The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Stasik_a4 Down Under Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
Sorry to hear about the breakage. Did the pulley clutch just shear off? Fingers crossed that the engine is fine.

Nice to see that even though your tow vehicle is a Toyota (?) it's set up for Ford-ing. ;)
Yea the tow vehicle is set-up for lots of different things and does it well.
Yea fingers crossed the engine is fine as it only has 2000 miles on it since it has been replaced under warranty, after oil cooler failed on me at the last track day prior to covid.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
So this is the session that the A/C compressor goes and tensioner pulley goes causing to engine overheat in seconds. All happens so quickly towards the end of the video as i was coming onto the main straight.
It was all new to me, New Nankang Ar1 tyres, New Gloc R16 and R12 pads with 2 piece rotors, New camber settings front and rear and also new track that i never been to, so not too bad times for now ;) :D , considering the V8 Supercars do it in 1.09.65

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for posting and nice to see you got the Garmin Catalyst! Rough deal about the motor and I have my fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
Fingers crossed your engine is ok!
well I went and bought SnapOn SVTS272A cooling system tester and used the correct adapter (red) that it came with to pressure test the system. I left it sitting overnight at 21Psi and have no coolant or pressure loss which is a good start.
I'll have to do the combustion leak test and see if that turns out OK.SVTS272A.jpg

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
Since my last event few months ago where I did the drive belt and A/C Clutch on the track and overheated the engine. I have replaced it all together with the new thermostat, the car seems to be idling and running alright at home.
Yesterday I had another track day and it was a hot day with outside temps at 95F (35C) with little to no breeze. The car handled very well and tyre grip was awesome, but I have been noticing that coolant temps were getting very high.
The cylinder head temp were reaching 262F (128C) and the coolant temp gauge was spiking to the top also..

I don't know if this is a result of a large oil cooler that is sitting in front of the radiator and adding extra heat to the cooling system. Do I need to have a bigger separation gap between the two?

What are the temps when you guys are racing?
@honeybadger @Fabman @Bill Pemberton @TMSBOSS @blacksheep-1 @flyhalf

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have not seen temps like that on my 350. 230’s after a 25 minute session we’re the highest I have seen. Ford puts coolers in the area in front of the tires venting front and rear dumping the heat on the tire, wheel area.
there may be some value in looking into doing the same.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
I have not seen temps like that on my 350. 230’s after a 25 minute session we’re the highest I have seen. Ford puts coolers in the area in front of the tires venting front and rear dumping the heat on the tire, wheel area.
there may be some value in looking into doing the same.
I have the same oil cooler as FP350S and in the same location with the same ducting on my GT.
Unfortunately we don't have access to the 350 front so I can't put the coolers in that location 😕

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have the same oil cooler as FP350S and in the same location with the same ducting on my GT.
Unfortunately we don't have access to the 350 front so I can't put the coolers in that location 😕
You have the same or similar air flow in, how about out? A vented hood may solve some of your problems. Shipping an entire hood down under may be expensive. Have you considered hood vents?

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
You have the same or similar air flow in, how about out? A vented hood may solve some of your problems. Shipping an entire hood down under may be expensive. Have you considered hood vents?
This is the front ducting, and as for the airflow I'm not sure if it has been reduced or not.
The vent for the hood might have to be the option to look into, but not sure if I should just get one middle or also the sides 🤔

20220726_185947.jpg

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Since my last event few months ago where I did the drive belt and A/C Clutch on the track and overheated the engine. I have replaced it all together with the new thermostat, the car seems to be idling and running alright at home.
Yesterday I had another track day and it was a hot day with outside temps at 95F (35C) with little to no breeze. The car handled very well and tyre grip was awesome, but I have been noticing that coolant temps were getting very high.
The cylinder head temp were reaching 262F (128C) and the coolant temp gauge was spiking to the top also..

I don't know if this is a result of a large oil cooler that is sitting in front of the radiator and adding extra heat to the cooling system. Do I need to have a bigger separation gap between the two?

What are the temps when you guys are racing?
@honeybadger @Fabman @Bill Pemberton @TMSBOSS @blacksheep-1
I’m running around 210ish at full tilt. ..Never a heating problem even in 100* + heat. Maybe @ tick over 220 in the heat.
A bigger gap between the cooler and radiator will allow air to build up behind the cooler and block flow through it. @captdistraction has info on that in his build thread. Yes on the water wetter. Drain all the coolant and replace with distilled water.
Air through the radiator will stall if you can’t efficiently exhaust it from the engine bay. One solution: Hood vents….lots of big hood vents. :)

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This is the front ducting, and as for the airflow I'm not sure if it has been reduced or not.
The vent for the hood might have to be the option to look into, but not sure if I should just get one middle or also the sides 🤔

View attachment 81395
After looking at your ducting it appears to me maybe you are placing too much emphasis on ducting the cooler, to the detriment of the radiator. I ducted my cooler separately but didn’t unnecessarily block flow to the radiator to accomplish that. The radiator face still sees quite a bit of unrestricted airflow. Also, duct it so that air cannot go over, under or around the sides of the radiator. Air takes the path of least resistance so if it can bypass the radiator, it will. I have pic’s of mine somewhere….

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
After looking at your ducting it appears to me maybe you are placing too much emphasis on ducting the cooler, to the detriment of the radiator. I ducted my cooler separately but didn’t unnecessarily block flow to the radiator to accomplish that. The radiator face still sees quite a bit of unrestricted airflow. I have pic’s somewhere….
So it looks like yours is in the middle and mine is off to the side like FP350S, your ducting is also straight forward and not curved like mine which is the same as the FP350S cars.
Do you think that this could be the problem 🤔?
When your saying get rid of the coolant and replace it with distilled water, what are the benefits of doing that? what about water wetter like others have mentioned?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So it looks like yours is in the middle and mine is off to the side like FP350S, your ducting is also straight forward and not curved like mine which is the same as the FP350S cars.
Do you think that this could be the problem 🤔?
When your saying get rid of the coolant and replace it with distilled water, what are the benefits of doing that? what about water wetter like others have mentioned?
Glycol based Coolants (antifreeze) retains heat. Good for winter but bad for heat rejection. It will raise the boiling point some but in extreme duty situations can’t reject the heat fast enough. Race tracks also don’t like it because it makes the track super slippery when spilled on the racing surface. Distilled water and water wetter is good. I ducted air to the cooler but tried not to rob it from the radiator, so straight ducting.

TMO Supporting Vendors