The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Splitter strut mounting problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am trying to figure out how to mount my Longacre splitter struts to the Blowfish tow hook mount. I sent an email to Steve but thought I would ask here. The Longacre strut end appears to thread from the top down into the body but the tow hook mount requires you to thread up into the clip. There is no room above the tow hook mount so I am stuck. Does the LS splitter have a different strut that would mount correctly? Can I buy the LS struts separately? Any fix you can recommend?

You can buy the Ford racing struts, they are very pricey, i would just stud the longcare ones. You may have to change the J-nut on the blow fish bracket to match the thread on the stud longcare uses. That should work for ya and be easier, cheaper. Good luck.

The regular LS bracket is set-up the same way. Because the Longacre struts are a bit too long I just drilled a hole about 1'' further back on the LS bracket and installed with, I believe a 1/4-20 bolt, from the top. Looking at the picture of the Blowfish bracket it looks like there is enough room behind the strut fastening location to drill a new hole to mount the Longacre strut, although with the large holes there for lightening, there does not look to be as much material to work with. Longacre also makes some nice aluminum mounts to keep the lower strut attaching from pulling through the plastic splitter. It requires a longer 1/4-20 bolt to fit.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Are you saying that if you have a BFR tow hook bracket installed, you don't need part# M-17A626-MB to bolt up the front slitter to?

I just took out the threaded clip on the Blowfish bracket and bought a standard bolt with washers to tighten it from above. I had to take the bumper off to install the top portion of the longcare support rod and get it tightened properly, but it's pretty easy to eyeball the angle that it needs to face with the bumper off.

Just make sure you bought the BF bracket that was designed to include splitter rod mounts. BF has a couple of designs, some models don't have the splitter mounts.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I have the TOW-03-600B part number. Can you tell by this? I ask only because mine was installed a while ago and I'm not sure what version I may have. I did buy it back in May of 2014.

TMO Supporting Vendors