See http://www.baer.com/tech-center/season-your-rotors. Lastly, mixing and matching pad compounds, especially different pad formulations, should not be done if it can be avoided.

-Pete

PS: Just so everyone is clear, you do not need to season rotors if they are cryo frozen. That's the whole point of having them treated.
Bingo.

Sesshomurai

Which of the major rotor brands offer cryo treated rotors? Or is there a place you send them? If so, how much and how long?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
DGRacing said:
Which of the major rotor brands offer cryo treated rotors? Or is there a place you send them? If so, how much and how long?

DBA, Coleman and Frozen Rotors all do it. GiroDisc may also, not sure. Diversified Cryogenics does custom freezing (they are part of Frozen Rotors and Centric ). Costs vary. ETA varies but I've seen about a week turn-around time.

Justin - "pre-bedded' pads aren't a bad thing but even when done I personally bed them in manually also, if for not other reason than you need to mate the pad to the rotor and get the pad compound embedded in the rotor to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel