The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

So long charger and challenger .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I was curious about the warranty on a EV. So I googled it.

I found this:

Federal law requires automakers to warranty EV and hybrid batteries for at least eight years or 100,000 miles. California requires a 10-year, 150,000-mile warranty on EV and hybrid batteries. Still, EV battery warranties vary considerably, especially when it comes to degradation.

this owner may not have this bill to pay.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
Ready to get flamed , but having sold Dodges for 2.5 decades I will stand up for them as they stretched out the lifetime of the Challenger and Charger while foregoing CAFE requirements with these two beasts for well over ten years. Demons, Redeyes, Hellcats, wide bodies, etc. they pushed the power envelope for a very long time while these two machines constituted their entire car product line for quite awhile. The need to switch over to EV ( we sometimes forget this is a Worldwide issue , not something just in the US ) has been slower at Stellantis than any other major Manufacturer, but they have to jump into the fray. Check out the new EV Muscle Car Tim Kuniskis just announced ( google the stunningly beautiful Charger Concept Car just released ) and since he is very much a performance guy like Mulally, the fast, fun beasts are not going to be dead. I don't see the ICE dying off for a couple or decades at the minimum, and we probably need to realize that even Ford says they want to be 40% Electric by 2030, so that means there will be 60% still running on petroleum.
I am 70 and I decided as I aged not to become cynical like a couple of my grandparents became, as well as many friends are today, because one really should realize the next 10-20 years may or may not be in the cards. I won't be hammering the pedal when things finally make a change but right now I can embrace change since it is inevitable and has been since the beginning of the " Industrial Revolution."
Humans do not like change, even when History proves to them how cool it can be and how much they will come to rely and appreciate the advancements, yet we seem to think things are so different in each case that affects us. I remember my Grandfather telling me how much his father railed against the " Horseless Carriage " and how it was screwing up things, scaring the horses and frightening so many people , plus they always got stuck in the mud. My Grandfather was quietly fascinated, never said much, but as things developed and automobiles became the norm, even his father embraced the new technology. As for my Grandfather he became a mechanic and worked on cars his entire life, even owning a Sinclair Station for some years, and as he aged he, like so many during the 70s complained about the dang catalytic converters, the loss of power in cars and that things were getting messed up. Funny, how so many of us forgot that pollution then meant LA had constant air quality issues , along with other parts of the US. We needed to make changes and the need to make cars more efficient and cleaner burning brought us the longest " Real " age of the Muscle Cars. Unlike the 60s and very early 70s, this age of insane power has lasted decades.
So, again, like each small Chapter of Industrial/Technological change, we as always ( some say it is human nature ) complain and worry when most of us could look back at our lives and see things we absolutely don't want to do without and we are even thankful for.
I, for one, have wondered why Nebraska has been asleep, when this State has the most consistent wind average of any State in America, and wind power would be super successful here, yet there has been little advancement. The reason is always simple, power from coal, nuclear or natural gas was too cheap ( electrical rates here are among the lowest in the Country ) so why pursue?
It seems we need some drama for things to move forward, and though most folks have agreed for years we need to move away from coal, the move away from heavy petroleum use has folks in arms. Yet the rational difference is petroleum is used in a zillion different ways, infrastructure is slow, and with the millions of vehicles on the road and the time it will take to phase them out is estimated to be 30-40 years in the future ( if then ).
Love my nasty sounding Mustang, my Viper, my Ram , and my wife's Jeep, but I will get a Hybrid for her next. Why, because the other thing about being old and retired is you become even cheaper ,ha. So , I can go farther , fuel up less and still take long trips. I have to laugh at us ( humans ) because I know many on here grew up reading Popular Mechanics and the search for the real " Holy Grail, " magic fuel economy extenders or ways to run on alternative fuels. Crazy gas mileage improvers were often the rage and I know many of us bought some device that was supposed to help us get insane fuel economy.

Nuff said, I only wish I could live to be 90-95 ( no one in my family made it that far ), because I believe the American consumer will see super fun machines, they will demand many are still interactive , and who knows what will power them? Could we see our grandchildren complaining how obsolete their EVs are because vehicles now run on Nuclear fusion ---- who knows?

Well said...

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Today I was chillin' at a stoplight in my F150. This guy in a Tesla next to me looks like he's taking it for a test drive. Light turns green and this thing ROCKETS off. Holy cow. He made like the next five lights before they turned red again. It wasn't the Plaid edition either, just a regular Tesla from what I could tell.

Point is, there's good and bad about EVs themselves. Teslas seem cool as heck and the Mach E actually looks really good in the flesh (setting aside the blasphemous use of the Mustang moniker). I'd consider the Mach E or the Tesla for a commuter if all my cars weren't already paid off.

What really grinds my gears is the politics of it all. Government subsidies, mandates, left, right, up, down, whatever. I hate being forced to do things. If government would just let off the gas (pun intended) they might find a few more willing customers. Listen to Elon Musk interviews and you'll see the idealism behind Tesla and it's pretty cool, regardless of government interventions. Heck, just the physics behind rapid charging a battery is a significant strike against EVs, but the tech is cool and it'd be a lot better if we could just let it ride.

*pours another glass of whiskey*

I've been looking at what Dodge/Stellantis has been doing with interest ever since their CEO made the announcement (Maybe a year ago(?)).
From a design standpoint, it ticks the boxes and I'm sure it will sell from an aesthetic standpoint with their diverse customer base.

One of the things I can't stand though is the fake 126 db sound that they are promoting. The banshee??? Really? So cheesy.

Going back to design (I'm a designer), I tend to lean counterculture and I would prefer a more sculpted, leaner body with less mass. However, they double downed on the slab sided surfacing of previous gen car and toy like proportions. But hey, it sells to their market and it is a business.

I'm sure much like the other electric cars I see on-track their owners will probably have to leave after the second session to find a charger. I'm sure as more tracks embrace this shift and offer chargers on-site, this won't be an issue.

Just my .02. I'll go back to my cave now lol.

NJ
Today I was chillin' at a stoplight in my F150. This guy in a Tesla next to me looks like he's taking it for a test drive. Light turns green and this thing ROCKETS off. Holy cow. He made like the next five lights before they turned red again. It wasn't the Plaid edition either, just a regular Tesla from what I could tell.

Point is, there's good and bad about EVs themselves. Teslas seem cool as heck and the Mach E actually looks really good in the flesh (setting aside the blasphemous use of the Mustang moniker). I'd consider the Mach E or the Tesla for a commuter if all my cars weren't already paid off.
Having driven the Tesla Model 3 Performance model I agree it's very entertaining but still a bit of a one trick pony. Other than the bonkers acceleration it's a pretty unremarkable car IMO. Dodge's attempt at a true electric muscle car (sports car?) sounds promising but it's still hard to accept the fake noises as anything but cheesy. For a daily/commuter it certainly makes more sense. As a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/Corvette/etc. I'm still not sold on it as a convincing replacement for ICE models.

There are other issues as well, out in my (admittedly redneck) section of Florida we still have overhead wires, (and generators so when the hurricane takes the wires down we still have power) , I was talking to a lineman about all the EV stuff, he said it's a disaster, all modern areas of Florida are required to have underground power since about 1985 (hurricane Andrew), he was saying that in some communities where EVs might actually make sense that they can only charge one of two at a time, off of one transformer, (I'm not a lineman so I think that is what he said) if they don't stage them the power lines and infrastructure just wont' handle it in a residential area, the fix is to dig up all of those half of a century worth of underground power lines and upgrade them to more commercial quality services. There's going to be so much unintended consequences of forcing this on the market instead of just letting it evolve over time that it is going to be ridiculous.

The sad truth (for all of us) is ICE is going away....the future is open to all possibilities .............I'll hold on to my Boss for now...........................................make that forever..................

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Politics makes it hard for some to tell if the two lights they are following are tail lights on the proceeding vehicle leading you in the right direction or headlights warning you of an impending disaster. Time will tell.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
The other day I realized the fire department’s are going to put the towing services out of business. It seems every time I see a EV on the side of the road, there are no tow trucks to be found…because the fire truck is on site awaiting to extinguish the ensuing fire from the batteries/motors overheating.

TMO Supporting Vendors