The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Stasik_a4 Down Under Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
I went for a drive on a not so nice but rather cold and wet Sunday afternoon and managed to park next to this show car.
I also managed to find these two handsome young guys giving away and signing some merchandise. So not only i got to meet them, take photos with them get some free stuff but i also dragged them outside to see my race car and got them to vandalize it. ;) :D
You guys hopefully can recognize at least one of the guys since he is in your country racing.
20191107_173459.jpg20191107_172956.jpgreceived_1012447512423073.jpegreceived_2416430175272629.jpegreceived_2418243228428243.jpeg20191107_185603.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I envy you , Coulthard and McLaughlin both, that is a coup, two of my favorite drivers from the Australian V8 Supercar Series. Any word on Coulthard running anything other than a one off for a Honda Team in a different race series? We all know where McLaughlin is running currently.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
I envy you , Coulthard and McLaughlin both, that is a coup, two of my favorite drivers from the Australian V8 Supercar Series. Any word on Coulthard running anything other than a one off for a Honda Team in a different race series? We all know where McLaughlin is running currently.
Yea two awesome guys together, no word on Coulthard he struggled to get a seat in 2022 championship.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
Well here is another cooling for the driver project that i completed. I got the idea from the cool-shirt system but then i also integrated the drink bottle in the cooler which not only will hold the bottle in place securely but will also keep cool.
The system is a 19qt cooler made by engel which is the same cooler that cool-shirt system use, it sits on the aluminum cool-shirt system mounting tray secured in the spare wheel compartment low center of gravity.
All hardware fittings and shirt were bought from cool-shirt and everything is from amazon.
Couple of days worth of work and its all done and functioning, very surprised at how well it works at keeping your body cool and comfortable.
I normally place couple of frozen blocks in the bottom and either fill it up with water or sometimes i add some ice in there, and as ice melts through out the day it keeps the water colder.
Plug myself in to the line that runs from the rear to the seat and turn the switch when ever i need to and let it run all the time or turn it off when my nuts are cold. ;) :p :D :D :D
20220212_161806.jpg20220213_074646.jpg20220213_074818.jpg20220213_084106.jpg20220213_090339.jpg20220213_090349.jpg20220213_093140.jpg20220213_095915.jpg20220213_100558.jpg20220213_100616.jpg20220213_112039.jpg20220213_113145.jpg20220213_120706.jpg20220213_135336.jpg20220213_140637.jpg20220315_184706.jpg20220220_144117.jpg20220316_191954.jpg20220326_172832.jpg20220326_172902.jpg20220326_173729.jpg20220326_173747.jpg

20220213_135349.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Interesting , I had a 17 quart system in my 2013 Boss 302S but it came complete, whereas you look like you built the unit yourself. I kept wondering about how I would do in the Mach 1 without the system, but you may have given me an idea with the pics you sent.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
Interesting , I had a 17 quart system in my 2013 Boss 302S but it came complete, whereas you look like you built the unit yourself. I kept wondering about how I would do in the Mach 1 without the system, but you may have given me an idea with the pics you sent.
Yea it would have been easier to buy something already made, but where is the fun in that? ;)
I know i can proudly say that i have been building my own car and i have fun doing it and it keeps me occupied and busy doing things.
I never had anything like this so i though i would try it and give it a go.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Loved the run at Sandown, and it appears you only got passed by a Kona Blue Boss 302 with more motor. We need to get you a TrackMustangsOnline decal so you can add even more intimidation to all the Mustangs you were passing. Seemed like you were the only one really understanding that the entire track is there to use, and I can tell you like the curbing as much as I do. Those are just berms to help rotate the car a bit, right? Look forward to seeing other tracks down under , but Sandown looks fun and you were rocking and a rolling there!

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
Loved the run at Sandown, and it appears you only got passed by a Kona Blue Boss 302 with more motor. We need to get you a TrackMustangsOnline decal so you can add even more intimidation to all the Mustangs you were passing. Seemed like you were the only one really understanding that the entire track is there to use, and I can tell you like the curbing as much as I do. Those are just berms to help rotate the car a bit, right? Look forward to seeing other tracks down under , but Sandown looks fun and you were rocking and a rolling there!
Yea that 302 is a race car with a cage and light weight, i was on stock wheels and stock Pirelli tires with standard seats and full interior running street/track front and rear hawk pads.
Im actually impressed how well the stock tires grip once you get some heat into them. Would love to try some stickier tires and better pads. So many people recommending different pads so i just dont know what i should go for? Seeing that video and watching the braking markers and speed through corners and momentum, what would you say i should try and get?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Holy Crap you were on the Pee-rellis?! Just skip talking to us, go straight to a V8 Supercars Team and tell them you are their new hot shoe, ha! Get some better tires and some more aggressive pads and you will be right there with the Boss 302S. He was pulling you on the straights, but you sure looked like you were hangin with him in the twists.
What brake pad brands do you have access down under, because I would imagine that is part of the equation in keeping your costs reasonable. I imagine EBC, Hawk, Pagid, and some others are available there, but I think tires are pads are your next step, especially since they really should be two of your top options from the beginning.
Tires are and interesting issue because so many brands do not even carry a specific model in different Countries. I will say though, that the PZeroes are not quick and I imagine a change there to something else will bring you some shocking improvements. Also, are you just running standard size rims?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
A quick check shows that Australia seems to have attracted more of the performance tire market than a lot of places and you even show the Hankook RS-4 which is unobtainium here ( though I did not check sizes ). With Pilot Sport Cup 2s, Falken RT615s, Yokohama A052s ( these might be a different version that is not quite at sticky), Goodyears, Dunlops and more , you get some more aggressive tires and you will lop off a lot of time. Look into some wider wheels too and your times will drop and I am sure you can find a good solid track pad down under too.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
A quick check shows that Australia seems to have attracted more of the performance tire market than a lot of places and you even show the Hankook RS-4 which is unobtainium here ( though I did not check sizes ). With Pilot Sport Cup 2s, Falken RT615s, Yokohama A052s ( these might be a different version that is not quite at sticky), Goodyears, Dunlops and more , you get some more aggressive tires and you will lop off a lot of time. Look into some wider wheels too and your times will drop and I am sure you can find a good solid track pad down under too.
Yea some tire choices there, with the wider wheels im not sure if to run 10" or 11" wide front and rear or stagger them front and rear with possibly some spacers on the front

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
How are you doing down under for ARP or similar extended studs ( say 3 inches ) because squared is the way to go, but at present the studs are difficult to acquire. A 10 inch wheel likely would not be an issue, but it would limit the size of tire. I think most on here would tell you to get as big of a tire as possible but as noted there are some issues at present in the US. You will definitely be faster than on the PZeroes ( somehow the word zero seems appropriate , ha ) but go square so you can rotate and get more life out of your tires.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
How are you doing down under for ARP or similar extended studs ( say 3 inches ) because squared is the way to go, but at present the studs are difficult to acquire. A 10 inch wheel likely would not be an issue, but it would limit the size of tire. I think most on here would tell you to get as big of a tire as possible but as noted there are some issues at present in the US. You will definitely be faster than on the PZeroes ( somehow the word zero seems appropriate , ha ) but go square so you can rotate and get more life out of your tires.
most of the stuff we have to get from US, im waiting to get some OP GT4 studs but they have been out of stock for god knows how long now. So your saying that i can run 11" at the front? with what size spacers?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Tim at Optimum Performance is a good guy and one of the longest Sponsors on TMO. Tell him to send you some Decals for your Mustang, they are said to cause major intimidation to drivers in Australia! Tim is the go to guy also for spacers and his are some of the lightest around. You will need a 25mm one up front and yes you should be able to run 19x11s. If you go that route I will predict that Kona Blue Boss will be wondering where the heck you found the HP ---- you won't of course but you will be going around the corners and chicanes at much greater speeds. It already looked like your line was better than anyone else's!!??

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I got some parts from amazon and some from cool shirt, what are you interested and ill get the list together. :)
If it’s not too much of a bother, everything. I’ve invited Bill to come visit over the summer with his new Mach1. Being in the south now, it be warm during the summer. My trailer will get a new air conditioner soon. I will need the same for the driver during sessions. Your trunk mounted system looks perfect for a car with a full interior. Bill and I both have full interiors. Oh yea….and we are old also. Comfort is getting more important these days. :thumbsup:

TMO Supporting Vendors