The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

self kitted diff cooler overview with parts list.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
Very Nice! I've been looking for a great list to build out a cooler. Why did you use a 6an check valve and -8 on the rest? Were you getting too much flow with 8an or doesn't it matter because the derale is 11/32's?

Last edited:

1 old racer

Too blessed to be stressed and old track whore,
Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
Here is a update to my diff cooler build. The most asked question and comment is reguarding why I put the pump before the cooler because it is poor practice. Answer is they are correct. However, due to the fact of the pump and coolers location, (inside the spare tire well), excessive heat soak was not a issue. But this really bother some people. So just to show how easy it was and is to hook it up correctly I did. Now all is well and to be honest it should have been done this way the first time but I was one AN fitting short. So here it is all corrected. I also improved the overall install by adding some 3/32 thick rubber sheet to any area that might touch the tub and under the pump for a little more vib damping.
20210424_110329-jpg.jpg

sfo
Here is a update to my diff cooler build. The most asked question and comment is reguarding why I put the pump before the cooler because it is poor practice.

I'm the weird guy who believes opposite. The reason 99% want pump after cooler is so the pump does not get hot oil in it. I call BS on that because if the fluid is being kept at say 220F on the T-stat then the cooler is keeping all the fluid at that level. The volume of fluid is small and the tilton pump does like 60GPH!!!. The Delta from one side to the other is nothing to worry about. Also the temp of the fluid at hotest is lower than the spec of what the pump can take. So why bother?

What I do worry about is the head of oil and air the pump must pull so I want that as close as possible to the outflow of the diff (source). You get more head or tougher head to pull when you are on the grid and you just turn the pump on before you take off so you don't forget to turn it on at lap 2 when the temp comes up. Lots of head also when you change your diff fluid and that 1st suck to prime the pump. Also, when the car sits for a while between races you get some drainback so more head to pull again. Finally there is pressure drop across any cooler. Sucking through a cooler is lower pressure while pushing through a cooler is higher pressure through the cooler. You cool better!

So...I actually think you are better off with pump before cooler.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Good inputs thanks! I'm onto this soon for 2022, new to the Mustang GT world but been tracking at ACS for years (before ACS is gone to short track (ugh NASCAR) maybe 2023?) Do any of these void warranties, thought to ask?

TMO Supporting Vendors