The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

So long charger and challenger .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I just don't see the fear, BS1, because we heard the same issue many years back concerning the " Coal Industry " and it has only been in the last few years that there have been major slowdowns over to the cleaner modes of power. Diesel is not going to go away for awhile because EVs are only around 5% of the vehicles on the ground. That is why I feel we are all getting way to worked up over this, because it will be many years before they overtake ICEs and become the dominant mode of transportation. New technology is what has built this Country and we have not always agreed about this change, but in the end new jobs occurred and new businesses evolved. We worried years ago that folks would not have any work by now, with robots and everything else evolving , yet here we are with the lowest unemployment in history. To that end we have the " Mechanics" of this generation fixing computers, internet systems, and fashioning the metaverse. Crazy times, but we seem to be all working at something, and I just can't get overly concerned about that " The Sky is Falling," because I have heard it so many times over the last 7 decades. Hang in there , you will be slinging tires for quite a few more years and if things get too electrifying for you , there will be " Vintage Races " which may turn out to be the new draw for us old timers.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Easy to be optimistic as I thought the Earth was at the end with stinky Catalytic Converters and lack of HP.
And before that we were told the earth drinking water would be polluted and we would be operating hover cars by the Bi-Centenial. (1976).

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
California has banned any future gas station openings (or proposed same), they will not allow you to run natural gas for your house, you must be connected to the grid for all that regulation you get rolling black outs, ignore hydroelectric sources of power , and bullet trains to nowhere.
This is part of the problem. California sees itself as one environment, and not a vast area with different population concentrations, transportation needs and requirements. To someone who travels to the city they can see from the house, California's solutions may make sense. There government has been influencing (Bribing) the population to drive EV's for years. This works for folks who, like I said, can see the city from their home urban suburban dwellers. I am certain folks raising the grapes, vegetables, and other produce or hauling products to and from markets and living in the rural areas don't see things the same way as their "Central Government". Why a more nuanced approach cant be found???? Don't make me put my tin foil hat on. LOL. The real reason? The people have not demanded it in a way leadership listens to. That would require a representative form of government over pure democracy. Many states lack this. I was born and raised in one.

Last edited:
The issue here is not really technology, it may not even be pollution or global warming. The issue is that the feds have adopted a closed minded view of the future which does not tolerate deviation or moderation, we are being thrown into EVs whether we like them or not, whether they are viable or not, whether they are adaptable to our transportation needs or not. Why is it that the USA is forced to take global warming, air pollution... whatever on the chin when per capita, we are not a massive polluter. When we got back into the moronic Paris accords at the cost of 3 trillion or more, so we could assist other countries in their environmental needs, all it did was line the pockets of government officials, there is no goals or penalties for these countries not meeting standards.. it was BS. That is the classic government response to everything, tax the crap out of it, dump money into it, but most importantly expand the government while limiting other, worthwhile methods that may be more practical.
Seriously, when I see these environmental hacks like Thurnberg, Margilen, Whetton that jerk that ran for president and Greenpeace in general sell all of their mansions, vehicles, jets and move into caves and start lighting their farts for warmth, I'll freely admit we have a global environmental problem. Funny it doesn't seem to important enough for them to change their lifestyle.

Screenshot_20220810-151755_MeWe.jpg

I did not realized this thread was going to explode the way it did. FWIW I do not watch infomercials or stuff like that but could not get away with this one by Bill Bonner. It's highlighted by Bloomberg, Stock Trend Alerts, Green Bull Research and many more. He just seems, at least for me, to make sense with his points until he gets to the sales pitch. I have to warn you it is a long video. EV is only a small part of the big picture. EV is obviously here and has it's place in certain scenarios like urban or or large corporations for internal or local hub transport. Sorry for being pessimistic but need the true facts from the government and save the world organizations that a full on push for everything that is happening now towards carbon zero (will never happen) will be a holistic for everyone and have true positive results. The scare tactics with weighted studies are getting old and basically as I see a type of brain washing trying to make people react with fear. Yes - studies can be weighted depending on how selective and where data is pulled.

I have a catless, high HP, high revving Mustang that sees the road or track less than 5000 miles a year and know that my carbon including environmental footprint and emissions is less than that of an EV per year including the mining of the lithium than ,production of EV batteries and fuel required to make the electricity to charge the batteries. It's going nowhere. When I need an new engine it will be another V8. As for a DD - I have run the numbers over 200,000 miles. It is not cheaper to have an EV with the upcost and a needed battery replacement. Plus there is a toxic environmental impact with EV batteries from the mining to after the end of life - I won't go there today.

I do want to note that I am not trying to sell something or have any affiliation with any of the companies or people. I just thought there would be a few people that appreciate his view.
Text version:
Video:

I have no problem with electric cars. Just make them fun and interesting. Electric doesn't have to mean Toyota Camry. Like probably everyone on here I've had fun with pretty much anything with wheels since before I could talk and I'm positive I would love a fun, visceral electric car. It seems to me electric still has a bit of an image problem though, and with apologies for stereotyping it seems like the technology is either associated with Those Liberal Dems or Big Government or tech nerds who are more into their screen apps than actually driving a fast car well. But sooner or later really fun electric cars are going to become more mainstream and affordable and I guarantee we will all love driving them.

I was out walking the dog the other day and this macked-out electric Porsche Taycan went rolling by, artificial noises and all, man that thing was sick. I don't care what makes it go or what your politics are, if you don't love that thing you aren't a car guy in my book.

I worry a lot more about kids no longer wanting to drive stuff than I do about electric cars.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
One ride in a Taycan really altered my mind. I realized I like speed more than I like noise. Fortunately we have both now, and I admit a Hybrid using various modes of power is what intrigues me the most and I hope I am around long enough to have one that runs on electric/solar/ICE and regenerates through braking that might just get me 600 miles between stops --- oh, hell, I have to pee now every 200 miles so what am I wishing for?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
I have no problem with electric cars. Just make them fun and interesting. Electric doesn't have to mean Toyota Camry. Like probably everyone on here I've had fun with pretty much anything with wheels since before I could talk and I'm positive I would love a fun, visceral electric car. It seems to me electric still has a bit of an image problem though, and with apologies for stereotyping it seems like the technology is either associated with Those Liberal Dems or Big Government or tech nerds who are more into their screen apps than actually driving a fast car well. But sooner or later really fun electric cars are going to become more mainstream and affordable and I guarantee we will all love driving them.

I was out walking the dog the other day and this macked-out electric Porsche Taycan went rolling by, artificial noises and all, man that thing was sick. I don't care what makes it go or what your politics are, if you don't love that thing you aren't a car guy in my book.

I worry a lot more about kids no longer wanting to drive stuff than I do about electric cars.
So true about kids not wanting to drive, I here myself sounding old when I complain about KPop but happy with me driving them everywhere is bizzaro

I'll miss the engine noise. Just can't imagine a performance car without those lovely sounds.
@JDee I agree. I don't know the details but this Taycan has some sort of electric sound "enhancement" system. Yeah, yeah I know.... but it actually sounds awesome imo. https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...6510/2020-porsche-taycan-engine-sound-option/

I don't mean to threadjack, my only point is I think electric cars have the potential to be an interesting and fun addition to the auto landscape. Not a replacement for ICE, just in addition. I still love my old Mustang and I just put some Shelby mufflers on it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
I did not realized this thread was going to explode the way it did. FWIW I do not watch infomercials or stuff like that but could not get away with this one by Bill Bonner. It's highlighted by Bloomberg, Stock Trend Alerts, Green Bull Research and many more. He just seems, at least for me, to make sense with his points until he gets to the sales pitch. I have to warn you it is a long video. EV is only a small part of the big picture. EV is obviously here and has it's place in certain scenarios like urban or or large corporations for internal or local hub transport. Sorry for being pessimistic but need the true facts from the government and save the world organizations that a full on push for everything that is happening now towards carbon zero (will never happen) will be a holistic for everyone and have true positive results. The scare tactics with weighted studies are getting old and basically as I see a type of brain washing trying to make people react with fear. Yes - studies can be weighted depending on how selective and where data is pulled.

I have a catless, high HP, high revving Mustang that sees the road or track less than 5000 miles a year and know that my carbon including environmental footprint and emissions is less than that of an EV per year including the mining of the lithium than ,production of EV batteries and fuel required to make the electricity to charge the batteries. It's going nowhere. When I need an new engine it will be another V8. As for a DD - I have run the numbers over 200,000 miles. It is not cheaper to have an EV with the upcost and a needed battery replacement. Plus there is a toxic environmental impact with EV batteries from the mining to after the end of life - I won't go there today.

I do want to note that I am not trying to sell something or have any affiliation with any of the companies or people. I just thought there would be a few people that appreciate his view.
Text version:
Video:

Lolol Taycan..when I see the fake engine noise I think of the toy engines that we used to put on our bikes in the 60s that made zoomy noises

View attachment 78341
We used baseball cards running thru the spokes to make our bikes noisy back in the day. We clipped them on the fender supports with clothespins.Other kids even used balloons.

One ride in a Taycan really altered my mind. I realized I like speed more than I like noise. Fortunately we have both now, and I admit a Hybrid using various modes of power is what intrigues me the most and I hope I am around long enough to have one that runs on electric/solar/ICE and regenerates through braking that might just get me 600 miles between stops --- oh, hell, I have to pee now every 200 miles so what am I wishing for?
Don't get me wrong. If I was offered a Taycan I would not turn it down. I've been in a Tesla for a few short bursts on the track during a car control clinic. The acceleration is incredible. The 2 other riders in the car were impressed but quiet. The no noise was really odd. Like what the hell is happening. Riding in a car for me with no sound or smells just took away from the experience. We had to ride in everyone else's car for each lesson. There was definitely a different reaction when the other guys were in the Mustang. There were "Oh ya's!" "That's what I'm talking about's" .... For me driving a a sports car is an all senses included (not taste) visceral experience that gives me joy. It's a break from the things life throw at you and break from all the negativity that can suck you in. I'm negative probably more than others but when I start the Mustang for warm up and hear it sitting at high idle, sound is resonating off the walls on both sides and the garage behind the world is better.

My other posts in this thread are a reaction to the government and government agencies essentially focusing on a small segment of the auto industry with the V8 muscle. Start from the high percentage vehicles on the road - hybridize or EV the DD, SUV's and maybe pickup trucks that are not used for work. There's the environmental impact. Like most of you I have worked hard all my life and paid enormous taxes for what I have. We need to be left alone directly or indirectly if we have something nice or decide to purchase something that brings us joy. We are the ones paying for everything....

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors