The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
May

Sonoma Raceway 5/28-5/29 HPDE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA
I counted 33 cars in my run group, extremely disappointed with SpeedSF. Greedy of them to not cap the run group at 25 or 30 cars. Hopefully the later sessions on sunday people will have already left so I can get some good laps in.

It was a mentally tough day after our paddock neighbor had an intense crash in the very first run group. Made all the other track sessions a little more anxious than normal for me. But overall the car ran great, the weather was awesome and the company was fun.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Trackaire,
I think you were quite wise , because over the years when there seem to be quite a few offs and even accidents at events I have found there is quite often a reason. When a track gets a heavy rain and it appears dry this seems to give some drivers the impression the track is as fast and normal as always, when it can be green due to the fact that all the rubber laid down is gone, and it does not quite have the stick it should. Plus just a slight touch into the grass and one is off to the races since wet areas treat many types of track tires like ice skates. This was the condition of the course at the last track event I was at and the incidents were way too common. It seems like cool mornings, sometimes with dew, also cause folks to get aggressive too soon, because once the sun pops out many think it is time for balls to the wall runs, yet the heat from the yellow globe may have warmed the body , but the pavement has not gotten it's baked in perfection after coming out of the refrigerated night.

Just a few examples, yet I think your feeling of caution is a great safety valve for a couple of reasons;
1. If you are nervous ( we all have been ) you are not fully concentrating on the track and your car, your mind is elsewhere and it should not be.
2. If there are quite a few incidents there is almost always a reason, so take time and analyze.
3. Get to know your car, and if small things seem odd , like the tires do not seem to have their normal grip it can often be the track surface. We tend to look up for the weather and my manta has always been to also look down.
4. Lastly, don't ever feel pressured by others, because it is your 6th sense of feeling uncomfortable and it is a great gift to have, as many do not have that intuition and they seem to be the ones who take the unnecessary and often damaging risks.

Things can always go wrong for all of us, but that is why Instructors strive to teach drivers not just skills with their cars but to fully grasp and master situational awareness.

Bay Area
It was a mentally tough day after our paddock neighbor had an intense crash in the very first run group. Made all the other track sessions a little more anxious than normal for me. But overall the car ran great, the weather was awesome and the company was fun.
Indeed it was mentally tough. That was my buddy that had that incident. He was OK but man the carnage through the entire day was crazy

TMO Supporting Vendors