The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Spring rates for coilovers - how much before chassis stiffness becomes weak link

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
Just pulled the trigger on the Maximum Motorspots JRi 2 way adjustable set up. MM Deal of the day $4608 shipped. Thanks to 2012-Boss for the phone call heads up 8)

Went with 600 front and 375 rear spring rate, springs are cheap (relatively) so if fine tuning is needed or if I get big aero we can swap easy. Now the question becomes, do I get them in time to install prior to leaving for VIR on the 21st? Probably not but I am a sicko.
Steve
Woo damn! Very interested in your feedback. Been talking to Brian at HVT recently as well and may be adding their custom 2-way dampers to my set of options...

Placed my order too. I am sending in the spring rate calculation sheet to MM for help with spring selection. Wife is going to be so happy I "saved" $500 on a new set of coil overs.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
ArizonaBOSS said:
Woo damn! Very interested in your feedback. Been talking to Brian at HVT recently as well and may be adding their custom 2-way dampers to my set of options...

Tell Brian you want the Scheier discount ;)

He will most likely be building dampers for my GTS2 car over the winter and wanted to build dampers for my Boss... I just moved too quickly :(

ArizonaBOSS said:

I decided on Cortex 2 way front 1 way rears. Cheaper than the Maximum motorsports stuff since its only one way in the rear Jri.

500/300 spring rate. Not sure how Fillip valved them but he asked what I wanted I told him I drive it one day per week in the spring / summer / fall and track it once per month during that time.

they look super nice - no fancy strut body like the Maximum kit, but they still use the nice Maximum upper camber plates.

Not used to the ridiculous shaft diameter on the front strut it looks almost like overkill.

cortex-coilovers.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Great looking pieces, install should be a breeze. Shaft diameter on the JRis is massive, becauseracecar 8) let us know how they perform, what spring rates? Since the spring is on the shock out back you should need a slightly stiffer spring than usual as the lever arm of the control arms is longer than stock.
The arms race at BMO is escalating, I will have Nuclear capability in 2017, when the #21 GT 350 arrives.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
twistedneck said:
I decided on Cortex 2 way front 1 way rears. Cheaper than the Maximum motorsports stuff since its only one way in the rear Jri.

500/300 spring rate. Not sure how Fillip valved them but he asked what I wanted I told him I drive it one day per week in the spring / summer / fall and track it once per month during that time.

they look super nice - no fancy strut body like the Maximum kit, but they still use the nice Maximum upper camber plates.

Not used to the ridiculous shaft diameter on the front strut it looks almost like overkill.

http://checkja.com/images/cortex-coilovers.jp]
[/quote]

Nice

NFSBOSS said:
Jeff, very nice. Did you buy the offset front struts?

Yes, for sure.. I could not get the Cortex setup and skip one of his main unique things :)

I didn't get the ones from T&A because I could not get back in touch with Alex after the first email or two. Seeing these monsters i'm hardly worried. Thanks for the heads up on rear rates.. I think its going to be a 19mm rear bar to start.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
Does everyone see the CorteX black friday deal ad here? 10% off...and it says JRi coilovers, watts links, and torque arms!

Yeah that is a great discount if you're buying, especially if you're buying a whole kit!! A little too early for me, though.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Got my Maximum Motorsports Double adjustable JRis coil overs done this morning
IMG_0615_zps8002fd7a.jpg
IMG_0616_zps93951248.jpg

Had to redo the rears because I stupidly didn't wait for instructions and put the helper springs on the bottom instead of the top and the bumpstops on the shaft instead of the frame mount. MM finally sent me the install instructions last night so I actually followed them and got the fronts on too. Tomorrow I will put the car on the alignment rack and set ride heights and camber/caster/toe.

Will have a set of Koni Yellows/MM Camber plates/ P Springs for sale soon.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors